Remains returned 1996  
ID'd 10/04/99 *
Name: Mickey Allen Wilson
Rank/Branch: W1/US Army
Unit: 62nd Aviation Company, 11th Combat Aviation, 1st Aviation Brigade
Date of Birth: 28 April 1948
Home City of Record: Mountain View CA
Date of Loss: 08 January 1973
Country of Loss: South Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 16421N 1070956E (YD324528)
Status (in 1973): Missing In Action
Category: 1
Acft/Vehicle/Ground: UH1H
Refno: 1978
Other Personnel in Incident: 
Elbert W. Bush; 
William L. Deane; 
Richard A.Knutson; 
Manuel A. Lauterio; 
William S. Stinson (all missing)
Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 01 April 1991 from one or more of
the following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence
with POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W.
NETWORK 2010 with information from family.


SYNOPSIS: WO1 Richard Knutson, pilot; WO1 Mickey A. Wilson, aircraft
commander; SP5 William S. Stinson, gunner; SP5 Manuel A. Lauterio, crew
chief; and SSgt. Elbert W. Bush and Maj. William L. Dean, both passengers;
were aboard a UH1H helicopter (serial #69-15619) that flew in support of the
American Senior Advisor to the Vietnamese Airborne Division in Quang Tri and
Thua Thien Provinces, working between the provincial capitals of Hue and
Quang Tri.
On January 8, 1973, at about 1430 hours, the aircraft had departed a landing
zone en route to other LZs without making radio contact with the 2nd
Battalion Technical Operations Center. When no radio contact was received by
1500 hours, the other LZs were queried. The helicopter did not go to either
of the two designated LZs, nor had any communication been established with
The helicopter's intended route would have taken it northwest toward Quang
Tri, with a left turn to an LZ south of the Thach Han River. Although the
helicopter failed to contact either LZ along the route, it was later seen
flying northwest toward Quang Tri City and crossing the Thach Han River into
enemy held territory. While in this area, the helicopter was seen to circle
with door guns firing. Enemy automatic weapons fire was heard, and a direct
hit was made on the tail boom by a missile, reportedly an SA7.
Aerial searches of the suspected crash site on January 8 and 9 failed to
locate either the wreckage or the crew. The aircraft was shot down less than
three weeks before American involvement in the war came to an official end.
Intelligence reports indicated that of the six men aboard, four were seen
alive on the ground. Further information indicated that the aircraft did not
explode or burn on impact. The families of the men assumed that their loved
ones would be released with the other POWs. Some were even so informed.
But the crew of the UH1H was not released, and have not been released or
found since that day. As thousands of reports of Americans alive in
Southeast Asia mount, these familes wonder if their men are among the
hundreds thought to be still alive.
  FLORIDAY TODAY -  Friday April 7, 2000
Time to remember Vietnam victims
....  At 9 a.m. next Friday at Arlington National Cemetery, ......She asked 
that the names of his colleagues who'll be buried with him
appear in print: Mickey A. Wilson, Elbert W. Bush and William S. Stinson.....


*  September 14, 2010

I am Mickey's sister, Linda (Wilson) Moreau.
This is the truth about Mickey Allen Wilson, his wife, his family and his "remains".
Hong Thi Chau (aka, Mary & Hong Chau Wilson) is my sister-in-law. On April 26, 2010 she became a US citizen and she finally has Mickey's name.
Mickey met Hong at a club in Chu Lai during the Vietnam War.  Hong worked on the base as did so many Vietnamese women, she went by the name Mary.
Mickey was attracted to Mary immediately.  We know this because he wrote to his family about her.  His letters were always about the count down until they came home and how much he loved her.  He wanted to take her to Disney Land, show her his home state of California before going to his next duty station.  Mary had a young son; her Vietnamese husband had been killed.  Mickey sent pictures of both of them and told us of his plans to marry Hong and bring his family to the United States.
All plans and our lives were shattered on January 8, 1973 when the helicopter Mickey was flying with 5 others on board was shot down; all 6 were listed as Missing in Action.  Just a few weeks and they would have been home, the war was almost over.
Mickey was gone, Mary was gone, and her son was gone.  It was too much to bear.  Dad just retired from the Army after serving 32 years, his Vietnam tour ended in 1968.  Mom was a veteran of WWII.  Cousin Doug was in Vietnam with Dad in 1968.  This was just unbelievable, but we KNEW the USG would find them, bring them home, dead or alive!
 After 24 years of not knowing I just had to try something.  I planned a trip to Vietnam with my husband Nick and my sister and brother-in-law.  I had to say good-bye and try to find Mary.
We found the crash site (or so we think) and had a service for Mickey and all the men on board Helicopter 69-15619.  That was April of 1996.
Nick and I went back in 1997 with a Podiatrist, journalist and friends in tow.  While the medical mission was underway, we looked for Mary. I put her picture on TV in DaNang and one of her brothers called the hotel and told us that Mary lived in Memphis!
I cried bittersweet tears that day because I always dreamed that Mickey and Mary were living happily ever after somewhere in Vietnam. Now I was elated to find Mary but devastated that Mickey was still MIA.
I came home to Oregon, called my dear sister-in-law and we cried and talked and cried and talked.  A few weeks later I went to Memphis to meet Mary and Son. They came to the United States in 1991 via The Orderly Departure Program because she and Mickey had a son.  His name is Son Ngoc Chau; he is now 38 years old.  He lives in Memphis with his wife and two beautiful children.
On April 14, 2000, 5 teeth were buried in Arlington National Cemetery and the USG closed the door on Mickey.  They say that he has been REPARTIATED.  They mention bone fragments, but they really don't know who or what they belong to.
August 22, 2004, Dad (Ira C. Wilson, SMAJ, retired) passed away and was buried with the "teeth".
February 21, 2010, Mom (Helen M. Wilson) passed away and was buried with Dad and the "teeth".
Section 60, Grave 7925
Teeth DO NOT constitute death. Unidentified bone fragments DO NOT constitute death.
Something is very wrong and it must be corrected.  Get involved and bring our heroes home.
They have been left behind and forgotten by the country they so gallantly fought to protect.

Linda Moreau,