Name: Larry Gene Lewis
Rank/Branch: O2/US Navy Reserves
Unit: Fighter Squadron 21, USS RANGER (CVA 61)
Date of Birth: 22 September 1945
Home City of Record: Asheville NC
Date of Loss: 27 February 1971
Country of Loss: South Vietnam/Over Water
Loss Coordinates: 085130N 1083347E (BK320800)
Status (in 1973): Killed/Body Not Recovered
Category: 5
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: F4J
Refno: 1710
Other Personnel in Incident: (none missing)

Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 15 May 1990 from one or more of
the following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence
with POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W.


SYNOPSIS: The Phantom, used by Air Force, Marine and Navy air wings, served
a multitude of functions including fighter-bomber and interceptor, photo and
electronic surveillance. The two man aircraft was extremely fast (Mach 2),
and had a long range (900 - 2300 miles, depending on stores and mission
type). The F4 was also extremely maneuverable and handled well at low and
high altitudes. The F4 was selected for a number of state-of-the-art
electronics conversions, which improved radar intercept and computer bombing
capabilities enormously. Most pilots considered it one of the "hottest"
planes around.

LTJG Larry G. Lewis was an F4 pilot assigned to Fighter Squadron 21 onboard
the USS RANGER positioned on Yankee Station in the Gulf of Tonkin. (NOTE:
Although Air Force records indicate that the RANGER was stationed in the
Gulf of Tonkin [i.e. Yankee Station], Defense Department records list the
area of loss as South Vietnam/Over Water. No reason for this discrepancy can
be determined since the loss coordinates are unquestionably in the South
China Sea [i.e. Dixie Station].)

The USS RANGER was a seasoned combat veteran, having been deployed to
Vietnam for early Flaming Dart I operations. The carrier played a steady
role throughout American involvement in the war. The first fighter jets to
bomb Haiphong in Operation Rolling Thunder had come from her decks.

On February 27, 1971, Lewis was assigned a night mission with his Radar
Intercept Officer (RIO) LTJG Jim Carroll. They manned their F4J and taxied
into position for catapult launch. LTJG Lewis went to full power and
signalled that he was fully ready for the launch. The catapult launch was
initiated and as the aircraft traveled down the forward part of the flight
deck, one of the two afterburners in the aircraft appeared to go out and
Lewis was so advised on the radio by ship personnel.

The aircraft continued in flight about 100 feet and then started to descend.
As the aircraft continued to lose altitude, Lewis initiated the ejection
sequence approximately one mile in front of the ship. Crewmen from the
RANGER saw two distinct ejection seats fire. The RANGER's rescue helicopter
was on the scene within seconds, and LTJG Carroll was rescued almost
immediately. Despite an extensive search by helicopters, destroyers and
other aircraft that continued into the night and throughout the next day, no
trace of LTJG Lewis was found.

Larry G. Lewis was initially placed in a Missing casualty status which was
later changed to Reported Dead/Non Battle. During the period he was
maintained missing, he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant.

Lewis is listed among the missing because his remains were never found to
send home to the country he served. He died a tragically ironic death in the
midst of war. But, for his family, the case seems clear that he died on that
day. The fact that they have no body to bury with honor is not of great

For other who are missing, however, the evidence leads not to death, but to
survival. Since the war ended, nearly 10,000 reports received relating to
Americans still held captive in Indochina have convinced experts that
hundreds of men are still alive, waiting for their country to rescue them.
The notion that Americans are dying without hope in the hands of a long-ago
enemy belies the idea that we left Vietnam with honor. It also signals that
tens of thousands of lost lives were a frivolous waste of our best men.





Return to Service Member Profiles

On February 27, 1971, an F-4 Phantom II (bureau number 155884, call sign "Sundown 112") with two crew members launched from the USS Ranger (CVA 61) for a night radar intercept mission. During the launch, members of the deck crew noticed that the Phantom's starboard afterburner was not functioning. After the launch, the pilot was unable to make the Phantom climb above 100 feet. When the aircraft started to drop, the crew ejected. Witnesses saw two ejection seats fire, and the Ranger's helicopter was on the scene immediately; however, only one crew member was located and rescued. Although an extensive search involving additional helicopters and two destroyers continued into the next day, the pilot was not recovered.

Lieutenant Larry Gene Lewis, who joined the U.S. Navy from North Carolina, served with Fighter Squadron 21 embarked aboard the Ranger ). He was the pilot of the Phantom when it crashed, and his remains were not recovered. Today, Lieutenant Lewis is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. 

Based on all information available, DPAA assessed the individual's case to be in the analytical category of Non-recoverable.

If you are a family member of this serviceman, DPAA can provide you with additional information and analysis of your case. Please contact your casualty office representative.

Service member profile discrepancy? Please help us ensure the accuracy of each profile by submitting documentation about a service member profile.