Name: Michael Wayne Marker
Rank/Branch: O3/US Army
Unit: Cover designation: 138th Aviation Company, 224th "Aviation" Battalion,
509th RR Group (Actual unit designation: 138th ASA Company, 224th ASA Battalion
(Aviation), U.S. Army Security Agency Group, Vietnam)
Date of Birth: 10 September 1944 (Shreveport LA)
Home City of Record: Wichita Falls TX
Date of Loss: 04 March 1971
Country of Loss: North Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 165809N 1065407E (YD025770)
Status (in 1973): Missing In Action
Category: 3
Acft/Vehicle/Ground: JU21A

Other Personnel in Incident: Rodney D. Osborne; Richard J. Hentz; Harold L.
Algaad; John T. Strawn (all missing)


Source: Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK from one or more of the following: raw
data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA
families, published sources, interviews, Internet information.  2020

SYNOPSIS: On March 4, 1971 Capt. Michael W. Marker, pilot of a JU21-A twin
engine turbo prop (serial number 18065, call sign Vanguard 216) departed Phu
Bai, Republic of Vietnam on an early morning combat support mission in the
vicinity of the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ). His crew that morning consisted of
WO1 Harold L. Algaard, co-pilot; SP5 Rodney D. Osborne, technical observer; SP5
Richard J. Hentz, crewman; and SP6 John T. Strawn, crewman. The pilot and crew
were assigned to the 138th Aviation Company, 224th Aviation Battalion, 509th RR
(Radio Research) Group, a cover designation for their real unit in USASA.

"Radio Research" was actually a secret cover designation for certain units
operating under the direction of the U.S. Army Security Agency Group, Vietnam.
All missions of this agency were highly classified. The 224th Aviation
Battalion was referred to as an aviation battalion in Vietnam for security
reasons only. The JU21A aircrew's actual unit designation was 138th ASA
Company, 224th ASA Battalion (Aviation), U.S. Army Security Agency Group,

Two hours into the mission, at 0840 hours, radio and radar communication was
lost. When the aircraft failed to return from the mission at the appointed
time, search efforts were initiated and continued for 2 days over a 300 mile
area, but proved negative. A reliable source indicated that an aerial
detonation in the vicinity of the DMZ occurred on March 4, 1971 at the same
flight altitude and pattern flown by Vanguard 216. Hostile threat in the area
precluded any visits to the suspected area of the crash. No trace was ever
found of the aircraft or the crew.

While the missing crew members were initially listed as Missing In Action, a
change in status to Killed In Action, Body Not Recovered (KIA/BNR) occurred
within 90 days of the incident. Regarding the status change, the families were
told that all information pertinent to the incident was classified and would
remain classified for ten years.

Since that date, the families have been told that the aircraft was involved in
electronic surveillance, and their mission was top secret. The aircraft was hit
by enemy artillery and was downed over North Vietnam. A "classified source"
stated that the crew was killed. The rest is classified.

Efforts through numerous inquiries, including a Congressional inquiry in 1982,
to reveal what information was contained in the "classified source" have been
fruitless. Through the Congressional inquiry, it was learned that information
regarding the loss of Vanguard 216 would be classified until the year 2010 A.D.

Since American involvement in Southeast Asia ended in 1975, nearly 10,000
reports relating to Americans missing in Vietnam have been received by the U.S.
Government. Most non-government authorities believe there are hundreds of
Americans still alive in the communist prisons of Southeast Asia. The U.S.
Government remains nebulous in their statements, saying only that the
"possibility" exists, but cannot be confirmed.

The crew of Vanguard 216 has been missing for nearly 20 years. The families of
the men aboard hold little hope that they are still alive. But they would like
to know - and deserve to know - what happened on that day. If, as the U.S.
Government seems to believe, all the men are now dead, why the cover of secrecy
regarding their fates? It's time we got answers, and it's time those who remain
alive are brought home.


December 1997

At the following web page: http//

you will find some additional information concerning the loss of Vanguard
216.....was called "LEFT JAB" and there is a paragraph describing the system
on that page.....There is also some correspondence that I had with Mike
Marker's son, Jeff, and a declassified memo concerning the analysis of an
intercepted wirephoto of the Left Jab crash wreckage....

Dennis Buley
Special Electronics Mission Aircraft Webmaster


The official NSA website has more than the below clip.

The last ASA aircraft lost to hostile fire was a U.S. Army JU-21A LEFT JAB
assigned to the 138th Radio Research Company based at Phu Bai, near the DMZ.
On 4 March 1971 it took off on an intelligence-gathering mission. The
aircraft headed northwest towards the DMZ between North and South Vietnam.
Reportedly, the aircraft's mission was to collect intelligence regarding
surface-to-air missile sites, either in the DMZ or just north of it. Shortly
after departure, the JU-21A, tail #67-18062, was shot down.

The crew was declared missing in action. A search effort to locate the
aircraft along its known flight path produced no findings. Those lost were:

      CPT Michael W. Marker from Wichita Falls, Texas KIA/BNR WO1

      Harold L. Algaard from Fosston, Minnesota KIA/BNR

      SP6 John T. Strawn from Salem, Oregon KIA/BNR

      SP5 Richard J. Hentz from Oshkosh, Wisconsin KIA/BNR

      SP5 Rodney D. Osborne from Kent, Washington KIA/BNR

Retired CW2 Joseph Hayes recalls that day: "I was scheduled to fly on that
aircraft. I had previous morse and DF experience. That morning, I was just
climbing in, when someone came running up to the plane and told me that I
had been bumped. SP6 John T. Strawn jumped on in my place. My duty
assignment as briefing team chief just took priority over this mission. The
CG ASA Pacific, General Wolf, was coming in and a briefing was required. I
was put on the next C-130 out of Phu Bai for Tan Son Nhut. SP6 Strawn and
the rest of the crew took off shortly thereafter and they never landed."




Return to Service Member Profiles

On March 4, 1971, a JU-21 LEFT JAB (tail number 18065, call sign "Vanguard 216") with a crew of five departed Phu Bai Air Base, South Vietnam, on a signal intelligence collection mission over Quang Tri Province. The aircraft's last radio communication was from a location near the Demilitarized Zone where an enemy artillery regiment was believed to be located and where witnesses saw an aerial explosion. Search and rescue efforts were carried out for two days, but were unsuccessful.

Captain Michael Wayne Marker, who joined the U.S. Army from Texas, served with the 138th Aviation Company, 224th Aviation Battalion, 509th Radio Research Group. He was the pilot of the LEFT JAB when it disappeared, and his remains were not recovered. Today, Captain Marker is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. 

Based on all information available, DPAA assessed the individual's case to be in the analytical category of Deferred.

If you are a family member of this serviceman, DPAA can provide you with additional information and analysis of your case. Please contact your casualty office representative.

Service member profile discrepancy? Please help us ensure the accuracy of each profile by submitting documentation about a service member profile.