Name: Roy Madden Jr.
Rank/Branch: E5/US Air Force, Gunner
Unit: 307th Strat Wing, Anderson Air Base, Guam
Date of Birth: 23 December 1937
Home City of Record: Hayward CA
Date of Loss: 20 December 1972
Country of Loss: North Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 210500N 1054000E (WJ692313)
Status (in 1973): Released POW
Acft/Vehicle/Ground: B52G
Other Personnel In Incident: William Y. Arcuri; Terry M. Geloneck; Michael R.
Martini (all released POWs); Craig A. Paul; Warren R. Spencer (both remains
Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 15 October 1990 from one or more of
the following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence
with POW/MIA families, published sources, including "Linebacker" by Karl J.
Eschmann. Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK 2012.
SYNOPSIS: Frustrated by problems in negotiating a peace settlement, and
pressured by a Congress and public wanting an immediate end to American
involvement in Vietnam, President Nixon ordered the most concentrated air
offensive of the war, known as Linebacker II, in December 1972. During the
offensive, sometimes called the "Christmas bombings," 40,000 tons of bombs
were dropped, primarily over military targets in the area between Hanoi and
Haiphong. White House Press Secretary Ronald Ziegler said that the bombing
would end only when all U.S. POWs were released and an internationally
recognized cease-fire was in force.
The Christmas Bombings were of the most precise the world had seen. Pilots
involved in the immense series of strikes generally agree that the strikes
against anti-aircraft and strategic targets was so successful that the U.S.
"could have taken the entire country of Vietnam by inserting an average Boy
Scout troop in Hanoi and marching it southward."
The operation had its costs, however, in loss of aircraft and personnel.
During the month of December 1972, 62 crewmembers of B52 aircraft were shot
down and captured or went missing. Of these 62, 33 men were released in
1973. The remains of roughly a dozen more have been returned over the years,
and the rest are still missing. At least 10 those missing survived to eject
safely. Yet they did not return at the end of the war.
On December 20, 1972, three B52 aircraft -- Quilt Cell -- departed Anderson
Air Base, Guam for a bombing mission over Hanoi. One of the aircraft was
flown by Capt. Terry M. Geloneck. The crew consisted of 1Lt. William Y.
Arcuri, co-pilot; Capt. Craig A. Paul, Electronic Warfare Officer; Capt.
Warren R. Spencer, the radar navigator; 1LT Michael R. Martini, navigator;
and SSgt. Roy Madden, the gunner.
Approaching the initial point where the bombing run was to begin, the EWO
(Paul) reported SAM signals. The aircraft instituted evasive maneuvers while
calmly running through their checklist in preparation of releasing the
twenty-seven 750-pound bomb load.
About 30 seconds to target, three or four SAMs were sighted. The crew could
do nothing but watch their progress until the "bombs away" was called and
evasive action could be taken. After releasing the bomb load, the aircraft
had been in a hard turn about 10 seconds when the loud metallic bank of an
exploding SAM hit them, accompanied by a bright white flash. The aircraft
was still airborne and in its post-target turn.
Martini reported that he, Arcuri and Spencer were okay, but that they had
sustained a fuel leak in the left main fuel tank, and that cabin
pressurization was lost. Paul had been hit and was bleeding heavily. There
were four six-inch holes in the fuselage next to Madden, and his leg was
As the aircraft began losing altitude, the crew prepared for bailout.
Geloneck, Arcuri, Martini and Madden successfully ejected from the aircraft
and were captured immediately. It is not known whether Spencer and Paul
When they were released in mid-February, 1973, Madden, Martini, Arcuri and
Geloneck were all injured; Madden's leg was still in dangerous condition,
and he was brought home on a litter. The leg was later amputated. The
Vietnamese returned the remains of Paul and Spencer on September 30, 1977,
despite earlier protestations that they knew nothing about the two.
One thing that amazed analysts about the B52 bombers that were shot down
over Hanoi during this period was the high survival rate of the crewmembers.
Many more were returned as POWs than was expected. The B52s that were shot
down were downed in extremely hostile territory with little or no chance of
rescue. However, they were fortunate to be captured during a period in which
little or no harassment and torture was being experienced by American POWs.
In fact, the Vietnamese were "fattening them up" for their imminent release.
Unfortunately, it does not appear that all the prisoners were returned in
1973 at the end of the war. Since the end of the war, thousands of reports
have been received by the U.S. Government relating to Americans still alive
in captivity. U.S. experts have stated they believe Americans are still
being held prisoner in Southeast Asia. The question is no longer whether any
are alive, but who are they, and how can we bring them home?
SOURCE: WE CAME HOME  copyright 1977 Captain and Mrs. Frederic A Wyatt (USNR
Ret), Barbara Powers Wyatt, Editor P.O.W. Publications, 10250 Moorpark St.,
Toluca Lake, CA 91602 Text is reproduced as found in the original
publication (including date and spelling errors).
UPDATE - 09/95 by the P.O.W. NETWORK, Skidmore, MO
Technical Sergeant - United States Air Force
Shot Down: December 20, 1972
Released: February 12, 1973
I was born December 24, 1937 in Oklahoma. I will have 18 years in the Air
Force on October 5, 1973. When my B-52 was shot down, I was injured. As soon
as I am discharged from the hospital, I will take my convalescent leave.
I plan to remain in the Air Force but what I will do in the Air Force in the
future, I haven't yet decided. When I retire, I plan to live in the
Marysville - Sacramento area.
So many Americans have written to me, with their prayers and the help of
God, I have made a speedy recovery. I am still in the hospital at the
present time and am being fitted with a new leg. I hope to be out soon so
that I may join my wonderful wife and my three sons. I want to thank you for
your concern.
God bless you.
Roy Madden retired from the United States Air Force as a TSgt. He resided in
California until his death in late 1997.
Mon Jan 26 1998
Subject: Testimony on Roy Madden
I was in Roy's room prior to release as one of 3 "non-recent"
shootdowns who were permitted to take care of the B-52 wounded (also
Ralph Galati + JB Souder).   Let me tell you, Roy was a superstar - it
was his spirit more than our care that brought those guys around. 
There's lots more to this story that really has never been told.
Ted Sienicki


TSgt Roy Madden, Jr., NAM-POW: