Name: Jay Robert Jensen
                Nov 13, 2004
                You list a "Jay Robert Jensen".
                My father's correct name was: "Jay Roger Jensen".
                I have NO idea where you came up with "Robert"
                but I thought I should point out that it was
                "Roger", not "Robert." The rest of the info is
                Thanks for getting this changed!
                Starr Jensen, M.Ed.
                NETWORK NOTE: Military records indicate "Robert" on loss
                data notes.
Rank/Branch: United States Air Force/O3
Unit: VF 13
Date of Birth: 29 July 1931 Sandy UT
Home City of Record:
Date of Loss: 18 February 1967
Country of Loss: North Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 183400 North  1055200 East Ha Tinh 15 Miles SE Vinh
Status (in 1973): Returnee
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: F105F Wild Weasel
Other Personnel in Incident:
Refno: 0596
Source: Compiled by P.O.W. NETWORK from one or more of the following: raw
data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA
families, published sources, interviews.
SOURCE: WE CAME HOME  copyright 1977
Captain and Mrs. Frederic A Wyatt (USNR Ret), Barbara Powers Wyatt, Editor
P.O.W. Publications, 10250 Moorpark St., Toluca Lake, CA 91602
Text is reproduced as found in the original publication (including date and
spelling errors).
Major - United States Air Force
Shot Down: February 18, 1967
Released: February 18, 1973
I was born in Sandy, Utah on 29 July 1931 I attended schools there,
graduating from Jordan High School in 1949 I worked at a bank in Salt Lake
City for a few years and then went on active duty (Korean War) with the Utah
Air National Guard in 1951 as an Airman.  My first wife, Ruth, and I were
married in 1954 and had three children, Carrie, Ellen, who is 18 and married
(I have a lovely granddaughter  too), Shellie Ann, 16 and Jay Roger. While
I was  a prisoner, Ruth divorced me (in 1970) and remarried.
I attended Brigham Young University from 1952 through 1955 graduating with a
BS in Accounting. I worked for Ernst and Ernst, an accounting firm, for
about six months, before entering the Air Force for pilot training in May
1956. I received my Navigator wings at Harlingen, Texas in May 1958, and
then went to Electronic Warfare Officer School in Biloxi, Mississippi. Later
I went to Air Force Survival School and then to Yokota, Japan to fly in a
RB-66C for one year. From Japan I went to Hill AFB, Utah to fly in B-57's,
and spent almost four years in a very enjoyable assignment close to my home
(many TDYs, and attended Squadron Officer School). Our family became very
active in the Mormon Church. I was a scoutmaster for several years.
I then had a staff assignment at Hg. 31st Air Division, Oklahoma City,
Oklahoma, 1964-1966. I received orders for Southeast Asia and reported to
Nellis AFB, Nevada, to check out in the F-105 "Wild Weasel" program and
arrived at Korat AB, Thailand 18 January 1967. I was shot down on my 13th
mission on 18 February 1967. We were attacking a SAM site and a SAM missile
got us. Exactly six years later, to the day, I was released with Honor.
I was very hurt and disappointed that my wife divorced me while I was a
prisoner, but if that is what she wanted and needed, I am glad she was able
to do so while I was a prisoner and not waiting until I returned. I was glad
to receive the news while I was a prisoner so that I could adjust and make
future plans. I am going to Brigham Young University to obtain a Masters
Degree in Business through AFIT, and then teach AFROTC there. I have been
fulfilling as many speaking engagements as possible, and have been very
impressed with the wonderful reception we POWs have received, as well as the
hundreds of letters from bracelet holders and friends I have received and
have answered. It really proves to me how grateful and sincere the American
people are, and how wonderful America is. The greatest lesson I learned as a
POW - to appreciate the many freedoms, blessings, living standards and
opportunities we have in "America the Beautiful." The thing that helped me
most while I was a POW was my undying FAITH, faith and testimony in my God,
Country, Family, and the People of America. I have written a book about my
POW experiences entitled "Six Years in Hell" which should be published soon.
I am, and always will be, resolved that "On my honor, I will do my best to
do my duty to God, and my Country," my family and, yes, to all  mankind, for
that is the reason we served so proudly in Vietnam - to protect, and
preserve the freedom of South Vietnam - and will do so, in the future, for
any other freedom loving country that needs us and is willing to defend
their freedom.
Jay Jensen retired from the United States Air Force as a Lt. Colonel. He and
his wife Vienne lived in both Florida and Utah until his death. From May 20
until May 25, 1998 Jay and his wife joined 280 former POWs in Dallas, TX,
for the Silver Anniversary Reunion of their Homecoming. They flew to Hawaii
for a vacation directly from Dallas. He suffered a heart attack on the beach
and passed away May 29th. He was only 66 years old.
Thu Jun 04 1998
Salt Lake Tribune
                           JAY R. JENSEN
                      LT. COLONEL, USAF (RET)
Jay Roger Jensen returned Home with Honor, May 29, 1998 after a heart attack
while snorkeling with his wife in Hawaii.....