Remains ID'd  02/2011

Name: James Leslie Moreland
Rank/Branch: E4/US Army Special Forces
Unit: Company C, Detachment A-101, 12th Mobile Strike Force, 5th Special
Forces  [SEE BELOW]
MOS: 91B4S
Date of Birth: 29 September 1945 (Bessemer AL)
Home City of Record: Anaheim CA,
        Joined Service October 1, 1965
        Started Vietnam tour Oct 1, 1967
Loss Date: 07 February 1968
        Parents notified of MIA status 13FEB68
        On 23 FEB 68 a recommendation was made that his status be changed to KIA.
        Parent's notified their Son is not on the list of POWs from Paris 28JAN73.
Country of Loss: South Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 163602N 1064058E (XD795360)
Status (in 1973): Missing In Action
Category: 1
Acft/Vehicle/Ground: Ground
Refno: 1040
M080.jpg (9786 bytes)


Moreland's basic training photo at 
Ft Polk in 1965

The Misplaced MIA -
A Forgotten Tale of the Rancho La Puente


Note: All County Running Back, class of 1963, Western High School, Anaheim, CA. Attended Fullerton Junior College, Fullerton CA for 2 years. (1964-1965 school years)

m080a.jpg (16394 bytes)

Les Moreland, # 29

m080c.jpg (8533 bytes)

m080b.jpg (8840 bytes)

Les Moreland

All Orange Country; All Sunset League; All Pioneer; Player of the Westminster game.

Western 0  Westminster 26

Photo Top Left, Les Morelan, Senior Halfback
Bottom Left John Scarlett, Senior Center

"Against Westminster, the Pioneers not only lost the game, but they lost their strating quarterback, Andy Messersmith. Due to injury, Andy was forced to sit out the rest of the season. Perhaps the only good thing to come out of the game was the discovery of Les Morelan who made 86 tackle points."

Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project from one or more of the following:
raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA
families, published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK in
98/99, Nov 2002 with information from B. Jacobs and 05/2009 with information
from Dennis Thompson.  2019.

Personnel In Incident: Dennis L. Thompson; William G. McMurry; Harvey G.
Brande; (all released 1973). Kenneth Hanna; Daniel R. Phillips; James W.
Holt; James Moreland; Charles Lindewald; (all missing); Eugene Ashley Jr.


Prior Military Assignments:

01 OCT 65 - 26 NOV 65, Co D, 4th Bn, 1st Tng Bde, Ft Polk, LA: Trainee
11 DEC 65 - 03 FEB 66, Co A, 2d Bn, 3rd Bde, Ft Jackson, SC; AIT
04 FEB 66 - 01 MAR 66, 45th Co, 4th Stu Bn, TSB, Ft Benning, GA; Basic Abn Tng
02 MAR 66 - 17 JUL 66, Co B, USA, SFTG (Abn), Ft Bragg, NC; Med Spec
18 JUL 66 - 09 SEP 66, Co I, USA, SFTG (Abn), Ft Bragg, NC; Med Spec
17 OCT 66 - 20 NOV 66, Hl MFSS (3410-02) BAMC, Ft Sam Houston, TX; Special
Forces Aidman
21 NOV 66 - 20 JAN 67, SF, USAFG, Ft Bragg, NC, atch USAH, Ft Rucker, AL;
Medical Corps Tng
22 JAN 67 - 19 MAY 67, Co D, USAF SFTG (Abn), Ft Bragg, NC; Med Spec (SF)
04 JUL 67 - 07 FEB 68, Co C, 5th SFG (Abn), 1st SF (atch); Med Spec
Recommended for promotion 05 FEB 68.

SYNOPSIS: The Lang Vei Special Forces camp in the northwestern corner of
South Vietnam along Route 9, a mile and a half from the Laotian border.had
been established in late December 1966 as a result of the Special Forces
Detachment A101 having been moved out of its former Khe Sanh location. It
seemed ill fated from the beginning.

In March 1967, one of the worst tragedies to befall the Special Forces CIDG
program during the war occurred. U.S. Air Force released napalm ordnance on
the nearby village which spewed exploding fire over the camp, landing zone,
minefield and village. 135 CIDG and native civilians were killed, and 213
were horribly wounded, burned or disfigured.

Only two months later, on May 4, a Viet Cong night attack on the camp wiped
out the Special Forces command group, all in one bunker, and killed the
detachment commander and his executive officer, as well as seriously
wounding the team sergeant. This attack was a prelude to the larger siege of
Khe Sanh, and was a grim reminder of the dangerous neighborhood Special
Forces had moved into.

By January 1968, several North Vietnamese Army divisions had encircled the
Marine combat base at Khe Sanh, placing the more westerly Lang Vei Special
Forces frontier surveillance camp in imminent danger. The camp was occupied
by Detachment A101 commanded by Capt. Frank C. Willoughby. Willoughby was
rebuilding and reinforcing the camp at the time, while soldiers and
dependants from the Kha tribal 33rd Laotian Volunteer Battalion streamed
into the camp after being overrun by NVA tanks across the border.

On the evening of January 24, the camp was pounded by mortars in conjunction
with a heavy shelling of the Marine Khe Sanh base, which prevented any
effective artillery support for Lang Vei. 1Lt. Paul R. Longgrear had only
recently arrived with his Hre tribal 12th Mobile Strike Force Company to
help shore up defensive firepower.

The influx of the Laotians caused some problems. For example, the Lao
battalion commander refused to take orders from the American captain,
forcing the Company C commander, LtCol. Daniel F. Schungel, to come to Lang
Vei on his first Special Forces assignment on February 6 to provide an
officer of equal rank.

Camp strength on February 6 totalled 24 Special Forces, 14 LLDB, 161 mobile
strike force, 282 CIDG (Bru and Vietnamese), 6 interpreters and 520 Laotian
soldiers, plus a number of civilians.

Shortly after midnight on February 7, 1968, a combined NVA infantry-tank
assault drove into Lang Vei. Two PT-76 tanks threatened the outer perimeter
of the camp as infantry rushed behind them. SFC James W. Holt destroyed both
tanks with shots from his 106mm recoilless rifle. More tanks came around the
burning hulks of the first two tanks and began to roll over the 104th CIDG
Company's defensive positions. SSgt. Peter Tiroch, the assistant
intelligence sergeant, ran over to Holt's position and helped load the
weapon. Holt quickly lined up a third tank in his sights and destroyed it
with a direct hit. After a second shot at the tank, Holt and Tiroch left the
weapons pit just before it was demolished by return cannon fire. Tiroch
watched Holt run over to the ammunition bunker to look for some hand-held
Light Anti-tank Weapons (LAWs). It was the last time Holt was ever seen.

LtCol. Schungel, 1Lt. Longgrear, SSgt. Arthur Brooks, Sgt. Nikolas Fragos,
SP4 William G. McMurry, Jr., and LLDB Lt. Quy desperately tried to stop the
tanks with LAWs and grenades. They even climbed on the plated engine decks,
trying to pry open hatches to blast out the crews. NVA infantrymen followed
the vehicles closely, dusting their sides with automatic rifle fire. One
tank was stopped by five direct hits, and the crew killed as they tried to
abandon the vehicle. 1Lt. Miles R. Wilkins, the detachment executive
officer, left the mortar pit with several LAWs and fought a running
engagement with one tank beside the team house without much success.

Along the outer perimeters, the mobile strike force outpost was receiving
fire. Both Kenneth Hanna, a heavy weapons specialist, and Charles W.
Lindewald, 12th Mobile Strike Force platoon leader, were wounded. Hanna,
wounded in the scalp, left shoulder and arm tried to administer first aid to
Lindewald. The two were last seen just before their position was overrun.
Harvey Brande spoke with them by radio and Hanna indicated that Lindewald
was then dead, and that he himself was badly wounded. Daniel R. Phillips, a
demolitions specialist, was wounded in the face and was last seen trying to
evade North Vietnamese armor by going through the northern perimeter wire. .
NVA sappers armed with satchel charges, tear gas grenades and flamethrowers
fought through the 101st, 102nd and 103rd CIDG perimeter trenches and
captured both ends of the compound by 2:30 a.m. Spearheaded by tanks, they
stormed the inner compound. LtCol. Schungel and his tank-killer personnel
moved back to the command bunker for more LAWs. They were pinned behind a
row of dirt and rock filled drums by a tank that had just destroyed one of
the mortar pits. A LAW was fired against the tank with no effect. The cannon
swung around and blasted the barrels in front of the bunker entrance. The
explosion temporarily blinded McMurry and mangled his hands, pitched a heavy
drum on top of Lt. Wilkins and knocked Schungel flat. Lt. Quy managed to
escape to another section of the camp, but the approach of yet another tank
prevented Schungel and Wilkins from following. At some point during this
period, McMurry, a radioman, disappeared.

The tank, which was shooting at the camp observation post, was destroyed
with a LAW. Schungel helped Wilkins over to the team house, where he left
both doors ajar and watched for approaching NVA soldiers. Wilkins was
incapacitated and weaponless, and Schungel had only two grenades and two
magazines of ammunition left. He used one magazine to kill a closely huddled
five-man sapper squad coming toward the building. He fed his last magazine
into his rifle as the team house was rocked with explosions and bullets. The
two limped over to the dispensary, which was occupied by NVA soldiers, and
hid underneath it, behind a wall of sandbags.

At some point, Brande, Thompson and at least one Vietnamese interpreter were
captured by the North Vietnamese. Thompson was uninjured, but Brande had
taken shrapnel in his leg. Brande and Thompson were held separately for a
week, then rejoined in Laos. Joined with them was McMurry, who had also been
captured from the camp. The three were moved up the Ho Chi Minh trail to
North Vietnam and held until 1973. The U.S. did not immediately realize they
had been captured, and carried them in Missing in Action status thoughout
the rest of the war, although Brande's photo was positively identified by a
defector in April 1969 as being a Prisoner of War. A Vietnamese interpreter
captured from the camp told Brande later that he had seen both Lindewald and
Hanna, and that they both were dead. In his post-captivity debriefing after
his release in 1973, Dennis Thompson stated "Moreland was alive and fighting
attackers at Lang Vei Special Forces Camp on 07 FEB 68 when seen last."

Several personnel, including Capt. Willoughby, assistant platoon leader SP4
James L. Moreland, the medic for the mobile strike force, and Lt. Quan, the
LLDB camp commander, were trapped in the underground level of the command
bunker. Lt. Longgrear had also retreated to the command bunker. Satchel
charges, thermite grenades and gas grenades were shoved down the bunker air
vents, and breathing was very difficult. Some soldiers had gas masks, but
others had only handkerchiefs or gauze from their first aid packets.

The NVA announced they were going to blow up the bunker, and the LLDB
personnel walked up the stairs to surrender, and were summarily executed. At
dawn, two large charges were put down the vent shaft and detonated,
partially demolishing the north wall and creating a large hole through which
grenades were pitched. The bunker defenders used upturned furniture and
debris to shield themselves. Willoughby was badly wounded by grenade
fragments and passed out at 8:30 a.m. Moreland had been wounded and became
delirious after receiving a head injury in the final bunker explosion.
Incredibly, the battle was still going on in other parts of the camp.

        Even in her grief, Les Moreland's mother wanted to thank a soldier
        who had aided him.

        THE ARMY TO The Moreland family:

        "I regret that I cannot provide you the name and address of the
        individual who aided your son at Lang Vei.  It is Department of the
        Army policy not to release the names of other personnel involved in
        military actions.  I have, however, forwarded a copy of your letter
        to the individual so that he will know of your appreciation of his
        efforts to help your son."  -- Kenneth G. Wickham, Major General,

        "According to the statements of those who were with your son, he was
        critically wounded....James was given medication to help ease the
        pain... Kenneth G. Wickham, Major General, USA.

Aircraft had been strafing the ravines and roads since 1:00 a.m. Throughout
the battle, the Laotians refused to participate, saying they would attack at
first light. Sfc. Eugene Ashley, Jr., the intelligence sergeant, led two
assistant medical specialists, Sgt. Richard H. Allen and SP4 Joel Johnson as
they mustered 60 of the Laotian soldiers and counterattacked into Lang Vei.
The Laotians bolted when a NVA machine gun crew opened fire on them, forcing
the three Americans to withdraw.

Team Sfc. William T. Craig and SSgt. Tiroch had chased tanks throughout the
night with everything from M-79 grenade launchers to a .50 caliber machine
gun. After it had become apparent that the camp had been overrun, they
escaped outside the wire and took temporary refuge in a creek bed. After
daylight, they saw Ashley's counterattack force and joined him. The Special
Forces sergeants persuaded more defenders fleeing down Route 9 to assist
them and tried second, third and fourth assaults. Between each assault,
Ashley directed airstrikes on the NVA defensive line, while the other
Special Forces soldiers gathered tribal warriors for yet another attempt. On
the fifth counterattack, Ashley was mortally wounded only thirty yards from
the command bunker.

Capt. Willoughby had regained consciousness in the bunker about 10:00 a.m.
and established radio contact with the counterattacking Americans. The
continual American airstrikes had forced the North Vietnamese to begin
withdrawing from the camp. Col. Schungel and Lt. Wilkins emerged from under
the dispensary after it was vacated by the North Vietnamese and hobbled out
of the camp.

The personnel in the bunker also left in response to orders to immediately
evacuate the camp. They carried Sgt. John D. Early, who had been badly
wounded by shrapnel while manning the tower, but were forced to leave SP4
Moreland inside the bunker. 1Lt. Thomas D. Todd, an engineer officer in
charge of upgrading Lang Vei's airstrip, held out in the medical bunker
throughout the battle. That afternoon, he was the last American to pass
through the ruined command bunker. He saw Moreland, who appeared to be dead,
covered with debris.

Maj. George Quamo gathered a few dozen Special Forces commando volunteers
from the MACV-SOG base at Khe Sanh (FOB #3) and led a heroic reinforcing
mission into Lang Vei. His arrival enabled the Lang Vei defenders to
evacuate the area, many by Marine helicopters in the late afternoon.

        "Enemy troops occupied the Lang Vei area for several days
        afterwards. However, the base camp was later retaken by our forces
        A complete search has been made of the ruins of the area, but no
        evidence of your son's fate or whereabouts has been found....
        Kenneth G. Wickham, Major General, USA.

Sgt. Richard H. Allen - Survivor
Sfc Eugene Ashley, Jr. - Awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for Lang
Harvey Gordon Brande - Captured - released POW in 1973
SSgt. Arthur Brooks - Survivor
Sfc. William T. Craig - Survivor
Sgt. John D. Early - Survivor
Sgt. Nikolas Fragos - Survivor
Kenneth Hanna - Missing In Action
James William Holt - Missing In Action
SP4 Joel Johnson - Survivor
Charles Wesley Lindewald, Jr. - Missing In Action
1Lt. Paul R. Longgrear - Survivor
SP4 William G. McMurry - Captured - released POW in 1973
James Leslie Moreland - Missing In Action
Daniel Raymond Phillips - Missing In Action
Maj. George Quamo - Killed in Action April 14, 1968
Lt. Quy - Survivor
LtCol. Daniel F. Schungel - appointed deputy commander of the 5th Special
Dennis L. Thompson - Captured - released POW in 1973
SSgt. Peter Tiroch - Survivor
1Lt. Thomas D. Todd - Survivor
1Lt. Miles R. Wilkins - Survivor
Capt. Frank C. Willoughby - Survivor

Five investigations have been undertaken SINCE 1992, none prior to that
time.  The first, interviewd witnesses and concluded all five missing had
died in the incident. An investigation and excavation of a bunker in '93
concluded it was the wrong site. Another witness interview and another site
were excavated in '94. A portion of a human skull was found. Uncertainty
caused 3 more new areas to be excavated in '95. "One human, and one possibly
human bone fragment" were found.


From: Willing, Will
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2000 09:54 AM
Subject: I'm confused

Can you help clarify someting for me please?

When I checked on the bio for James L. Moreland - the name I've been
associated with since Oct '73 - I found the incident report in which it was
mentioned that a Capt. Willoughby (I believe that's who it was was the last
one to see James and that he appeared to be dead and buried under some
rubble.  There was also mention of Jaqmes' being wounded by some shrapnel
and then becoming delerious from a head wound caused by a collapsing bunker.

Here's where I get confused - James is also listed in the "Last Known Alive"
section as "being on the ground and unwounded". Can you help me understand?

Will Willing


The answer came from friends....

James "Les" Moreland was indeed wounded.  In fact -- all the men in the
bunker were wounded.  How he was wounded is not certain.  The original bio
seems to indicate he received his wounds from the satchel charges. Actually
the NVA dug down beside the bunker wall, all night, to place a shaped charge
to breach the 8 inch concrete walls.  William Phillips, (Cousin to Daniel
Phillips) in his book, "Night of the Silver Stars" indicates that Moreland
was wounded in the Bunker's gun tower retrieving an M60, 30-caliber machine
gun.  Phillips claims a PT-76 fired its main cannon at the gun tower.
Moreland was given Morphine, which is contraindicated for a head-wound.
Apparently he had the Team Sergeant pinned under his own rifle.  Those who
played football with Moreland knew him to have exceptional strength.  They
had to hit him with Morphine multiple times to get off.

Moreland was last seen by an Engineer who was in camp named 1LT Thomas D.
Todd.  Todd, who remained hidden during the battle, passed through
the bunker hurriedly, as he was almost left by the waiting choppers.  He
made the statement that he saw Moreland and he appeared dead.  But he
did not check him.  Was he dead?  Or, out on Morphine?

The "last seen alive" comes from the debriefing of former POW, Dennis
Leroy Thompson - Captured - released POW in 1973. When Thompson last saw
Moreland, he was alive and fighting.

When Lang Vei was returned to friendly control, Moreland's body was not
found.  On 23 FEB 68, SFC Gilbert Secor of the C&C detachment gave a sworn
statement to a Board of Officers that the only body found at Lang Vei was
that of SFC Eugene Ashley, still on the jeep, where he had been left in the
haste to evacuate.

The Photo is Moreland's senior year photo from Western High School, Anaheim
CA.  Moreland is survived by his Mother who lives in Washington State.  I
wrote to her recently, but she did not reply.

For more photos of James "Les" Moreland, see --


Bob Jacobs
Pasadena CA


From: "Robert Jacobs" <>
Subject: more accurate scenario for Lang Vei
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:43:40 -0800

I have a lengthy scenario for Lang Vei -- it is too long to send.

I will cut and paste those passages relating to Les Moreland.
It's in segments -- so it won't read as the entire story

The excerpts I sent are from a monograph :
Battle of Lang Vei
John A. Cash (Maj., US Army)

Sad news is, Les' mother, Gladys Parks, passed away April 1, 2001 in Yelm
Washington. I wrote to her in 1999 -- I hope my letter was a comfort.

Kindest regards,

Bob Jacobs


Frustrated, Schungel grabbed another LAW, and with Fragos raced after the
tank to get a closer shot. Spec. 4 James L. Moreland, a medic with the
mobile strike force who had observed the action from the team house, joined
them. When he thought he was close enough, Schungel fired his remaining
weapon. Misfire! Desperately, amidst a hail of enemy small arms and machine
gun fire, the three Americans fired their M16's at the tank's apertures and
tossed grenades at its treads, but to no avail.

Specialist Moreland and Sergeant Fragos ran for the ammunition bunker on the
western side of the 2d Combat Reconnaissance Platoon area where an ample
supply of explosives was stored, but as they passed the 4.2-inch mortar pit,
an enemy artillery round landed in a fuel dump next to the ammunition
bunker. The dump exploded with a roaring flame, belching thick, boiling,
black smoke skyward. The path to the ammunition now blocked, Moreland and
Fragos turned back toward the center, picking up two law's on the way.

Quy ran for the team house, but as Wilkins and Schungel started to follow,
the second tank that had passed Lieutenant Todd approached from the west.
Schungel and Wilkins hurried back to cover just as the tank fired at the
observation tower on the command bunker. The explosion caught Specialist
Moreland on the ladder as he was attempting to enter the tower and wounded
him. Sfc. Hugh E. Earley, who was already in the tower, suffered wounds in
the head and shoulders from shell fragments.

While both injured men (Moreland and Earley) climbed down from the tower and
into the bunker, Schungel rushed forward and tossed  two hand grenades under
the tank. Almost simultaneously a rocket from a LAW struck the tank in the
rear. The tank commander's cupola   hatch flipped open with  a metallic
clang, but only flames emerged. Possibly affected by the sight, the crew of
the other tank attempted to    leave their stalled  vehicle, although it was
still operable. As each crewman crawled out, Colonel Schungel killed him
with an M16.

Although the enemy appeared to be all but in possession of the camp, Lang
Vei's defenders had not given up. The tank attack had demolished both
entrances to the deeply dug command bunker. Inside were Captain Willoughby,
Lieutenant Longgrear, Sergeant Brooks, S. Sgt. Emanuel E. Phillips, Sergeant
Earley, Sergeant Fragos, Specialist Moreland, and Specialist Dooms, most of
them wounded. With them inside were the Vietnamese camp commander
(Willoughby's counterpart), the Vietnamese sergeant major, the Company 104
commander, an interpreter, a CIDG communications man, and twenty-five other
Civilian Irregular Defense Group soldiers.

After the explosions all was quiet except for the digging sounds, which were
coming steadily closer to the wall, and the talk between the CIDG troops and
their captors above. Fragos moved back to the door, this time with Longgrear
and Moreland. Up above they saw a North Vietnamese summarily shoot a CIDG
soldier who had been stripped to his shorts. The three men eased back into
the bunker as a voice called out in English from upstairs.
"We want to speak to your captain. Is he still there?"
Fragos replied defiantly, "Yes!"
"Have you got a weapon?"
"Do you have ammo?"
"I've got plenty for you!"

All three fired their Ml6's up the stairwell. In response the enemy tossed
down another barrage of grenades.

It was 0630, almost dawn. As Willoughby lay there on the cold concrete
floor, trying not to think of his thirst, he noticed that the digging sounds
had ceased. On the other side of the north wall of the bunker he could hear
Vietnamese voices. Suddenly, with an ear-splitting roar, the wall
disappeared in a boiling cloud of dust and smoke, and chunks of concrete
flew about the bunker. When the smoke and dust cleared, there     was a
gaping hole in the wall, six feet wide and four feet high. Now the North
Vietnamese soldiers had direct access to the bunker.

The blast had knocked Fragos unconscious and seriously wounded Moreland in
the head. Dragging both men well back from the hole, Willoughby and the
others steeled themselves for the final enemy assault. Yet the North
Vietnamese did not seize the advantage and seemed satisfied instead to
continue tossing random hand grenades into the operations center.

The time was 0800.
Inside the operations center, the Americans waited. Before Ashley's attempt,
they could hear heavy enemy machine gun fire from just above them on each
air strike pass. The enemy would not give up his prize easily. Meanwhile,
Fragos busied himself with tending the wounded as best he could. His biggest
worry was Specialist Moreland, who was delirious from a dangerous head
wound. Willoughby worked at his radio, trying to re-establish communication
with Khe Sanh which he had just lost a few minutes before. A grenade sailed
through the hole in the wall, knocking him unconscious.

Now leaderless, the Americans decided to play dead in the hope that the
enemy would go away. Fragos, administering morphine to Moreland to calm him,
was overcome by nausea from the gas fumes, acrid smoke, and lack of water,
and started to vomit.  Specialist Dooms stopped his work on the radio to
quiet him as the waiting game with the enemy continued. The men spoke only
when necessary and then in brief whispers.

In the command bunker at the Lang Vei Camp, Captain Willoughby had regained
consciousness during Ashley's final assault. When the attack failed, he
called the survivors together. Occasional grenades were still being tossed
into the bunker, and the men could hear enemy  weapons firing above them. It
was getting late and they had been without food or water for almost eighteen
hours. Convinced that no help  was on the way, Willoughby told the men that
he would radio for all available air strikes and that afterward they would
make a break for it. Because Moreland was mortally wounded and the others in
their injured and exhausted condition would have had difficulty carrying
him, the decision was made by all to leave Moreland in the bunker.
Willoughby planned to return for him later.

Although the men did not know it, Lieutenant Todd was still in the Lang Vei
Camp. During the afternoon he too had realized it was now   or never, and
shortly after Willoughby's band had escaped he himself had left the
emergency medical hunker. lie drew automatic weapons  fire that came Horn
behind him as he went first to the operations center, hoping to find some
Americans still alive. Instead, he found  Moreland inside, apparently dead,
half-buried in debris from a direct bomb hit on the operations center. As he
left the bunker he looked in   the direction of the old camp just in time to
see one of the rescue helicopters land there. Elated, the lieutenant,
despite his wound, ran to the  old camp.


Bracelets preserve memories of POWs, MIAs

Woman has for decades displayed name of Green Beret she never met
By Theresa Harrington, STAFF WRITER
WALNUT CREEK -  She's never met him, and it's likely that he's dead. Yet Kathy Strong feels a powerful bond with James Leslie Moreland. .....



Here is a recent story on Moreland.
There is an error in the story...  Story says Early was KIA -- not so.

Here is the article on James Leslie Moreland in the SGV Tribune.


To: <>
Subject: RE:
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 19:58:24 +0000

In a nutshell there were several different types of special action units
within the Special Forces of the 1960's i.e. SOG, Delta Project and Mobile
Strike Force or Mike Force. There were two separate and distinct SF
detachments at Lang Vei before and during the battle on 6 & 7 February 1968,
the resident detachment A-101 Co C, 5th SFG and 12th Co, A-113 Mobile Strike
Force 5th SFG.

If you are interested in learning what the Mike Force was or did you can
Google "The Mike Force Association" website. Basically we were an
airborne/airmobile Kamakasi force of indigenous troops commanded by American
and Australian Special Forces that was sent in before during or after the
shit hit the fan.

Of the 7 USSF and 161 Rhade tribesmen that made up A-113 MSF only 2 of the
Americans made it out alive. The rest were killed, captured or remain
missing. The Mike Force POW/MIA's at Lang Vei were SFC Harvey G Brande, SFC
Charles W Lindewald,  SSG Dennis L Thompson and Sp4 James W Moreland. Of
these only Moreland is listed as being part of A-113. Could you please make
the necessary corrections for us?

SFC Harvey G Brande
Platoon Ldr
12th Co, A-113 Mobile Strike Force 5th SFG

SFC Charles W Lindewald
Platoon Ldr
12th Co, A-113 Mobile Strike Force 5th SFG

SSG Dennis L Thompson
Platoon Ldr
12th Co, A-113 Mobile Strike Force 5th SFG

Sp4 James W Moreland
12th Co, A-113 Mobile Strike Force 5th SFG

Dennis Thompson


Walnut Creek woman learns remains of soldier whose name
she wears on a bracelet have been found

Updated: 02/13/2011 05:43:15 PM PST

.....Strong vowed to wear the bracelet until Moreland came home. And now, just days after the 43rd anniversary
of his disappearance on Feb. 7, 1968, Strong is preparing to remove her bracelet -- Moreland's remains have been found.

They will be flown to Alabama, where they will be buried May 14 alongside those of his mother and father in the family plot.
Strong plans to attend the services and to bury her bracelet with the remains......

From: "Bob Jacobs"
To: "'P.O.W. Network - Chuck and Mary Schantag'" <>
Subject: Les Moreland case 1040
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:48:25 -0800

I see you updated Leslie Moreland's status based on the article in the
Contra Costa Times.
Here's a run-down on the events...
Les Moreland's surviving family was notified on 17 January 2011 that his
remains had been recovered and identified.  On 08 February 2011, Army
casualty presented the formal identification briefing to his family.
He will be interred in the family plot in Montevallo Alabama 14 May 2011.
Most Lang Vei survivors will be present.  Colonel Paul Longgrear is an
ordained minister; and at the request of the family will speak at the

Kindest regards,

Bob Jacobs


Green Beret James Leslie Moreland's remains to be buried in Bibb County 43 years
after MIA in Vietnam

Published: Friday, February 18, 2011, 7:15 AM

By Mike Oliver, The Birmingham News
BRIERFIELD -- There's a spot marked in a small country graveyard near here for the long lost Green Beret.

Now, after 43 years of uncertainty, the grave in Ashby Cemetery can be filled. .....



After 43 years, MIA hero is 'coming home'
The Olympian
He would later be awarded a Silver Star for heroism he showed that night and be promoted to sergeant first class
while listed as MIA – missing in action. Now, his remains positively identified using DNA from five family members, the Green Beret medic ...


Family of MIA Vietnam soldier gets closure
Nisqually Valley News
... War/Missing in Action bracelet worn by a woman who received the bracelet with ... Brown and LeMoine began taking part in the National League of POW/MIA ...


Moreland memorial at American Village AL, 13 May 2011


Another link to story… some photos are the same.


It started as a simple promise made by a 12-year-old girl who got a POW/MIA bracelet for Christmas. Kathy Strong was a seventh-grader growing up in ...
Kathy Strong pulled the POW/MIA bracelet she’d worn for 38 years off her wrist, reached into the casket and pinned it to the left sleeve of the uniform
of the Green Beret whose name it bore: “Spec. 5 James Moreland 2-7-68.”...
"I received his bracelet, a POW MIA bracelet, in my Christmas stocking from Santa," she says, "and I put it on that day, and I promised to wear it until he ...

release because we were not sure the U.S. government had really agreed to the terms of our release,” he wrote on the website.

“On Christmas Day in 1972 I received a POW-MIA bracelet in my Christmas stocking of James Moreland,” Strong said. “I put it on that day
and ...

In 1972, when she was just 12 years old, she received a MIA-POW bracelet with the name James Moreland on it. Moreland was an Army Green Beret ...