Name: Roy Charles Williams
Rank/Branch: E3/US Army
Unit: E-2/1 196LIB 23 DIV
Date of Birth: 03 June 1947 (Little Rock AR)
Home City of Record: Woodville TX
Date of Loss: 12 May 1968
Country of Loss: South Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 152630N 1074806E (ZC005090)
Status (in 1973): Missing In Action
Category: 2
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: Ground

Personnel in Incident: Ngok Tavak: Horace H. Fleming; Thomas J. Blackman;
Joseph F. Cook; Paul S. Czerwonka; Thomas W. Fritsch; Barry L. Hempel; Raymond
T. Heyne; Gerald E. King; Robert C. Lopez; William D. McGonigle; Donald W.
Mitchell; James R. Sargent (members of USMC search team - all missing); Glenn
E. Miller; Thomas H. Perry (USSF teammembers - missing); Kham Duc: Richard E.
Sands (missing from CH47); Bernard L. Bucher; Frank M. Hepler; George W. Long;
John L. McElroy; Stephan C. Moreland (USAF crew of C130 - all missing); Warren
R. Orr (USSF on C130 - missing); Harry B. Coen; Andrew J. Craven; Juan M.
Jimenez; Frederick J. Ransbottom; Maurice H. Moore; Joseph L. Simpson; William
E. Skivington; John C. Stuller; Imlay S. Widdison; Danny L. Widner; Roy C.
Williams (all missing); Julius W. Long (released POW).


Source: Compiled from one or more of the following: raw data from U.S.
Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA families, published
sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK. 2020

SYNOPSIS: Kham Duc Special Forces camp (A-105), was located on the western
fringes of Quang Tin ("Great Faith") Province, South Vietnam. In the spring of
1968, it was the only remaining border camp in Military Region I. Backup
responsibility for the camp fell on the 23rd Infantry Division (Americal),
based at Chu Lai on the far side of the province.

The camp had originally been built for President Diem, who enjoyed hunting in
the area. The 1st Special Forces detachment (A-727B) arrived in September 1963
and found the outpost to be an ideal border surveillance site with an existing
airfield. The camp was located on a narrow grassy plain surrounded by rugged,
virtually uninhabited jungle. The only village in the area, located across the
airstrip, was occupied by post dependents, camp followers and merchants. The
camp and airstrip were bordered by the Ngok Peng Bum ridge to the west and Ngok
Pe Xar mountain, looming over Kham Duc to the east. Steep banked streams full
of rapids and waterfalls cut through the tropical wilderness. The Dak Mi River
flowed past the camp over a mile distant, under the shadow of the Ngok Pe Xar.

Five miles downriver was the small forward operating base of Ngok Tavak,
defended by the 113-man 11th Mobile Strike Force Company with its 8 Special
Forces and 3 Australian advisors. Since Ngok Tavak was outside friendly
artillery range, 33 Marine artillerymen of Battery D, 2nd Battalion, 13th
Marines, with two 105mm howitzers were located at the outpost.

Capt. Christopher J. Silva, commander of Detachment A-105 helicoptered into
Ngok Tavak on May 9, 1968 in response to growing signs of NVA presence in the
area. Foul weather prevented his scheduled evening departure. A Kham Duc CIDG
platoon fleeing a local ambush also arrived and was posted to the outer
perimeter. It was later learned that the CIDG force contained VC infiltrators.

Ngok Tavak was attacked by an NVA infantry battalion at 0315 hours on May 10.
The base was pounded by mortars and direct rocket fire. As the frontal assault
began, the Kham Duc CIDG soldiers moved toward the Marines in the fort yelling,
"Don't shoot, don't shoot! Friendly, friendly!" Suddenly they lobbed grenades
into the Marine howitzer positions and ran into the fort, where they shot
several Marines with carbines and sliced claymore mine and communication wires.

The defenders suffered heavy casualties but stopped the main assault and killed
the infiltrators. The NVA dug in along the hill slopes and grenaded the trenches
where the mobile strike force soldiers were pinned by machine gun and rocket
fire. An NVA flamethrower set the ammunition ablaze, banishing the murky flare-
lighted darkness for the rest of the night. SFC Harold M. Swicegood and the
USMC platoon leader, Lt. Adams, were badly wounded and moved to the command
bunker. Medical Spec4 Blomgren reported that the CIDG mortar crews had abandoned
their weapons. Silva tried to operate the main 4.2 inch mortar but was wounded.
At about 0500 hours, Sgt. Glenn Miller, an A-105 communications specialist, was
shot through the head as he ran over to join the Marine howitzer crews.

The NVA advanced across the eastern side of Ngok Tavak and brought forward more
automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenade launchers. In desperation, the
defenders called on USAF AC-47 "Spooky" gunships to strafe the perimeter and
the howitzers, despite the possible presence of friendly wounded in the gun
pits. The NVA countered with tear gas, but the wind kept drifting the gas over
their own lines. After three attempts, they stopped. A grenade fight between
the two forces lasted until dawn.

At daybreak Australian Warrant Officers Cameron and Lucas, joined by Blomgren,
led a CIDG counterattack. The North Vietnamese pulled back under covering fire,
and the howitzers were retaken. The Marines fired the last nine shells and
spiked the tubes. Later that morning medical evacuation helicopters supported
by covering airstrikes took out the seriously wounded, including Silva and
Swicegood. Two CH46's were able to land 45 replacements from the 12th Mobile
Strike Force Company, accompanied by Capt. Euge E. Makowski (who related much
of this account to Shelby Stanton, author of "Green Berets at War"), but one
helicopter was hit in the fuel line and forced down. Another helicopter was hit
by a rocket and burst into flames, wrecking the small helipad. The remaining
wounded were placed aboard a hovering helicopter. As it lifted off, two Mike
Force soldiers and 1Lt. Horace Fleming, one of the stranded aviation crewmen,
grabbed the helicopter skids. All three fell to their deaths after the
helicopter had reached an altitude of over one hundred feet.

The mobile strike force soldiers were exhausted and nervous. Ammunition and
water were nearly exhausted, and Ngok Tavak was still being pounded by sporadic
mortar fire. They asked permission to evacuate their positions, but were told
to "hold on" as "reinforcements were on the way". By noon the defenders decided
that aerial reinforcement or evacuation was increasingly unlikely, and night
would bring certain destruction. An hour later, they abandoned Ngok Tavak.

Thomas Perry, a medic from C Company, arrived at the camp at 0530 hours the
morning of the 10th. He cared for the wounded and was assisting in an attempt
to establish a defensive perimeter when the decision was made to evacuate the
camp. As survivors were leaving, Perry was seen by Sgt. Cordell J. Matheney,
Jr., standing 20 feet away, as Australian Army Capt. John White formed the
withdrawal column at the outer perimeter wire on the eastern Ngok Tavak
hillside. It was believed that Perry was going to join the end of the column.

All the weapons, equipment and munitions that could not be carried were hastily
piled into the command bunker and set afire. The helicopter that had been
grounded by a ruptured fuel line was destroyed with a LAW. Sgt. Miller's body
was abandoned.

After survivors had gone about 1 kilometer, it was discovered that Perry was
missing. Efforts were conducted to locate both Perry and Miller, including a
search by a group from Battery D. They were searching along the perimeter when
they were hit by enemy grenades and arms fire. Neither the men on the team nor
Perry was ever found. Included in this team were PFC Thomas Blackman; LCpl.
Joseph Cook; PFC Paul Czerwonka; LCpl. Thomas Fritsch; PFC Barry Hempel; LCpl.
Raymond Heyne; Cpl. Gerald King; PFC Robert Lopez; PFC William McGonigle; LCpl.
Donald Mitchell; and LCpl. James Sargent. The remaining survivors evaded
through dense jungle to a helicopter pickup point midway to Kham Duc. Their
extraction was completed shortly before 1900 hours on the evening of May 10.

In concert with the Ngok Tavak assault, the Kham Duc was blasted by a heavy
mortar and recoilless rifle attack at 0245 hours that same morning. Periodic
mortar barrages ripped into Kham Duc throughout the rest of the day, while the
Americal Division airmobiled a reinforced battalion of the 196th Infantry
Brigade into the compound. A Special Forces command party also landed, but the
situation deteriorated too rapidly for their presence to have positive effect.

The mortar attack on fog-shrouded Kham Duc resumed on the morning of May 11.
The bombardment caused heavy losses among the frightened CIDG soldiers, who
fled from their trenches across open ground, seeking shelter in the bunkers.
The LLDB commander remained hidden. CIDG soldiers refused orders to check the
rear of the camp for possible North Vietnamese intruders. That evening the 11th
and 12th Mobile Strike Force companies were airlifted to Da Nang, and half of
the 137th CIDG Company from Camp Ha Thanh was airlanded in exchange.

The 1st VC Regiment, 2nd NVA Division, began closing the ring around Kham Duc
during the early morning darkness of 12 May. At about 0415 to 0430 hours, the
camp and outlying positions came under heavy enemy attack. Outpost #7 was
assaulted and fell within a few minutes. Outposts #5, #1 and #3 had been
reinforced by Americal troops but were in North Vietnamese hands by 0930 hours.

OP1 was manned by PFC Harry Coen, PFC Andrew Craven, Sgt. Joseph Simpson, and
SP4 Julius Long from Company E, 2nd of the 1st Infantry. At about 0415 hours,
when OP1 came under heavy enemy attack, PFC Coen and SP4 Long were seen trying
to man a 106 millimeter recoilless rifle. Survivors reported that in the
initial enemy fire, they were knocked off their bunker. Both men again tried to
man the gun, but were knocked down again by RPG fire.

PFC Craven, along with two other men, departed the OP at 0830 hours on May 12.
They moved out 50 yards and could hear the enemy in their last position. At
about 1100 hours, as they were withdrawing to the battalion perimeter, they
encountered an enemy position. PFC Craven was the pointman and opened fire. The
enemy returned fire, and PFC Craven was seen to fall, with multiple chest
wounds. The other two men were unable to recover him, and hastily departed the
area. PFC Craven was last seen lying on his back, wounded, near the camp.

OP2 was being manned by 1Lt. Frederick Ransbottom, SP4 Maurice Moore, PFC Roy
Williams, PFC Danny Widner, PFC William Skivington, PFC Imlay Widdison, and SP5
John Stuller, from the 2nd of the 3rd Infantry when it came under attack.
Informal questioning of survivors of this position indicated that PFC Widdison
and SP5 Stuller may have been killed in action. However, the questioning was
not sufficiently thorough to produce enough evidence to confirm their deaths.

The only information available concerning 1Lt. Ransbottom, SP4 Moore, PFC Lloyd
and PFC Skivington that Lt. Ransbottom allegedly radioed PFC Widner and PFC
Williams, who were in the third bunker, and told them that he was shooting at
the enemy as they entered his bunker.

SP4 Juan Jimenez, a rifleman assigned to Company A, 2nd of the 1st Infantry,
was occupying a defensive position when he was severely wounded in the back by
enemy mortar fire. SP4 Jimenez was declared dead by the Battalion Surgeon in
the early morning hours of May 12. He was then carried to the helipad for
evacuation. However, due to the situation, space was available in the
helicopter for only the wounded, and SP4 Jimenez'remains were left behind.

At noon a massive NVA attack was launched against the main compound. The charge
was stopped by planes hurling napalm, cluster bomb units and 750 pound bombs
into the final wire barriers. The decision was made by the Americal Division
officers to call for immediate extraction.

The evacuation was disorderly, and at times, on the verge of complete panic.
One of the first extraction helicopters to land was exploded by enemy fire,
blocking the airstrip. Engineers of Company A, 70th Engineer Battalion,
frantically reassembled one of their dozers (previously torn apart to prevent
capture) to clear the runway. Eight more aircraft were blown out of the sky.

PFC Richard E. Sands was a member of Company A, 1st Battalion, 46th Infantry,
198th Light Infantry Brigade being extracted on a CH47 helicopter (serial
#67-18475). The helicopter was hit by 50 calliber machine gun fire at an
altitude of 1500-1600 feet shortly after takeoff.

Sands, who was sitting near the door gunner, was hit in the head by an incoming
rounds. The helicopter made a controlled landing and caught fire. During the
evacuation from the burning helicopter, four personnel and a medic checked PFC
Sands and indicated that he had been killed instantly. Because of the danger of
incoming mortar rounds and the fire, personnel attempting to remove PFC Sands
from the helicopter were ordered to abandon their attempt. The remaining
personnel were evacuated from the area later by another helicopter.

Intense antiaircraft fire from the captured outposts caused grave problems.
Control over the indigenous forces was difficult. One group of CIDG soldiers
had to be held in trenches at gunpoint to prevent them from mobbing the runway.

As evacuation was in progress, members of Company A, 1/46, who insisted on
boarding the aircraft first, shoved Vietnamese dependents out of the way. As
more Americal infantry tried to clamber into the outbound planes, the outraged
Special Forces staff convinced the Air Force to start loading civilians onboard
a C130, then watched as the civilians pushed children and weaker adults aside.

The crew of the U.S. Air Force C130 aircraft (serial #60-0297) consisted of
Maj. Bernard Bucher, pilot; SSgt. Frank Hepler, flight engineer; Maj. John
McElroy, navigator; 1Lt. Steven Moreland, co-pilot; George Long, load master;
Capt. Warren Orr, passenger, and an undetermined number of Vietnamese civilians.

The aircraft reported receiving ground fire on takeoff. The Forward Air Control
(FAC) in the area reported that the aircraft exploded in mid-air and crashed in
a fire ball about one mile from camp. All crew and passengers were believed
dead, as the plane burned quickly and was completely destroyed except for the
tail boom. No remains were recovered from the aircraft.
Capt. Orr was not positively identified by U.S. personnel as being aboard the
aircraft. He was last seen near the aircraft helping the civilians to board.
However, a Vietnamese stated that he had seen Capt. Orr board the aircraft and
later positively identified him from a photograph. Rescue efforts were
impossible because of the hostile threat in the area.

At the time the order was given to escape and evade, SP4 Julius Long was was
with Coen and Simpson. All three had been wounded, and were trying to make
their way back to the airfield about 350 yards away. As they reached the
airfield, they saw the last C130 departing. PFC Coen, who was shot in the
stomach, panicked and started running and shooting his weapon at random. SP4
Long tried to catch him, but could not, and did not see PFC Coen again. Long
then carried Sgt. Simpson to a nearby hill, where they spent the night.

During the night, the airfield was strafed and bombed by U.S. aircraft. SP4
Long was hit twice in the back by fragments, and Sgt. Simpson died during the
night. SP4 Long left him lying on the hill near the Cam Duc airfield and
started his escape and evasion toward Chu Lai, South Vietnam. SP4 Long was
captured and was released in 1973 from North Vietnam.

The Special Forces command group was the last organized group out of the camp.
As their helicopter soared into the clouds, Kham Duc was abandoned to advancing
NVA infantry at 4:33 p.m. on May 12, 1968. The last Special Forces camp on the
northwestern frontier of South Vietnam had been destroyed.

Two search and recovery operations were conducted in the vicinity of OP1 and
OP2 and the Cam Duc airfield on July 18, 1970 and August 17, 1970. In these
operations, remains of personnel previously reported missing from this incident
were recovered and subsequently identified. (SP4 Bowers, PFC Lloyd, Sgt. Sisk,
PFC Guzman-Rios and SSgt. Carter). However, extensive search and excavation
could not be completed at OP1 and OP2 because of the tactical situation.

It was assumed that all the missing at Kham Duc were killed in action until
about 1983, when the father of one of the men missing discovered a Marine Corps
document which indicated that four of the men had been taken prisoner. The
document listed the four by name. Until then, the families had not been advised
of the possibility there were any American prisoners taken other than Julius
Long. A Vietnamese rallier identified the photographs of Roy C. Williams and
John C. Stuller as positively having been POWs.

Until proof is obtained that the rest of the men lost at Ngok Tavak and Kham
Duc are dead, their families will always wonder if they are among those said to
still be alive in Southeast Asia.





Return to Service Member Profiles

On May 12, 1968, the Kham Duc Special Forces Base Camp at Quang Tin, South Vietnam, came under heavy attack by a numerically superior enemy force. The observation and operational outposts surrounding the camp were overrun, and the surviving personnel in the camp were evacuated. 

Private First Class (PFC) Roy Charles Williams, who joined the U.S. Army from Texas, served with Company E, 2nd Battalion, 1st Infantry Regiment, 23rd Infantry Division. He was manning an operational outpost (OP-2) when the attack started, and was last seen defending a bunker from enemy soldiers. His remains were not recovered. After the incident, the Army promoted PFC Williams to the rank of sergeant first class. Today, Sergeant First Class Williams is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. 

Based on all information available, DPAA assessed the individual's case to be in the analytical category of Deferred.

If you are a family member of this serviceman, DPAA can provide you with additional information and analysis of your case. Please contact your casualty office representative.

Service member profile discrepancy? Please help us ensure the accuracy of each profile by submitting documentation about a service member profile.