Name: Raymond Gregory Moore
Rank/Branch: E4/US Army
Unit: Company A, 5th Battalion, 12th Infantry, 199th Light Infantry Brigade
Date of Birth: 02 April 1949
Home City of Record: Cincinnati OH
Date of Loss: 09 October 1969
Country of Loss: South Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 110546N 1070433E (YD267273)
Status (in 1973): Killed/Body Not Recovered
Category: 4
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: UH1D
Refno: 1500

Source: Compiled from one or more of the following: raw data from U.S.
Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA families,
published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK in 2020.

Other Personnel in Incident: Jimmy R. Garbett; Dallas A. Driver; James L.
Suydam; James H. Turner; (all missing).  WO Kilbourne (the pilot -
survived); unnamed crew chief, (survived immediate crash, later drowned -
remains recovered); CW4 James W. Bailey (aircraft commander - remains


SYNOPSIS: On October 9, 1969, a UH1H helicopter crew and passengers were
attempting an extraction from a mined pickup zone in eastern Long Khanh
Province, South Vietnam near the shores of the Song Dong Nai River.

During the extraction attempt, the helicopter's rotor blade struck trees,
causing the loss of rotor RPM's and lift capability. The helicopter began
losing altitude, turned right and headed west and downriver in an attempt to
regain air speed. Shortly thereafter, the aircraft struck 15-20 feet of
water in an almost level attitude, and sank on its left side in less than 10

Immediate and continuous air and water searches, loudspeaker broadcasts, and
phamplet distributions were conducted during the period of 9-15 October and
19-21 October, suspended October 16-18 only because of poor weather
conditions. No recovery was made of any of those missing from the aircraft,
but the remains of two personnel aboard were located and subsequently

A LRRP swimmer trying to inspect the site had difficulty staying afloat even
with a rope. The individual reported that equipment seen on the shore after
the crash appeared to be alternately submerged and then reappear. It could
not be determined at the time how many persons escaped the aircraft. One who
was known to escape (unnamed in Army records) reported that he could not
make it to shore and went under. Another survivor reported seeing him go
down within 3-4 feet of him, but never saw him again. One of the individuals
who was initially seen to survive, later drowned or was lost in the

The only survivor of the original crash was WO Kilbourne, the pilot. The two
remains located were identified as the crew chief, who had survived the
immediate crash, but later drowned. CW4 James W. Bailey, the aircraft
commander, was lost and remains recovered.

The waters of the Song Dong Nai River were swift and treacherous. It is
particularly tragic that men who survived an aircraft would drown trying to
reach safety. Driver, Garbett, Moore and Turner were listed as Killed, Body
Not Recovered. Since their remains were never found, they are listed with
honor among the missing.

Unlike the crew of the UH1H, many of the cases of missing Americans in
Southeast Asia have no clear resolution. Some were known to have been
captives, but simply did not come home. Others were alive and well the last
time they were seen. Reports continue to be received on some, specifically
by name and location. Many authorities believe that there are hundreds still
alive being held against their wills.

Although the U.S. has named the resolution of the POW/MIA issue of "highest
national priority", little seems to have been done for those who wait for
their country to secure their freedom.




Return to Service Member Profiles

On October 9, 1969, a UH-1D Iroquois (tail number 63-8826) with nine men aboard was taking off after a troop extraction when its rotor blades struck some trees along the Dong Na River bank. In an attempt to regain altitude and airspeed, the pilot headed over the river, but the helicopter soon struck the water and sank within seconds. Other aircraft in the area surveyed the crash site and observed personnel and debris in the water, but they were soon swept under by the swift current. Only two men were able to survive the crash and swim to shore to be rescued. The remains of two other individuals who were aboard the helicopter were eventually recovered and identified, but the remaining five men are still unaccounted for. 

Specialist 4 Raymond Gregory Moore entered the U.S. Army from Ohio and served in Company A, 5th Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 199th Light Infantry Brigade. He was a passenger on board this helicopter at the time of its crash and could not be located following the incident. Attempts to recover his remains were unsuccessful. The Army promoted Specialist 4 Moore to the rank of sergeant after the incident. Today, Sergeant Moore is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. 

Based on all information available, DPAA assessed the individual's case to be in the analytical category of Non-recoverable.

If you are a family member of this serviceman, DPAA can provide you with additional information and analysis of your case. Please contact your casualty office representative.

Service member profile discrepancy? Please help us ensure the accuracy of each profile by submitting documentation about a service member profile.