RIP 02/21/2021

O017.jpg (24966 bytes)


Name:Dale Harrison Osborne
Rank/Branch: United States Navy/O4
Unit: VA 55 CVA 19
Date of Birth: 23 January 1933 Salt Lake City UT
Home City of Record: Salt Lake City UT
Date of Loss: 23 September 1968
Country of Loss: North Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 185400 North 1053600 East (Nghe An 25 Miles NW of Vinh)
Status (in 1973): Returnee
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: A4F
        Korean Conflict - member of the USAF 191st Fighter Bomber Squadron
        stationed at Clovis AFB, New Mexico - 1951-1954.
Other Personnel in Incident:
Refno: 1285

Source: Compiled by P.O.W. NETWORK from one or more of the following: raw
data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA
families, published sources, interviews. 2020



SOURCE: WE CAME HOME  copyright 1977
Captain and Mrs. Frederic A Wyatt (USNR Ret), Barbara Powers Wyatt, Editor
P.O.W. Publications, 10250 Moorpark St., Toluca Lake, CA 91602
Text is reproduced as found in the original publication (including date and
spelling errors).

Commander - United States Navy
Shot Down: September 23, 1968
Released: February 12, 1973

My place of birth is Salt Lake City, Utah, where I was born on 23 January
1933 to my parents, Vivian C. and David E. Osborne. My oldest brother,
Leonard, was shot down over Belgium during World War II. He was listed as
MIA for two years until his status was changed to KIA after the war. Two
other older brothers, Paul and David, reside with their families in
California. My father is now deceased and my mother lives in Los Angeles,
California. My two daughters, Christina and Cheri, and my one son, David,
now reside in San Diego, California.

During the Korean War, I was a member of the USAF 191st Fighter Bomber
Squadron stationed at Clovis AFB, New Mexico.

I graduated from the University of Utah in 1956 with a Bachelor of Science
degree from the School of Business (Banking and Finance). I was a member of
Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity.

On 1 October 1956 I entered the United States Navy as an Air Officer
Candidate and reported to Pensacola, Florida for pre-flight training. I
received my commission on 1 February 1957 and was designated a Naval Aviator
on 4 June 1958.

From 1958 to 1961 I served with Patrol Squadron Nine (VP 9) stationed at
Alameda, California and Kodiak, Alaska. I was Patrol Plane Commander of
P2V-7 type aircraft involved with Anti-Submarine warfare tactics. From 1961
to 1964, I was assigned to Training Squadron Three (VT-3), NAAS Whiting
Field, Milton, Florida, as a radio instrument flight instructor in T-28 type
aircraft. In 1965 I reported to Air Anti Submarine Squadron Twenty-One
(VS-21) at NAS North Island, San Diego, California and was a Carrier Air
Plane Commander of S2E type aircraft involved with anti-submarine warfare.
My squadron deployed to WESTPAC in 1966, embarked in the USS Kearsarge
(CVS-33), conducting air operations in the Gulf of Tonkin in support of the
U.S. war  effort in Southeast Asia.

The Naval Air Station at Lemoore, California was my next stop in 1967 where
I reported for transition and training in the A4F Sky Hawk aircraft. In
December of that year I was ordered to Attack Squadron Fifty-Five (VA-55).
The squadron deployed to WESTPAC in July 1968, embarked in the USS Hancock
(CVA 19), joining yankee team operations in the Gulf of Tonkin conducting
air strikes against North Vietnam.

On 23 September 1968 my aircraft was hit by Anti-aircraft artillary
immediately following  a rocket attack on enemy positions near the city of
Vinh, North Vietnam. Shells exploded in the cockpit area which knocked me
unconscious and caused severe injuries to my left leg, right hand and wrist.
I regained consciousness momentarily enabling me to pull the ejection handle
before passing out again. When I next regained consciousness, I was on the
ground - my left wrist had been broken during ejection or ground contact. I
was captured immediately by a group of approximately 15 Vietnamese. After an
extremely torturous trip North, I finally arrived in Hanoi on the 10th of
October. I was completely desiccated, emaciated, and in a moribund state. I
was incarcerated with Cdr. Brian Woods and I credit him with saving my life.
I was confined in several prison camps in the Hanoi area during my 4 1/2
years of captivity. I was listed as MIA for over a year. I was released to
the American authorities at Gia Lam Airport, Hanoi, Vietnam on 12 February


Retired from the United States Navy as a Commander. He and his
wife Nancy reside in Utah.

The Salt Lake Tribune -- Utah
by Jon Ure

Memento reminds pilot of war ordeal

With his left hand, former combat pilot Dale Osborne hoists the strange
piece of metal and balances it with his battle-scarred right hand......



Dale Osborne's daughter, Cheri,  reports that Dale Harrison Osborne passed away
2/24/21 due to a fall.  No other details available at this time.


More info   http://www.veterantributes.org/TributeDetail.php?recordID=67