Name: Dewey Wayne Waddell
Rank/Branch: O4/United States Air Force
Unit: 354th TFS  355 TFW Tahkli RTAFB
Date of Birth: 12 September 1935
Home City of Record: Bremen GA
Date of Loss: 05 July 1967
Country of Loss: North Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 213200 North  1063300 East
Status (in 1973): Returnee
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: F105D
Missions: 47
Other Personnel in Incident: none

Source: Compiled by P.O.W. NETWORK from one or more of the following: raw
data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA
families, published sources, interviews.2016


SOURCE: WE CAME HOME  copyright 1977
Captain and Mrs. Frederic A Wyatt (USNR Ret), Barbara Powers Wyatt, Editor
P.O.W. Publications, 10250 Moorpark St., Toluca Lake, CA 91602
Text is reproduced as found in the original publication (including date and
spelling errors).
UPDATE - 09/95 by the P.O.W. NETWORK, Skidmore, MO

Lieutenant Colonel - United States Air Force
Shot Down: July 5, 1967
Released: March 5, 1973
I was born in Bremen, Georgia (about 45 miles west of Atlanta) on 12
September 1935, and attended the local schools, graduating in May 1952. In
high school, I was a member of Beta Club, Band, Boy Scouts, played
basketball and one football game. That fall, I enrolled at Georgia Tech to
study electrical engineering and received my BEE and AFROTC commission in
June 1956. While there, I was a member of Beta Theta Pi Social Fraternity,
Alpha Phi Omega (Boy Scouts), the Georgia Tech Band (no music department, so
they took even me!) and Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society, among others.

After graduation, I worked for Lockheed Aircraft Company at their Georgia
Division in Marietta, awaiting assignment to pilot training. I reported to
active duty in June 1957 in San Antonio and was sent to Bainbridge AB,
Georgia for primary training. At Bainbridge I was in the experimental class
that flew the T-37 for the first time in training. I then went to Laredo
AFB, Texas where I received my silver wings on 3 September 1958. Advanced
training was in the F-86L all-weather interceptor at Moody AFB, Valdosta,
Georgia where I stayed as a flight instructor through 1960. In January 1961,
I moved to Craig AFB, Selma, Alabama where my primary job was an academic
instructor, but I also flew and instructed in the T-33.

At Easter of 1960, a pretty, young lady, who had just graduated from the
University of Georgia, and I were married. In April of 1961, our son,
Gregory Wayne, was born and then, in October of 1963, our daughter, Mary
Jennifer. In June of 1965, we moved to Los Angeles, where I attended the
University of Southern California under an AFIT program, and got a Masters
Degree in Business in September 1966. From there, I went to Survival School
at Fairchild, learned to fly the F-105 at Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, Nevada and
then to Jungle Survival School at Clark AB, Philippines.

I arrived at Tahkli RTAFB, Thailand in April 1967 and was on my 47th mission
over North Vietnam when I was shot down on 5 July 1967. Our target was a
railroad siding about 40 miles northeast of Hanoi. I was hit by
anti-aircraft fire (85-100 mm) and had a very narrow escape from the
airplane. I was captured almost immediately and taken to the "Hanoi Hilton"
the next day. My experiences there are quite similar to the many others that
I'm sure you've heard of or read by now. While held, I was moved several
times - I was in New Guy Village; Heartbreak; Lil Vegas (Nugget,
Thunderbird) from July to October 1967; Zoo (Anex) from Oct 67 to Sept 70;
Camp Faith from Oct to Nov 70; Unity from NOv 70 to May 72; Dogpacth from
may 72 to Jan 73; Plantation in Feb 73; Unity in March 73. While I was at
the Zoo in 68, the "Cuban Program" was underway - I would hear the beatings
in the neighboring building.

Although I was not injured during ejection or initial torture, over the
years I did receive injuries. At one time, I lost the use and feeling of
both my hands for several months after torture. I was very fortunate and had
no serious illness. As you know, I was released on 4 March 1973.

When I left for Southeast Asia, my family was in Fort Walton Beach, Florida
as I hoped to return to nearby Eglin AFB after my 100 mission tour. They
moved to Atlanta, Georgia in 1970, and Greg and Jennifer now live with their
mother in Sarasota, Florida. I have seen them quite often on weekends since
my return. Greg has bottom-of-the-ear length wavy red hair and brown eyes,
and I'm told he is quite a good football player. He plays soccer quite well,
too, and he is taking up golf now. Jennifer has long brown hair and blue
eyes. She is taking piano and likes to collect dolls. Both do very well in
school and as you can tell, I am quite proud of them. My mother is a retired
school teacher, and my father was employed by the Post Office before his
death in 1969. I have one brother, Tom, who is about eight years younger
than I. Tom also attended Georgia Tech. He is married and has three fine

The American Flag was never more beautiful than on that C-141 at Gia Lam
Airport. That airplane had an even more special significance to me since I
knew many of the people (including relatives)  involved in building it. In
fact, I felt almost home when I got on board. Later, at a special day for me
at Lockheed, I received a model of it with the same tail number, 65-0243. I
value this model highly. I'm  very grateful for all that has been done for
me personally, to make my homecoming such a memorable experience. I've had
the opportunity to renew old friendships and acquire many new friends since
my return. The experience - meeting so many people - has been a very
enjoyable part of my activities. l had a grand reception in my hometown in
April (1973) where a scholarship fund was set up in my name to send a
student from the area to college each year. I began the Air War College at
Maxwell AFB, Alabama in August (1973) and after that, I hope to fly a year
or so, at least. My plans are to continue in the Air Force as a career.

Some of the finest men I'll ever know made that trip from Hanoi to the USA
and I'm proud to be associated with them. However, we should not forget that
another group of men did not, and may never, have the chance to enjoy the
welcome of the American people. These men made the supreme sacrifice to
uphold the finest of our traditions-lhe right to live in freedom. To them,
their families and loved ones, we should dedicate our prayers of

EPILOGUE-  Enroute to the River Rat Reunion in Las Vegas, Wayne met "B. J."
Cappelli (nee Lively) through a mutual friend and fellow returnee. Her
former husband was MIA, later declared dead, and she had been coordinator
for the League of Families in Alabama. Their shared experiences led them to
become best friends, which grew into love, and they were married May 3rd,
1974. She's a pretty, hazel-eyed, frosted brunette from Kentucky and "the
most wonderful woman in the world." Her three children are Steve,14, who
enjoys camping, hunting and fishing; Carol, 12, who likes "rock" music, and
is learning to cook; and Betsy, 10, who collects dolls and plays the piano.

After a honeymoon cruise in the Caribbean, and a brief stop in Texas for
flying, they are back at Maxwell Air Force Base where Wayne is on the War
College faculty for a year. For them, the future holds a new life of happiness

In 1975, Wayne was assigned to DoD as AF member of AMRAD, the Joint service
committee on weapon systems R&D.  Later, he became acting chairman and sat
on a NATO weapons systems committee.  He moved to Dobbins AFB, GA in early
1979 as Director of National Emergency Programs and served as President of
NAM-POWs, 1981-84.

Single once again, he met Barbara Jeter of Shreveport, LA, a flight
attendant with Eastern Air Lines.  They were married in the base chapel on
New Year's Day, 1983.  Space-A allowed for lots of trips to Europe,
Thailand/China, South America, etc.  The Friendship Force arranged for
'Soviet' Georgia and Vietnam.

Since his retirement In October 1987, Wayne plays at golf and works
part-time on emergency management for Argonne National Laboratory.  After
EAL days, Barbara taught English as Second Language and was the editor for a
local marketing research firm.

Greg has worked on Capitol Hill since Princeton graduation (on Purolator's
scholarship).  He and Tamara, language teacher, have a son, Alden.  Jennifer
and Bill Combs married after graduation from Emory; she works there and he
has oral surgery practice.


After his completing studies at the Air War College in 1974, Wadell spent 3 1/2
years at the Pentagon (DoD) and then 8 1/2 years at Dobbins AFB, Georgia,
working with AF Emergency Preparedness Plans. Dewey Waddell retired from the
United States Air Force as a Colonel in 1987. Among his awards and
decorations were 2 Silver Stars. Since his retirement, he works part time as
a consultant for Argonne National Laboratory. He and Barbara live in
Georgia, and have traveled extensively in Europe, Thailand, China, "Soviet"
Georgia, and South America. He visited Vietnam just a few years ago.

Wayne Waddell Honored by Hometown
Borrowing a phrase from a commander in SEA who was selected as one of USA's 'badass pilots,' I had very humble pride on July 4. (2014)
The veterans in my hometown/county worked for 18 months on project to dedicate two F-105D's that day...[maybe only place with 2??]
Weather [rains] and mechanical snags prevented completion of all they planned but work continues...i.e., the planes will be repainted camouflage with names plus plaques and paved walkways....
This is the brochure about the project.
And this is what WXIA-TV presented on their 11pm news.
B/G Winn was 355TFW/Ass't-DO...one of his sons attended and told couple 'war stories' about his dad....one was that he took a Thud to Death Valley and got it up to 880 knots! Reportedly, the airplane's crewchief was not happy as the paint was 'burned off' on leading edges of wings and empannage ...Jerry Jackson was his crewchief when shotdown for second time.

D. Wayne Waddell Honored
D. Wayne Waddell was inducted into the Georgia Military Veterans Hall of Fame 5 November. In the picture above, GA State Senator Ed Harbison (Sgt, USMC) presents him with the medal and certificate.

Dewey Wayne Waddell (VALOR) (POW) Colonel, Air Force, Bremen, GA. On 5 Jul 1967 on his 47th combat mission in an F-105 Thunderchief jet over North Vietnam he was shot down, captured, and held as a POW for five years, eight months, and ten days, suffering greatly at the hands of the enemy. During the attack, even though his aircraft received several hits from flack, he continued the attack until he had to eject. He served on active duty for over thirty years with honor, distinction, courage, and conviction. His combat awards are: Prisoner of War Medal, Air Medal (6), Purple Heart, Distinguished Flying Cross, and the Silver Star (2).

Robert G. Certain
Ch, Col, USAFR-Ret

MORE INFO:     http://veterantributes.org/TributeDetail.php?recordID=887