Name: Richard Dean "Dick" Roberts
Rank/Branch: E3/US Army
Unit: Company B, 1st Battalion, 8th Infantry, 4th Infantry Division
Date of Birth: 30 April 1948 (Carson City, MI)
Home City of Record: Lansing, MI
Date of Loss: 25 March 1969
Country of Loss: South Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 144018N 1073621E (YB805235)
Status (in 1973): Missing In Action
Category: 2
Acft/Vehicle/Ground: Ground
Refno: 1415

Source: Compiled from one or more of the following: raw data from U.S.
Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA families,
published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK in 2020.

Other Personnel In Incident: Prentice Hicks; Frederick Herrera (both


SYNOPSIS: On March 25, 1969, PFC Prentice W. Hicks, PFC Frederick D. Herrera
and PFC Richard D. Roberts were riflemen on a road interdiction mission
northwest of the city of Kontum, South Vietnam. On March 24, their unit had
been in contact with an unknown sized enemy force, and at that time, PFC
Hicks had been wounded several times. The unit was ordered to pull back, and
PFC Hicks was placed on a litter and carried out of the area for evacuation.

As the unit was moving toward high ground, they again came in contact with
the enemy. At that time, PFC Roberts was the point man. During the contact,
the unit began to move in a disorderly fashion back down the hill, and
during that period, PFC Hicks, Herrera and Roberts were separated from the
main element.

It is believed that PFC Herrera and Roberts had stayed behind with PFC
Hicks. This was the last time they were seen. At that time, neither Herrera
or Roberts were injured.

During a search of the area on April 5, a reconnaissance team found some
letters belonging to PFC Hicks, along with the cover from a Bible belonging
to PFC Herrera, but there was no sign of the three missing men. The three
men had disappeared, and, given the enemy situation in the area, it is
entirely possible that they were captured. They were declared Missing In
Action. Later hearings were held to declare them dead, although no evidence
was ever received that the three died.

Americans captured by the Viet Cong had a terrible and grueling ordeal
ahead. The Viet Cong themselves were often deprived of adequate food, and
the need to be constantly moving only made life more difficult to sustain.
Americans were ill-equipped to cope with jungle diseases and drastic change
in diet. Torture was commonplace and cruel. Many were mentally and
physically depleted to the point of starvation and death. Towards the end of
the war, prisoners captured in the south were routinely taken north for
detention by the North Vietnamese, and although torture was a daily threat,
few died of starvation during those late years.

Whether Herrera and the others were captured is not known. The chances of
their having survived the second attack are good. Alive or dead, however,
the Vietnamese certainly know their fate. Someone knows where they were
taken that day.

Tragically, reports of Americans still held captive in Indochina continue to
be received, creating a large body of evidence difficult to ignore. It seems
clear that some of our military are still held prisoner in Southeast Asia.
Herrera, Hicks and Roberts could be among them. Isn't it time we brought our
men home?





Return to Service Member Profiles

On March 25, 1969, three members of the 4th Infantry Division were conducting a road interdiction mission in Kontum Province, South Vietnam, when their unit came in contact with an enemy force in the vicinity of (GC) YB 790 002. During the ensuing firefight, one member was seriously wounded and became unable to walk on his own. The unit pulled back and the wounded man placed on a litter and carried out. As the unit moved to high ground, it encountered enemy forces again and during this second contact, while moving down a hill, the three soldiers became separated from the group and were not seen again. On April 5, the area was searched by a reconnaissance team, which found personal items belonging to two of the missing men, but no additional remains or signs of the men were located.

Private First Class Richard Dean Roberts entered the U.S. Army from Michigan and served with Company B, 1st Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division. He was one of the three men who were lost during this action, and his remains were not recovered. After the incident, the Army postumously promoted PFC Roberts to the rank of Sergeant First Class (SFC). Today, Sergeant First Class Roberts is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

Based on all information available, DPAA assessed the individual's case to be in the analytical category of Active Pursuit.

If you are a family member of this serviceman, DPAA can provide you with additional information and analysis of your case. Please contact your casualty office representative.

Service member profile discrepancy? Please help us ensure the accuracy of each profile by submitting documentation about a service member profile.