Name: Wallace Grant Newcomb
Rank/Branch: O3/United States Air Force
Unit: 13th TFS
Date of Birth: 27 July 1940
Home City of Record: Painted Post NY
Date of Loss: 03 August 67
Country of Loss: North Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 212500 North  1061700 East
Status (in 1973): Returnee
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: F105D

Other Personnel in Incident: none

Source: Compiled by P.O.W. NETWORK from one or more of the following: raw
data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA
families, published sources, interviews. 2020


SOURCE: WE CAME HOME  copyright 1977
Captain and Mrs. Frederic A Wyatt (USNR Ret), Barbara Powers Wyatt, Editor
P.O.W. Publications, 10250 Moorpark St., Toluca Lake, CA 91602
Text is reproduced as found in the original publication (including date and
spelling errors).
UPDATE - 09/95 by the P.O.W. NETWORK, Skidmore, MO

Captain - United States Air Force
Shot Down: August 3, 1967
Released: March 14, 1973

I was born 27 July 1940 in Easton, Pa., but came to Painted Post, N.Y., about
one week later where I have lived ever since. I went through school here and
graduated from high school in the class of '58. After that I went to the
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor and graduated with a BBA, Bachelor of
Business Administration. I got my commission through the Air Force ROTC
program. So much for school. However, I very much enjoyed my days at the
University and would recommend it without any qualifications or reservations.

I entered the Air Force in Undergraduate Pilot Training at Craig Air Force
Base, Alabama. There we flew T-37s and T-33s. My ambition was to fly the F-105
D, mainly because it was the biggest, fastest and at that time it seemed like
it may have been the last of the single seat fighters. Fortunately that no
longer seems to be the case as single seat aircraft seem to be appearing
again. As luck would have it, I was able to get my F-105 assignment and then
went west to Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada for F-105 gunnery school. After
Nellis I went to Germany. This was a good assignment but it did not last long
enough. Then I went to Thailand. At Korat I got shot down on 3 August about 7
AM on a Thursday morning. From then on my story is similar to many others.

I guess my biggest recreational activity is skiing, a sport which I really
love. Incidentally, it was great fun getting started again with all the
changes in equipment and techniques since I last skied. I am also sort of a
bug on sports cars.

So far I am still single and have no pressing plans for marriage. My Mom and
Dad are living and their home is my present address.

I must say that Painted Post gave me a great welcome when I returned to the

Wallace Newcomb retired from the NYANG as a Lt. Colonel. He and his wife
Janet reside in South Carolina.

Newcomb received a Silver Star for his actions during the war. National POW/MIA Recognition Day is held annually on the third Friday of September in ...