Name: John Bethel Tapp
Rank/Branch: O4/US Navy
Unit: Attack Squadron 93, USS ENTERPRISE
Date of Birth: 06 September 1933
Home City of Record: Harrodsburg KY
Date of Loss: 23 March 1966
Country of Loss: South Vietnam/Over Water
Loss Coordinates: 084402N 1081904E (BK049664)
Status (in 1973): Killed/Body Not Recovered
Category: 5
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: A4C
Refno: 0287
Other Personnel in Incident: (none missing)

Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 01 September 1990 from one or more
of the following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources,
correspondence with POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews.
Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK 1998.


SYNOPSIS: When nuclear powered USS ENTERPRISE arrived on Yankee Station on
December 2, 1965, she was the largest warship ever built. She brought with
her an imposing physical presence, and impressive component of warplanes and
the newest technology. By the end of her first combat cruise, her air wing
had flown over 13,000 combat sorties. The record had not been achieved
without cost.

LCDR John B. Tapp was a pilot assigned to Attack Squadron 93 onboard the USS
ENTERPRISE, and flew the Douglas Aircraft A4 Skyhawk. The plane was so
compact that it did not need folding wings for aboardship storage and
handling. In spite of its diminutive size, the A4 packed a devastating punch
and performed well where speed and maneuverability were essential.

On March 23, 1966, Tapp launched on his 64th combat mission into North
Vietnam. His flight completed their attack on enemy installations with no
difficulty. After regrouping just off the coast, Tapp and his wingman turned
towards the ship. They turned on their external lights and visually checked
one another for evidence of damage. It was determined that neither aircraft
had sustained damage.

At about 4:40 a.m. Tapp and his wingman were back in the vicinity of the
ENTERPRISE (about 70 miles offshore in the South China Sea) and Tapp was
vectored for an instrument approach, a standard practice on night landings.
The approach appeared on radar to be progressing very well until he was at 8
miles inbound to the ship and disappeared from the radar scope. He should
have been at 1,000 feet above the water at this point, and it was
immediately deducted that he had crashed.

Two helicopters and two Navy destroyers were immediately dispatched to the
area and arrived on the scene in a very few minutes. The area was searched
thoroughly to no avail until about an hour later when daybreak revealed an
oil slick on the water and scattered wreckage. It was determined, barring
physical malfunction of instruments, that Tapp misread the flight
instruments, and in the very dark night inadvertently flew into the water.
LCDR Tapp's remains are considered to be non-recoverable.

Tapp is among nearly 2500 Americans who remain unaccounted for from the
Vietnam war. The cases of some, like Tapp, seem clear - that they perished
and cannot be recovered. Unfortunately, mounting evidence indicates that
hundreds of Americans are still captive, waiting for the country they
proudly served to secure their freedom.

In our haste to leave an unpopular war, it now appears we abandoned some of
our best men. In our haste to heal the wounds of this same war, will we sign
their death warrants? Or will we do what we can to bring them home?