Pre-capture photo

Name: Glen Oliver Lane
Rank/Branch: E7/US Army  Special Forces
Unit: Command & Control, MACV-SOG, 5th Special Forces Group
Date of Birth: 24 July 1931 (Diboll TX)
Home City of Record: Odessa TX
Date of Loss: 23 May 1968
Country of Loss: Laos
Loss Coordinates:161730N 1070600E (YD258028)
Status (in 1973): Missing In Action
Category: 4
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: ground
Refno: 1191

Source: Compiled from one or more of the following: raw data from U.S.
Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA families, published
sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK in 2017.

Other Personnel In Incident: Robert D. Owen (missing)


SYNOPSIS: Glen Lane was the patrol leader of a spike team under orders to
MACV-SOG in Vietnam. MACV-SOG, or Military Assistance Command Vietnam
Studies and Observation Group, was a joint service high command
unconventional warfare task force engaged in highly classified operations
throughout Southeast Asia. The 5th Special Forces channeled personnel into
MACV-SOG (though it was not a Special Forces group) through Special
Operations Augmentation (SOA), which provided their "cover" while under
secret orders to MACV-SOG. These teams performed deep penetration missions
of strategic reconnaissance and interdiction which were called, depending on
the time frame, "Shining Brass" or "Prairie Fire" missions.

On May 20, 1968, SFC Glen Lane and SSgt. Robert D. Owens were the only two
U.S. members of the 6-man spike team "Idaho" assigned to infiltrate a denied
area across the Lao border west of A Loui.

The team was inserted into the area by helicopter, and was heard from only
once thereafter by a Forward Air Controller (FAC) about 1024 hours the same
day. All further contact with the patrol was lost. The spike team "Oregon"
was inserted into the same landing zone, and after finding a trail, searched
about 50 meters from the area and noticed signs of a fire fight.

At that time, "Oregon" was attacked by an estimated company-sized enemy
force and was extracted after suffering one killed and seven wounded. There
was no further ground search for Owen or Lane. The 12 man team believed that
the two had been either captured or killed.

When American POWs were released in 1973, Lane and Owen were not among them.
Indeed, the agreements which ended the war in Southeast Asia did not include
provision for the men held prisoner in Laos. No treaty has been struck since
that time for them. Nearly 600 remain missing in Laos.

Since the end of the war, thousands of reports have been received that
indicate Americans were left behind in Southeast Asia and remain there.
Lane and Owen could be among them. It's time we brought our
men home.


SOG Runs Into Heavy Traffic on Uncle Ho's Highway
By:  John "Tilt" Stryker Meyer, One Zero of Spike Team Idaho
Target: E-8 (See Target
Command and Control: MACV-SOG, 5th SFGA.
Area of Operation: Laos.
Mission: Primary--Capture NVA Soldier.
Secondary--Wiretap NVA communications lines.
Alternate--Look for American POW.
Target Team: Spike (ST) Idaho.
Date: 8 November 1968.
Launch Site: Phu Bai, FOB #1.
Insertion Aircraft: Kingbee, Vietnamese-piloted H-34 helicopters.
Lead Ship: 10-U.S. team leader: John "Tilt" S. Meyers.
     11-U.S. assistant leader, John E. Shore;  01-VN team leader, Sau; and 02-team interpreter, Hiep.
Second Ship: 12-third American, Henry H. King, III; 03-pointman, Son;
08-tailgunner, Cau; and     09--M79 man, Tuan.
Third Ship: Backup.
Assets on Site: 2 A1E Skyraiders, 1 0-2 Covey, 2 UH-1B Huey gunships, and F-4
Phantoms on call.
Operation Command Center: MACVSOG, Phu Bai, FOB #1.
OUR patrol order was simple and straightforward, but it was a long way from
the whole story.  By early November 1968, Spike teams in Forward Operating
Base (FOB) #1 had taken a beating.  Teams from MACV-SOG running missions into
Laos found it harder to penetrate the Prairie Fire area of operation (AO).
Enemy trackers were getting better and Charlie kept installing more 37mm
antiaircraft guns, which were extremely effective against choppers.  In
addition, the NVA began putting spotters on LZ.  Because the number of good
LZ was limited, they'd booby-trap some of them.  Intelligence reports had
warned all teams about the deadly helicopter booby traps regular Army troops
had encountered on LZ in Vietnam.  These booby traps, initiated by thing trip
wires, triggered firing devices that included every thing from hand grenades
to 250-pound bombs hidden on the LZ.  Nonetheless, the brass in Saigon and
the S-3 (operations) boys at FOB #1 never relented in trying to get a team on
the ground in the Prairie Fire AO.  The reasons were simple: Intelligence
reports said the NVA had more than 40,000 people maintaining the Ho Chi Minh
Trail complex in Laos and Uncle Ho's troops were sending an every increasing
number of troops, along with supplies and weapons, down the network of hidden
trails. ......

ST Idaho:   Vietnam Recon Team Still MIA After 47 Years

Glen Oliver Lane and the fate of his small reconnaissance team still haunt me to this day. We never met.
Our paths crossed only momentarily 47 years ago.
On May 20, 1968, me and two two other young, green Green Berets entered year four of the 
top-secret war that was fought during the Vietnam War. It was fought for eight years under the
aegis of the Military Assistance Command Vietnam–Studies and Observations Group, or simply SOG....


 Born Jan. 19, 1946, John Stryker Meyer entered the Army Dec. 1, 1966,
completed basic training at Ft. Dix, N.J., advanced infantry training at Ft. Gordon, Ga., jump
school at Ft. Benning, Ga., and graduated from the Special Forces Qualification Course in
Dec. 1967. He arrived at FOB 1 Phu Bai in May 1968, where he joined Spike Team Idaho,
which transferred to Command & Control North, CCN in Da Nang, January 1969. In October 1969
he rejoined RT Idaho at CCN. That tour of duty ended suddenly in April 1970. Today he is a
program director at the Veterans Affordable Housing Program, based in Orange, CA and joined
the SOFREP team of correspondents in March 2015. He has written two non-fiction books on
SOG secret wars: Across The Fence: The Secret War in Vietnam - Expanded Edition, and
Co-Authored On The Ground: The Secret War in Vietnam with John E. Peters, a member of
RT Rhode Island. Meyer's website is:




Return to Service Member Profiles

On May 20, 1968, a six-man reconnaissance team was assigned to infiltrate an enemy-held area in the Salavan Province of Laos. The team was inserted by helicopter and heard from only once that day by a forward air controller flying overhead. Nothing further was heard from the team, and a reconnaissance and rescue team from the same unit was inserted into the same area two days later to investigate. The second team landed at the same landing zone as the first and proceeded only fifty meters before finding signs of a firefight. This squad was then attacked by a company-sized enemy force and forced to withdraw from the area without recovering any sign of the first team. No further search and rescue missions were initiated for the members of the first reconnaissance team. 

Sergeant First Class Glen Oliver Lane, who joined the U.S. Army from Texas, served with the Command and Control Detachment North, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne). He was a member of the initial six-man reconnaissance patrol, and his remains have not been recovered. Subsequent to the incident, and while carried in the status of missing in action (MIA), the U.S. Army promoted Sergeant First Class Lane to the rank of Master Sergeant (MSG). Today, Master Sergeant Lane is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. 

Based on all information available, DPAA assessed the individual's case to be in the analytical category of Active Pursuit.

If you are a family member of this serviceman, DPAA can provide you with additional information and analysis of your case. Please contact your casualty office representative.

Service member profile discrepancy? Please help us ensure the accuracy of each profile by submitting documentation about a service member profile.