Name: Lawrence Eugene Lilly
Rank/Branch: O2/US Army
Unit: Troop A, 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile)
Date of Birth: 17 February 1946 (Santa Monica CA)
Home City of Record: Los Angeles CA
Date of Loss: 17 March 1971
Country of Loss: Cambodia
Loss Coordinates: 121018N 1062204E (XU487457)
Status (in 1973): Killed/Body Not Recovered
Category: 2
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: AH1G
Refno: 1728

Source: Compiled from one or more of the following: raw data from U.S.
Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA families,
published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK in 2020.

Other Personnel in Incident: Capt. David P. Schweitzer (rescued); on UH1H:
Richard L. Bauman; Craig M. Dix; Bobby G. Harris (all missing); James H.
Hestand (released POW)


SYNOPSIS: On March 17, 1971, Capt. David P. Schweitzer, pilot and 1Lt.
Lawrence E. Lilly, co-pilot, comprised the crew of an AH1G helicopter
(serial #69-17935) conducting a visual reconnaissance mission. As the
aircraft was near a landing zone at grid coordinates XU488458, it was hit by
enemy fire of the F-21B Infantry Regiment, 5th Viet Cong Division and forced
to the ground. The LZ was deep inside Cambodia in the Snuol District of
Kracheh (Kratie) Province, near Seang Village.

Rescue efforts were successful in extracting Capt. Schweitzer, but due to
heavy enemy fire, they were forced to leave the area before Lilly could be
extracted. Lt. Lilly was last seen by U.S. personnel lying on his back wth
his shirt partially open and blood on his chest and neck. He was observed
being fired upon by Viet Cong forces.

In mid-April 1971, a report described two U.S. personnel onboard a
helicopter shot down in this region getting out of the helicopter and
climbing a tree, and firing upon enemy forces. One of the crewmen was shot
to death, and the other was captured by Viet Cong soldiers of the 6th
Company, 2nd Battalion, F21B Infantry Regiment. The report continued that
both crewmen were caucasian and had light complexions. The source described
the POW and said that he was later told that the dead airman had been
cremated by Cambodian villagers who had come to salvage parts from the
aircraft. Joint Casualty Resolution Center (JCRC) evaluated the report and
concluded that it could possibly relate either to Lilly's incident or
another the same day at the same location.

The other incident related to a UH1H helicopter flown by WO1 James H.
Hestand and carrying CW2 Richard L. Bauman; SP4 Craig M. Dix; and SP4 Bobby
G. Harris. The aircraft was shot down near Snuol. A medivac chopper lowered
a jungle penetrator to men seen on the ground through triple canopy jungle,
but was forced to leave the area due to enemy fire and low fuel.

Five ARVN were captured in the same operation and were told by Viet Cong
guards that three chopper crew members had just been captured. One was
killed in the crash, one was shot in the leg (ankle) trying to escape. The
wounded crewmember and two others were finally captured.

James Hestand was captured and was released in 1973. In his debriefing, he
reported that Craig Dix was the one who had been shot in the upper right
ankle. Hestand stated that Dix was ambulatory and evading capture at the
time of his own capture. Hestand also stated that, when last seen, CW2
Bauman was alive, in good condition, and was hiding with Dix. Hestand said
that he had seen the body of Harris, whom he believed to be dead because of
throat lacerations and a discoloration of his body. Harris had been thrown
from the aircraft. Hestand was separated from the others when he was
captured, and had no further information on Dix, Bauman or Harris. Defense
Department notes indicate that Harris was killed in the crash. Defense
Department notes indicate that some intelligence say that Bauman, Dix and
Harris are dead, yet other intelligence reports placed Dix in a Cambodian
hospital after having been captured, and according to Hestand, the two were
alive and well the last time he saw them.

An ARVN ground unit entered the battle area to try to rescue Lilly, but
found him dead. The unit came under heavy fire, and in the course of the
battle, the body was lost to the enemy. Lilly's remains were never

In 1988, the Cambodian government announced that it had the remains of a
number of American servicemen it wished to return to the United States. The
U.S. did not respond officially, however, because there are no diplomatic
ties between Cambodia and the U.S. Several U.S. Congressmen have attempted
to intervene and recover the remains on behalf of American family members,
but Cambodia wishes an official overture. Meanwhile, the bodies of Americans
remain in the hands of our former enemy.

Even more tragically, evidence mounts that many Americans are still alive in
Southeast Asia, still prisoners from a war many have long forgotten. It is a
matter of pride in the armed forces that one's comrades are never left
behind. One can imagine any of the men lost in Cambodia on March 17, 1971,
being willing to go on one more mission for the freedom of those heroes we
left behind.

Missing Vietnam Soldier's Sister Grateful for DoD Help

By Gerry J. Gilmore
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Sept. 14, 2004 - In Arlington National Cemetery there's a
gravesite marking U.S. Army 1st Lt. Lawrence E. Lilly's passage from this
world to the next.

However, the lieutenant's remains aren't buried there, explained Sue Harvey,
Lilly's sister. And therein lies the tale.

Harvey, 57, an Alexandria, Va., resident and Army employee, believes her
brother's remains are probably located somewhere in Cambodia, where he was
reported killed in action on March 17, 1971, during the Vietnam War.

Harvey said her brother was co-piloting a Cobra helicopter gunship
reportedly on a secret mission into Cambodia at the time of his death. Enemy
ground fire brought down the helicopter, she said, and her 25-year-old
brother and the pilot left the stricken machine.

What happened next in that Cambodian rice paddy, Harvey said, has haunted
her for almost 35 years.

Lilly and the pilot had exited, unharmed, on opposite sides of the downed
aircraft, she said, as enemy troops approached and began to direct intense
small-arms fire at the soldiers and at another U.S. helicopter that was
attempting to rescue the pair.

The pilot was able to use the Cobra to shield himself from enemy gunfire,
Harvey said, while her brother was caught out in the open and was reportedly
shot and wounded. The Cobra pilot, she noted, was rescued.

The following day another helicopter rescue team was dispatched to the area
where her brother was last seen, Harvey noted. Although some accounts
reported rescuers had "seen a body," presumably that of her brother, Harvey
said his remains were never found.

About six months later, she said the Army listed her brother as killed in

The U.S. government at that time wouldn't disclose that the military was
operating in Cambodia. Because of the sensitivities of her brother's
mission, Harvey said, few details were made available to her family. He was
listed as killed in action and that, she said, was basically that.

"It was a different time. We weren't even 'officially' in Cambodia," Harvey
pointed out, noting her family privately coped with Lawrence's death. The
only public account her family had of her brother's situation, she said,
"was a three-line newspaper clipping" from a local paper noting he was
missing in action.

However, during the late 1980s, Harvey was working for the Army when she --
by accident -- came upon more information about her brother. A thick Army
file listed more details about her brother's mission, she noted, as well as
subsequent operations undertaken to find him.

"I was stunned," Harvey recalled, noting that was when she'd realized "the
military had a real commitment to soldiers, even though they didn't make it

Later, Harvey came into contact with a DoD organization that specializes in
prisoner-of-war and missing-in-action issues, now known as the Defense
Prisoner of War/Missing Personnel Office.

DPMO personnel, she said, have over the years continued to make visits to
the Cambodian site where her brother was last seen in efforts to find his

"They are even going so far as to interview individuals from the Cambodian
village nearby to see if they can recall any of the events," Harvey noted.

The DPMO office, Harvey noted, continues to update her family about
"anything that is new that occurs on my brother's case."

Harvey, the daughter of a retired Air Force colonel and pilot who'd flown
missions during World War II, the Berlin Airlift, the Korean War and
Vietnam, said she is grateful that the U.S. government and the American
public haven't forgotten about her brother, "because they're interested in
the story you're telling them."

Harvey said her brother's name is inscribed onto the Vietnam Veterans
Memorial in Washington. Her family's pain caused by his loss, she noted,
"has really never gone away" after almost 35 years.

"It would help bring closure," she acknowledged, if someday her brother's
remains were found in Cambodia and returned to the family.

"It would be special to have a ceremony for him," she concluded.


Lilly's sister, Susan Lilly Harvey, then placed a POW bracelet bearing her brother's name inside the Capt. Rocky Versace Vietnam Memorial display ...




Return to Service Member Profiles

On March 17, 1971, an AH-1G Cobra (tail number 69-17035) with two crew members embarked on a visual reconnaissance mission over Kratie Province, Cambodia. The helicopter was hit by hostile ground fire and forced down. A search and rescue attempt was successful in extracting the pilot, but enemy fire forced the rescue helicopter to leave before the copilot could be recovered. Later efforts to locate the copilot were unsuccessful. 

First Lieutenant Lawrence Eugene Lilly, who joined the U.S. Army from California, served with A Troop, 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division. He was the copilot of the Cobra when it was forced down on March 17, 1971, and was the crew member that wasn't rescued following the incident. Further attempts to locate him have been unsuccessful. Today, First Lieutenant Lilly is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

Based on all information available, DPAA assessed the individual's case to be in the analytical category of Active Pursuit.

If you are a family member of this serviceman, DPAA can provide you with additional information and analysis of your case. Please contact your casualty office representative.

Service member profile discrepancy? Please help us ensure the accuracy of each profile by submitting documentation about a service member profile.