Name: John Francis O'Grady
Rank/Branch: O4/US Air Force
Date of Birth:
Home City of Record: New Hyde Park NY
Date of Loss: 10 April 1967
Country of Loss: North Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 175000N 1054600E (WE795662)
Status (in 1973): Missing In Action
Category: 2
Acft/Vehicle/Ground: F105D
Other Personnel in Incident: (none missing)


Source: Compiled  from one or more of the following: raw data from U.S.
Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA families, published
sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK 2020.

SYNOPSIS: Between April 17, 1965 and December 31, 1971, 43 American airmen
were lost and listed as MIA in a 33.3 mile square window of the world known
as the MuGia Pass on the North Vietnam/Lao border. Yet, over 13 years after
the signing of the Paris Peace Accords and almost 13 years after the
Department of Defense announced that no American POWs remained in Southeast
Asia, not one of these men has been officially accounted for by either the
Vietnamese or Lao governments, or officially recovered through
US/Vietnamese/Lao negotiations. John O'Grady is one of those men.

On April 10, 1967, Maj. John F. O'Grady led his element of F105D
fighter/bombers through the Mu Gia Pass on the border of Laos and North
Vietnam. Upon reaching the Vietnam side of the Pass, they turned back to
initiate bombing attacks on selected targets.

Upon reaching his target, O'Grady began his bombing run without opposition
with his wingman 20 seconds to his rear. Approaching the target, he did not
like his alignment. Rather than "drop and run", he aborted his first run and
rolled in behind his wingman for a second attack, and his third exposure to
enemy gunners. This time, O'Grady's aircraft was hit and he radioed, "Losing
control, got to get out."

The wingman at first could not locate O'Grady's plane or parachute, but did
witness his bombs land directly on target. Scanning the skies, the wingman
finally saw O'Grady's parachute in the air southwest of the target. However,
the wind was blowing O'Grady back to the area of the strike. According to
the senior officer in the air, they could have rescued him except for the

O'Grady's parachute disappeared the instant it touched down. The exact spot
was pinpointed but rescue planes found to trace of him when they searched
the area minutes later while under intense ground fire. Later intelligence
indicated that O'Grady's target had been a well-organized, heavily armed
battalion of enemy troops moving south through the Pass.

The next day, two radio broadcasts out of Hanoi and Peking detailed the
capture of American pilots, identifying one of the provinces as the one
where O'Grady went down. He was the only many shot down in that province
that day, and the only pilot lost that week over all of North Vietnam.
Although the Air Force concluded that O'Grady was "in all probability taken
captive", he was listed Missing in Action, and his status was never changed
to Prisoner of War.

It seems improbable that in one of the most heavily traveled sections of the
Ho Chi Minh Trail, all 43 men lost went unnoticed by the other side.
Although there is ample evidence to show otherwise, the governments of Laos
and Vietnam claim no knowledge of the fates of these men.

                                 PROJECT X
                        SUMMARY SELECTION RATIONALE




RATIONALE FOR SELECTION: After ejection from his stricken aircraft, Major
O'Grady's parachute was seen twice in the air and once on the ground by a
wingman of his flight. However, search and rescue aircraft were unable to
re-locate his position. There have been no reports of Major O'Grady's
possible capture or death.

REFNO: 0641 19 Apr 76


1. On . 10 April 1967, Maj John, F. O'Grady was the pilot of an F105D
aircraft, (#624357, call sign Newark 03), the number three aircraft in a
flight of four on an armed reconnaissance mission over the Mu Gia Pass in
North Vietnam. Upon reaching Maj O'Grady maneuvered for a bomb run the
target area, however, it was aborted because he was not lined up properly.
He told the pilot of the number four aircraft to make his pass and he would
follow. Number four made his pass and called off the target. He did not
observe Maj. O'Grady making his bomb run but he did observe Maj. O'Grady's
ordnance impact. (Ref 1 & 2)

2. A short time later, the flight heard Maj O'Grady say he was pulling off
target to the southwest and was receiving ground fire. Then Maj. O'Grady
stated, " I think I'm hit., got an overheat light." He said his engine was
running but he was losing control and would have to get out. He was asked
if he were in the target area but received no reply. Number four circled in
the area and twice spotted Maj O'Grady's parachute in the air and once on
the ground in the vicinity of grid coordinates (GC) WE 819 719. The pilot
of the number four aircraft was too high to actually observe if Maj.
O'Grady was in the parachute. (Ref 1- & 2)

3. After his election, no beeper signals were heard and no radio contact
was made. (His aircraft may have crashed in the vicinity of (GC) WE 795
662.) Search efforts were initiated, but Maj O'Grady was never seen. (Ref 1
& 2)

4. During the existence of JCRC, the hostile threat in the area precluded
any visits to or ground inspections of the sites involved in this case.
This individual's -name and identifying data were turned over to the
Four-Party Joint Military Team with a request for any information
available. No response was forthcoming. Maj. O'Grady is currently carried
in -the status of missing.


1. MSG (U), 355th CSG, 101505Z Apr 67.

2. RPT (U), 355th CSG, (CBPO-PA) AF Form 484 w/stmts, 14 Apr 67.

                 * National Alliance of Families Home Page


The following was received from the family of Major John O’Grady, shot down over Vietnam on April 10, 1967. This story is still unfolding.
For more information visit Major O’Grady’s website at johnogradypowmia.com Please post a word of encouragement to the family in the Guestbook Section and give this email the widest distribution possible.


Lynn O’Shea
Director of Research
National Alliance of Families
For the Return of America’s Missing Servicemen
World War II + Korea + Cold War + Vietnam + Gulf Wars + Afghanistan




Despite claims to the contrary on the record by the US State Department, Patty O'Grady, Ph.D can confirm firsthand with multiple source confirmation that the remains of Colonel John F. O'Grady USAF, POW/DIC were recovered from the grave the soldiers who buried him protected for 45 years.

On Thursday, May 24, 2012, Patty O'Grady confirmed that a full jawbone with 7 teeth were recovered by the Joint Vietnamese American MIA team.

On Friday, May 25, 2012, the Vietnamese shut down the excavation site allegedly for Dr. O'Grady's safety. The real reason was so the full remains could be recovered in secrecy and transported directly to Hanoi. The Vietnamese Army, the Vietnam Foreign Affairs representative, and Quang Binh Province militia were on site until about 5:00PM local time supervising remains recovery. The remains are currently in the custody of the Vietnamese government.

The site was then shut down permanently and left unprotected from 5:00 pm on May 24, 2012 until approximately 11:30 am on May 25, 2012. No US military personnel were on site. He was abandoned again by his government.

However, his daughter would not leave - under threat of arrest, deportation, robbery, assassination, emotional blackmail, and primitive living conditions she vowed to stay.

Dr. O'Grady noticed activity at the site on Friday. Small groups of workers going up the mountain to the site to dig. She contacted US State Department to confirm excavation has not resumed. She asked again for a briefing and was told "nothing to report" and "site still shut down". About mid morning she noticed an SUV with military officer (national uniform) standing beside the trail workers were using to go to gravesite parked south toward Dong Hoi. A large truck was parked on opposite side of the road facing North toward Vinh and Hanoi.

As Patty walked to investigate and take photographs, the villagers were animated and approaching her - hugging her, shaking her hand. Many were crying. "Your father!! Your father!!!" They pointed to the hill and then the truck. They were nodding and saying, "Yes! Yes!" with great excitement!!

The SUV left. The truck pulled away with a local villager driving who slowed down next to her and with a big smile shaking his head up and down saying, "Yes! Yes!" "Father!! Father!!" The truck drove away and the village returned to normal. The Vietnamese and Americans may return tomorrow - perhaps today to dig again but will not "find his remains."

Patty knows they already have him. On this Memorial Day, he will finally be on his way home.

Just as An and Thiet promised, his dog tags were found with him.




06/2012 -  The attached was provided by Patty O'Grady


Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 16:39:08 -0700
Subject: Information that Col. O'Grady's family wants posted to his BIO
From: "Tara O'Grady"
To: info@pownetwork.org

Please help Bring Colonel John F. O'Grady Home!
Col.  O’Grady was shot down over Vietnam in 1967 and went missing,
leaving behind a wife and seven children.  Colonel John F. O'Grady
USAF POW/MIA;  A pilot, an engineer, a graduate of the U.S. Naval
Academy & the father of 7  .O'Grady earned the Silver Star, two
Distinguished Flying Crosses, two Bronze Star Medals, and a Purple
 I am the youngest daughter of the seven children and after over 30
years of not knowing the fate of my dad, and wondering if he was alive
or dead or if he suffered;  I finally received  some answers on
Memorial Day 2012.
 The government   interviewed two Vietnamese soldiers that recalled my
father’s last day upon this earth.  He had survived the plane crash
with just a broken leg and a small scalp wound, he landed in a tree
and was entangled in in his parachute rendering him helpless.  As a
result he was captured by two villagers that later handed him over to
two Vietnamese soldiers.  The soldiers did not have a vehicle to
transport him to a hospital so they carried him on a liter.  Hours
later, after requesting water,(which the soldiers did not give him
claiming they did not have a cup) he died before they reached the
hospital.  The soldier recalled O'Grady clinging to a photo of his
wife and family more specifically remembered a picture of at least two
young daughters.
   One soldier stated he remembered the photo so vividly because of
O'Grady's great reluctance to give it up.  After O'Grady died the
soldiers used a Star Fruit Tree as a reference point for burial so
someday his body could be returned to the family and claim they buried
him with his I.D. tags.
 JPAC started excavating the site, near the Star Fruit Tree but they
stated they were forced to suspend the operation due to interference
by one family member.  The family deserves closure and they
desperately seek it. It has been over a year and still JPAC has not
resumed the excavation. It is Time to bring this Hero Home...
 I was 6 years old when my father was shot down & the last letter he
ever wrote, was to me;
The following is a quote from that letter;
""Daddy is flying a lot and the more he flies the sooner he will be
home for good and that's what he wants more than anything else in the
world, so he can give out great big hugs and kisses to everyone, but
especially to little girls in the first grade whom won't be in the
first grade much longer."
Help me to fulfill his last wish & Bring him Home.
Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command is a group of dedicated volunteers
that work tirelessly to account for all our missing soldiers. It is
understandable that they were forced to suspend excavating O'Grady's
burial site. It has been over a year since JPAC suspended operations.
The government knows where O'Grady is buried and we cannot in good
conscience let him lie in an unmarked grave 8,000 miles away. Now it
is time to begin the excavation process again. My mother and five of
my siblings are United in our support of JPAC, we want them to return
to the site to finish the excavation and we will do everything in our
power to stop the individual that is interfering.
  You can HELP By joining O'Grady Thursday; a movement to get him home;

You can also Help by writing JPAC & insisting they Resume the excavation:

For the Complete Story of Colonel John F. O'Grady go to;  http://johnogradymia.blogspot.com/

For information on what occurred in May of 2012 go to;







Return to Service Member Profiles


Major John Francis O'Grady entered the U.S. Air Force from New York and served in the 357th Tactical Fighter Squadron. On April 10, 1967, he piloted a single-seat F-105D Thunderchief (tail number 624537) as the number three aircraft in a flight of four on an armed reconnaissance mission against enemy targets in the Mu Gia Pass, North Vietnam. When he reached the target area, Maj O'Grady maneuvered to make his pass at the target but discovered he was not lined up properly and aborted, and then told the number four aircraft to make a pass and that he would follow. The number four aircraft did not see Maj O'Grady make his pass but did see his ordnance explode. A short time later, Maj O'Grady radioed that he was hit by enemy fire and one engine was overheating. He ejected, and his parachute was seen on the ground near (GC) 48Q WE 819 719, though it was unclear if Maj O'Grady was in his parachute or not. No rescue beeper signals were heard, and Maj O'Grady was not seen again. Subsequent searches to locate him or his remains were unsuccessful. Following the incident, the Air Force promoted Maj O'Grady to the rank of Colonel (Col). Today, Colonel O'Grady is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

Based on all information available, DPAA assessed the individual's case to be in the analytical category of Active Pursuit.

If you are a family member of this serviceman, DPAA can provide you with additional information and analysis of your case. Please contact your casualty office representative.

Service member profile discrepancy? Please help us ensure the accuracy of each profile by submitting documentation about a service member profile.