Name: Lewis E. Meyer
Rank/Branch: Civilian
Date of Birth: 3 August 1933 ( San Diego, CA)
Home City of Record:
Date of Loss: 01 February 1968
Country of Loss: South Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 162730N 1073600E
Status (in 1973): Returnee
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: Ground

Other Personnel in Incident: Gostas, Theodore USA (released); Henderson,
Alexander CIV (released); Daves, Gary CIV (released); Olsen, Robert CIV
(Released); Page, Russell CIV (Released); Rander, Donald USA (Released);
Rushton, Thomas CIV (Released); Spalding, Richard CIV (Released); Stark,
Lawrence CIV attached to USN (Released); Willis, Charles CIV (Released).

Source: Compiled by P.O.W. NETWORK 14 February 1997 from one or more of the
following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources and information
provided by Ret. Major Gostas and Lawrence Stark.  2020

REMARKS: 730327 Released by PRG


Meyer was working in the northern part of South Vietnam during TET '68 when
Hue came under seige. Ret. Major Ted Gostas (135th MIBN PROV) recalls being
trapped without his radio in the city, and being unable to warn hundreds of
5th Marines as they walked into an ambush and their death. Government
records indicate Meyer and 11 others were captured soon afterward. Ten of
those were civilians working with the Vietnamese.

Lewis Meyer was held captive for 4 1/2 years prior to his release on March
27, 1973.

SOURCE: WE CAME HOME  copyright 1977
Captain and Mrs. Frederic A Wyatt (USNR Ret), Barbara Powers Wyatt, Editor
P.O.W. Publications, 10250 Moorpark St., Toluca Lake, CA 91602
Text is reproduced as found in the original publication (including date and
spelling errors).
UPDATE - 09/95 by the P.O.W. NETWORK, Skidmore, MO

Captured: February 1, 1968
Released: March 27, 1973

I was born in San Diego, California on 3 August 1933. I served in Korea while
with the US Army from 8 May 1951 to 7 May 1954. After my discharge from the
Army I joined the Federal Fire Department where I served as crash fire
supervisor at NAS North Island, Miramar and at Cubi Point in the Philippine
Islands. In October of 1967, I was assigned to the NAS Da Nang as Assistant
Fire Chief in charge of co-ordinating and standardizing fire departments in I
Corp. While on an inspection trip in the northern part of I Corp I was
captured with ground forces in Hue during the 1968 Tet offensive. I was held
by the North Vietnamese Army for 62 months and was released in Hanoi on March
27, 1973.

My wife's name is Gail and we have two sons, Bill, age 20, a student at the
University of California at San Diego, and Jeff, age 17, a senior at Kearney
High School.


Lewis Meyer resided in the Aleutian Islands until his return to California.


Civilian gets his medals

S.D. native was taken prisoner as federal firefighter in Vietnam


Originally published January 8, 2010 at 4:04 p.m., updated January 9, 2010 at 12:46 a.m.

K.C. Alfred / Union-Tribune

......Lewis E. Meyer was awarded three military medals yesterday, two Purple Hearts and a Prisoner of War Medal, during the ceremony on the Midway. Navy Rear Adm. William French pinned the medals; former Rep. Duncan Hunter (right) attended.....


John Wilkens: (619) 293-2236;


Another story: