Name: Craig Roland Nobert
Rank/Branch: O2/US Air Force
Unit: 41st Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, Takhli AB TH
Date of Birth: 03 December 1941
Home City of Record: Avon CT
Date of Loss: 20 July 1966
Country of Loss: North Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 215058N 1051657E (WK292160)
Status (in 1973): Missing in Action
Category: 2
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: EB66C

Other Personnel in Incident: Lawrence Barbay; Norman A. McDaniel; Edwin L.
Hubbard; William H. Means Jr.; Glendon W. Perkins (all released POWs)

Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 15 May 1990 from one or more of the
following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence with
POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W.


SYNOPSIS: The Douglas EB66C Skywarrior was outfitted as an electronic warfare
aircraft which carried roughly 5 tons of electronic gear in addition to its
flight crew of three and technical personnel. The EB66C featured a pressurized
capsule installed in the bomb bay, that accommodated four technicians whose
responsibility was to operate electronic reconnaissance gear.

On July 20, 1966, an EB66C was dispatched from the 41st Tactical Reconnaissance
Squadron at Takhli Airbase in Thailand on an electronic countermeasure mission
over North Vietnam. The crew and technicians that day included Capt. Lawrence
Barbay, Capt. Glendon W. Perkins, Capt. Norman A. McDaniel, Capt. William H.
Means Jr., 1Lt. Edward L. Hubbard, and 1Lt. Craig R. Nobert. Nobert served as
the electronics warfare officer on the flight.

The flight was normal to the target area near Tuyen Quang, Quang Bac Thai
Province, North Vietnam. At this point, the aircraft was orbited east/west.
During this maneuver, the aircraft was hit by hostile fire. Two parachutes were
seen to eject the aircraft, after which the aircraft descended and

In the spring of 1973, 591 Americans were released from prison camps in Vietnam,
including most of the crew of the Skywarrior lost on July 20, 1966. They had
been held in various POW camps in and around Hanoi for nearly seven years. Only
Nobert remained Missing in Action.

For 24 years, the Vietnamese have denied knowledge of the fate of Craig R.
Nobert, even though the U.S. believes there is a good possibility he was
captured and died in captivity. On January 18, 1978, the Department of the Air
Force declared Craig Nobert dead, based on no specific information he was still

Disturbing testimony was given to Congress in 1980 that the Vietnamese
"stockpiled" the remains of Americans to return at politically advantageous
times. Could Nobert be waiting, in a casket, for just such a moment?

Even more disturbing are the nearly 10,000 reports received by the U.S. relating
to Americans missing in Southeast Asia. Many authorities who have examined this
information (largely classified), have reluctantly come to the conclusion that
many Americans are still alive in Southeast Asia. Could Nobert be among these?

Perhaps the most compelling questions when remains are returned are, "Is it
really who they say it is?", and "How -- and when -- did he die?" As long as
reports continue to be received which indicate Americans are still alive in
Indochina, we can only regard the return of remains as a politically expedient
way to show "progress" on accounting for American POW/MIAs. As long as reports
continue to be received, we must wonder how many are alive.

As long as even one American remains alive, held against his will, we must do
everything possible to bring him home -- alive.

During their captivity, Perkins, Barbay and McDaniel were promoted to the rank
of Major. Hubbard was promoted to the rank of Captain. Means was promoted to the
rank of Lieutenant Colonel.

Craig R. Nobert was promoted to the rank of Major during the period he was
maintained missing.

Norman A. McDaniel resided in Camp Springs, Maryland in early 1990.

William H. Means, Jr. died in 1986 as a result of illness stemming from his
incarceraton in Vietnam.

The EGRESS reports note that William Means was told by the interrogator
"EEL" that Craig Norbert died one hour after capture from burns.