Remains returned. ID announced 10/02/2006

Name: James Larry Hull
Branch/Rank: United States Air Force/O2
Date of Birth: 28 December 1945
Home City of Record: LUBBOCK TX
Date of Loss: 19 February 1971
Country of Loss: LAOS
Loss Coordinates: 155759 North  1071557 East
Status (in 1973): Killed In Action/Body Not Recovered
Category: 4
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: O2A
Other Personnel in Incident:
Refno: 1707

Source: Compiled by P.O.W. NETWORK from one or more of the following: raw
data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA
families, published sources, interviews and CACCF = Combined Action
Combat Casualty File. Updated 2020.



No further information available at this time.


From: []
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 4:22 AM
Subject: Need Your Help


Would like to have your help at piecing together the whole story. If you can
recall being involved in these missions and can add any info, no matter how
small every piece will help tell the story of what happen. Especially
looking for what crew was on what chopper and what position they were in.


Dave Demsey

The Missing Men of RT Intruder

MACV-SOG, or Military Assistance Command Vietnam Studies and Observation
Group, was a joint service high command unconventional warfare task force
engaged in highly classified operations throughout Southeast Asia. The 5 th
Special Forces Group at Na Trang channeled personnel into MACV-SOG (though
it was not a Special Forces group) through Special Operations Augmentations
(SOA), which provided their "cover" while under secret orders to MACV-SOG.
These teams, from the three Command and Control locations, CCN, CCC and CCS,
performed deep penetration missions of strategic reconnaissance and
interdiction. They were called, depending on the time frame, "Shining Brass"
or "Prairie Fire" missions.

RT Intruder was one of the teams that performed these missions along the Ho
Chi Minh Trail. These missions were most often performed in Laos, well
beyond radio range and artillery support. In early 1971, three American
Special Forces troopers manned RT Intruder, from Command and Control North
(CCN) at Da Nang. The Team Leader, or One Zero, was CPT Ronald L.
(Doc)Watson. The second in command, or One One, was SGT Allen R. (Baby
Jesus) Lloyd and  SGT Raymond L. (Robby) Robinson, was the One Two.
Additionally, the team had ten Bru  Montagnard tribesmen assigned. The team
makeup changed, according to the needs of the mission, but most of the
missions were conducted with all three Americans and five of the Bru

On 8 February 1971, the South Vietnamese government announced Lam Son 719, a
large-scale offensive against enemy communications and supply lines in that
part of Laos adjacent to the two northern-most provinces of South Vietnam
along the Ho Chi Minh Trail. The mission was to interdict the flow of
supplies from North Vietnam. The South Vietnamese Army (ARVN) would provide
and command ground forces, while the US forces would provide airlift and
supporting fire. Phase I, named Operation Dewey Canyon II, involved an
armored attack by the US from Vandegrift Base Camp toward Khe Sanh, while
the ARVN moved into position for the attack across the Laotian border. Phase
II began with an ARVN helicopter assault and armored brigade thrust along
Route 9 into Laos. American helicopters transported ARVN ground troops,
while the US Air Force provided cover strikes around the landing zones.

Ten days later, on 18 February, two teams, RT Intruder and RT Python, were
inserted into opposite sides of the infamous A Shau Valley in support of Lam
Sam 719. RT Python would insert six or seven kilometers east of RT Intruder
on an abandon fire base. On the second day another team was to reinforce RT
Intruder at their location over looking the A Shau valley and bring in
additional ammunition and a couple of 60-MM mortars. Their mission was to
tie down NVA forces by calling in air strikes, gather intelligence and run
reconnaissance missions towards the valley. The A Shau Valley had never been
hotter. Captured documents revealed that the NVA had moved eleven
counter-recon companies there to reinforce LZ watchers, trackers, and dogs,
rear security units and infantry battalions. Additionally, they had two
anti-aircraft artillery (AAA) battalions defending the valley, with one
located at each end. The A Shau diversion was initially assigned to the
2000-man strong 1 st Brigade, 101 st Airborne Division. However, the specter
of heavy US losses forced the planners to reconsider using the airborne
brigade. The decision was then made to give the mission to MACV-SOG instead.

On that date, RT Intruder pulled their final mission together. The team was
being considered for a High Altitude Low Opening (HALO) mission. For this
reason, their performance was to be evaluated on this particular road
watch/interdiction mission in the A Shau Valley. SFC Sammy Hernandez and SFC
Charles Wesley (Wes) joined the team as "strap hangers". They would
determine if the team got the nod for the HALO training and subsequent
missions. Both of these men were already HALO qualified and needed team
members that they could trust for these difficult missions. Sammy and Wes
did not volunteer for this mission. A few days prior to the insert, Sammy
and Wes were in the Recon  Club having a drink or two. Sammy suggested that
they walk down to the TOC and see what was going on. When they entered the
S-2 section, they saw SGM Billy Waugh talking to Captain Watson and the AST.
SGM Waugh turned and asked, "What are you two doing?" Sammy, with a smile on
his face said, "Screwing off Sergeant Major." Billy replied, "Well, you two
get your rucksacks and weapons. I'm sending you where you can't screw off.
You two will be going with RT Intruder." As the two headed back to their
hooch to secure their weapons and rucks, Wes cursed Sammy and said, "See, I
told you we shouldn't go down to the TOC. I was in the A Shau Valley as a
Platoon Sergeant with the 101 st back in 1968. All the bad guys in the world
are in that valley."

The A Shau was probably the most NVA-infested area south of Hanoi! This
valley was not a place for amateurs, and a road interdiction mission was
doubly  hazardous. However, RT Intruder was judged to be ready. The mission
of road watch and interdiction required that they go in a little heavier
than usual, so the addition of two Americans was welcomed. The team was
inserted onto a small rocky clearing, west of the A Shau Valley and just
over the Laotian border (YC473783). The Covey pilot for this insert was
Captain Tom Yarborough flying an OV-10. This clearing did not offer much in
the way of concealment.  The enemy could spot the team from the ridge line
and objective (hill 1528) that they were heading towards, and they did just
that. RT Intruder waited for the choppers to leave and tried to attune their
ears to the jungle noises. Threading their way north-east through the lush
jungle growth, the team disappeared into the forest, just as they heard a
series of shots to their left and right front. This was the NVA's method of
signaling each other when they had a team spotted. Sammy was carrying an
M-60 machine gun and a CAR-15. Behind Sammy was Wes, and every time a signal
shot was fired by the NVA, Sammy would turn and give Wes a smile. Sammy was
on America's first combat HALO drop and had also run recon with Project
Delta. The M-60 that Sammy was carrying had the old style quick-change
barrel lock, and every so often it would unlock and the barrel would fall
out, making a nerve-racking noise. Sammy finally secured the quick-change
barrel lock with a string. Traveling east, they soon crossed the Vietnamese
border and arrived at the western-most ridge of the A Shau Valley.

The ridgeline was heavily canopied, and there, hidden by the overhanging
boughs, safe from aerial observation, was the trail! This wasn't just a
footpath. A large number of personnel could walk side by side on this
veritable  walkway! Also strung along side of the trail were 10 or 15
strands of communications wire. The team crossed the trail and set up
security.  They were not sure if they were on the correct hill to conduct
the road watch, so CPT Watson radioed Covey and asked him to make a low
level pass over the hill on which they were to set up. It turned out that
they were around 200 to 300 meters south (YC480784) of the hill where they
were supposed to set up. Not that it made much difference which hill they
were on; RT Intruder ran into trouble right after Covey made his
over-flight. Within minutes, the team made contact with a five-man NVA
element that was coming towards them on the trail, and quickly killed them.
Upon recommendation from Sammy and Wes, CPT Watson called for a STABO
extraction, since they were compromised almost from the start. It was
getting late and the clouds would roll in soon, making an extraction
impossible. Wes and Robby had retrieved the rucksacks from the dead NVA that
held several documents, a communist flag, medals and clothing. So it was
decided that Robby would go out on the first bird with Wes and two of the

It took about thirty to forty minutes for the helicopters to arrive on
station. The top of the ridgeline was now socked in with clouds and Watson
had to vector the helicopters by sound. The helicopter pilots that supported
SOG were among the best that Company A (The Comancheros), 101 st Aviation
Battalion, had to offer. It took nerves of steel to hover a helicopter at
tree top level in the clouds while moving forward a few feet at a time and
trying to locate a SOG team that had just made contact. Just knowing that at
any moment you were going to get shot out from under your rotor blades was
enough to rattle anyone's nerves. Lt. Larry Hull flying an O-2 replaced
Captain Yarborough for the extraction of the team.

The first of three helicopter piloted by WO Steve Diehl appeared out of the
clouds, hovered over the team and dropped an aluminum ladder out one door.
Robby, Wes and the two Bru snapped their rucksacks to the first rungs of the
ladder, and climbed up and snap-linked themselves to it. The Huey struggled
to lift them in the thin, mountain air, dragging the ladder through the
trees. The pilot was having trouble keeping the Huey straight. He had run
out of control pedal as the helicopter made a slow turn and twisted the
ladder in the trees. It may have crashed if the four had not jumped off the
ladder just seconds before the crew chief cut it from the chopper.

The team landed on top of the five NVA that they had just killed. Wesley's
rucksack was still snapped to the ladder as they ran back to the team's
perimeter. The next helicopter in line hovered over the team and dropped
four STABO ropes. Wes, Robby and the two Bru snapped their harnesses into
the STABO rope and gave thumbs up to the crew chief.  In seconds, they were
catapulted up through the trees. The pilot pulled pitch, pushed the cyclic
forward, and nosed the helicopter towards the valley and down the side of
the mountain in order to gain the needed air speed. The four were only a few
feet above the treetops as the pilot gained air speed and flew up through
the clouds. For the next twenty minutes they were in excruciating pain from
the leg straps. Robby had the extra weight of the NVA's rucksack and one of
the Bru had managed to stand on Wesley's shoulders while he adjusted the
straps between his own legs. Wes promptly shoved the Bru's feet off his
shoulders. Because the first bird had so much trouble, only three
Montagnards were extracted on the next lift. This left Watson, Lloyd and
Hernandez for the last helicopter.

When they arrived at the 101 st ABN DIV firebase, instead of lowering them
to the pad, the helicopter came in too low and slammed the team outside the
perimeter, and then dragged them a few feet through the concertina wire. An
engineer stake pierced Robby's leg. When the pilot realized what had
happened, he immediately pulled the chopper up and set them back down on the
pad. As the team was putting their STABO ropes into the helicopter, CWO
George Berg got out and put his arms around Wes and said he was sorry for
dragging them through the wire. He then said that he was going back to the
area to pick up the rest of the team. Wesley, Robby and the two Bru got on
the other two helicopter. On the  way to MLT-1, the pilot turned and told
Wesley that CWO Bergs helicopter crashed with Watson, Lloyd and Hernandez.
Wesley told the pilot to fly back to the ex-fill point and see if they could
locate the crash site with the help of Covey and rappel onto the site. By
this time it was already dark and the pilot was ordered back to MLT-1. The
helicopter that had the ladder cut by the crew chief evacuated Robby to the
at hospital Phu Bai.. .

After being released later that night from the hospital, Robby learned the
horrible truth. The last helicopter had crashed! Back in the launch site at
MLT-1, Wesley, the only American to make it out other than Robby, debriefed
the OIC and NCOIC on the mission up to the extraction. By this time, the
Covey rider, SFC Fernandez, had landed and came into the briefing room. He
stated that he saw the main rotor blade come off as the helicopter tried to
extract the rest of the team. The next morning, RT HABU, the on-call Bright
Light, team was flown up from Da Nang. The team leader was SSG Danzer. On
his team were SSG Cliff Newman, (also on the first combat HALO jump), SFC
Jimmy Horton, SGT Lemuel McGlothren, and SSG James Woodham as the Medic.
Cliff practically forced his way on this Bright Light team when he heard
that his friend Sammy was in trouble. They both were like that. Wes thought
he was going to return to Da Nang and was outside when SSG Danzer asked him
what had happened. Wes was briefing Danzer on the mission and showing the
infill LZ and the route to the extraction point on the map when SGM Waugh
walked up and said, "Wes, you'll go  back with RT HABU and lead them to the
hill." Wes said, "Right, Sergeant Major, I think I've just volunteered
again." Wes got another rucksack and put one of the six body bags, extra
water and ammo in it. They would go in light, as they were not going to RON.

The team now had six Americans and six Montagnards. They loaded on two
helicopters and headed west for the A Shau Valley and the Laotian border. As
they flew high above the valley, the team could see what was left of the old
A Shau Special Forces A camp and its airstrip. Turning to the southwest, the
Hueys started final approach as they crossed over into Laos. Wesley,
kneeling between the two pilots, pointed to the LZ. The lead helicopter
turned to the northwest and started its final approach, with two snakes
flying along side. The LZ was the same rocky area with very little growth.
Once off the helicopters, the team started moving in the direction of RT
Intruder's extraction point. The team had been moving about thirty minutes
when Covey, Captain Yarborough came up on the radio and asked Danzer to
count his people because someone was on the LZ popping an orange panel.
Danzer informed Covey that all his team was accounted for. The Covey then
made a low level pass over the LZ, and reported that the person looked like
an American, that he was sending in the chase bird. The team later learned
that it was Sammy. SGM Waugh was in the chase helicopter and came in over
Sammy and threw him a STABO rope. Sammy looked up at Waugh in the door of
the Huey and showed Waugh his middle finger. SGM Waugh understood what Sammy
meant by that hand signal and had the  pilot land. Sammy later said he was
not riding another STABO rig after the last one.

The Bright Light team made it to the top of the hill and the trail without
incident. Once there, they discovered a STABO rope that was frayed on the
broken end, like it had been stretched before it broke. Wesley found what
was  left of his rucksack. It had been cut up and everything was missing.
This included ten toe popper M-14 mines, three or four claymores, hand
grenades, extra ammo and rations. A good piece of intelligence for the NVA
was left on the ground next to Wesley's rucksack. It was an envelope from
Sears with Wesley's name and unit on it. Wesley had received the letter just
prior to inserting on the first day and without thinking, stuck the letter
in the side pouch of his ruck. He had left the ruck snap-linked to the
ladder when he jumped off. Sammy later said he had secured Wesley's rucksack
to his own STABO rig. Sammy was then carrying an M-60 MG, CAR-15 and two
rucksacks. The extra weight may have saved Sammy's life by causing the rope
to break. Sammy said that when the rope broke that he was knocked
unconscious when he crashed back to the ground. When he regained
consciousness, he heard voices and could see flashlights not far from where
he lay. Sammy crawled over the side of the hill as the NVA passed by him. He
remained hidden until daylight and made his way back to the insert LZ.

SFC Jose Fernandez was flying right seat in an O-2A Skymaster as Covey
rider. This was his second Covey mission. He had run recon for many years
and he had had enough. Fernandez informed Danzer that he had the crash site
spotted. It was only a short distance over the side of the hill in the
direction of the A Shau Valley and he would direct the team to it. It was
real hairy on the trail and everyone wanted off as quickly as possible. The
team started moving in the direction that Covey had gave them. The thick
undergrowth hampered their movement, and they had to snake their way through
the wait-a-minute vines and deadfall. Wes used his signal mirror to let
Covey know their location. The team made a couple of course corrections and
found the crash site. Covey had already called for a CH-53 from NKP,
Thailand, to extract the bodies and team. Then the  unexpected happened.
Covey was orbiting above the team and gathering information about the crash
from Danzer. On his last pass over the team, the pilot was in a sharp left
hand bank. The team could see the top of the wings. Seconds passed and then
the team heard a crashing sound; the noise of the O-2A Skymaster's engines
stopped. You would have had to been there to understand the feelings of the
six Americans. The team continued putting the bodies of the helicopter crew
into body bags. Both pilots were still strapped in their seats. One door
gunner, SPC Gary Johnson, was hanging from a tree. Wes and Cliff lowered him
down out of the tree. Meanwhile, McGlothren and Horton put the two pilots,
CWO George Berg and WO Gerald Woods, in body bags.  A single leg was  also
found, but not the rest of the body. It was assumed the body was that of SPC
Walter Demsey, and that he was under the helicopter, which had caught fire
when it crashed. The engine and transmission had completely melted and had
started to flow like lava. The only recognizable part of the helicopter was
the tail section and rotor mask, without its rotor blade.

Then another setback came; when a replacement Covey arrived on station, it
informed Danzer that the CH-53 that was enroute to extract the team would be
diverted to the crashed O-2A. The Air Force had declared a SAR emergency
because it was their aircraft that went down. They would extract the team
that had already rappelled onto the crash site.

CPT Fred "Lightning" (and that's another story) Wunderlich tells about his
rescue mission this way: "We would rappel onto the crashed O-2A from a Huey
and look for survivors. I picked only three men; my One One, SSG Kloecki,
and  two Montagnards from my team, and my team only. One enduring memory is
giving the old 1-2-3 count down to rappel in on the wreck, and then only I
went down until I started yelling at the rest to join the party." It turned
out the pilot, 1LT James (Woodstock) Hull, and SFC Jose Fernandez, were
dead. Ironically, just before leaving on this mission, Horton had given
Fernandez his ten baht gold chain and Buddha for safe keeping until he
returned. Lightning and Kloecki  found the gold chain and Buddha lying in
Fernandez's lap. "We were able to pull Fernandez from the wreckage, put him
in a body bag, strap him to the jungle penetrator and hoist him up. The
pilot could not be recovered because the engine was up against his chest. As
the CH-53 hovered over  us, one of my commandos started firing from the
perimeter around the wreck site, we could not see the bad guys. A Parajumper
from the CH-53 came down to look at the wreckage, as it was a SAR mission.
It was found out many years later that he was not an Air Force Parajumper,
but actually a SOG Recon man." By the name of ?

At this point, it was late and the weather was closing in fast. The Bright
Light team knew they would not be extracted, so they placed the body bags on
top of the burnt-out helicopter.

Danzer decided to look for a RON site and moved the team away from the
crash. A short distance away, the team spotted two STABO ropes and followed
them to a cliff. At the bottom of the twenty to thirty foot cliff lay CPT
Watson and SGT Lloyd. They did not appear to be alive and Danzer decided to
retrieve them the next morning. It was almost dark and the team followed the
cliff for another twenty five to thirty meters and set up a perimeter with
their backs to the cliff. Danzer, with the radio, was at the edge of the
cliff, sending a spot report to Covey. McGlothren, Horton and Wesley were in
the center. Newman and Woodham were up the hill about twenty meters with the
Bru, putting out claymores and setting up the perimeter. Wesley and
McGlothren pulled the body bags from their rucksacks and spread them on the
ground. Wesley told Mc that he was going to use his for a sleeping bag
because it was getting chilly. Mc said hell would freeze over before he
would crawl in a body bag. The team had established an E&E route over the
cliff in the event they were hit by the NVA during the night. The night was
uneventful, so they thought. During the night, unknown to the team, the NVA
did sneak in close.

At first light, Danzer was on the radio giving a spot repot to the Covey
that  was orbiting in the area. Across the valley, on an old, abandoned
firebase was RT Python with Captain Jim Butler, SSG Les Chapman and SFC
Brazer. They were inserted the same day as RT Intruder and had been
surrounded by two hundred NVA from the first day and had been in constant
contact. Stinger and Specter aircraft were used extensively during their
three-day, two night ordeal. A CH-53 was on its way from NKP, Thailand,
along with a flight of A1E-Skyradiers, to extract RT Python. Horton asked
Wesley for a cigarette and Wes said, "As soon as we light one, we will get
hit." Newman heard movement to his front and signaled Horton, then set off
his claymore  and emptied a magazine at the approaching NVA. At that moment,
hand grenades rained down on the team and every claymore on the team's
perimeter went off. A grenade landed between Mc and Horton and exploded with
a bright yellow flash. Horton jumped up; his foot was nearly blown off and
was left just dangling. The grenades continued to be thrown onto the team.
Newman ran past Horton, grabbed him with one hand and pulled him over the
cliff. Woodham and the rest of the Bru followed close behind. Wes followed
Mc over. Danzer jumped off the cliff from where he had been standing while
talking to Covey. Danzer tried to pull his rucksack and radio with him. All
he ended up with at the base of the cliff was the handset. Horton was
dragged by Mc and Woodham a short distance from the cliff.

Most of the Bru had moved over the second cliff, which were only five or six
feet high. In between the two was an outcropping of large rocks, which
provided some cover from the AK fire and grenades. Wesley saw movement from
over the  small cliff and thought the NVA had moved around behind them. He
was ready to fire them up when he saw the faces of the team's Bru. He
signaled for them to come up. They managed to climb back up and take up
positions in the rocks. The NVA were still throwing grenades over the cliff,
but not as many. Newman saw Danzer staring at his handset with nothing
attached. That's when Cliff thought it prudent to call for some help. He got
on his URC-10 survival radio and made contact with Covey, explaining the
grave situation to him. Covey had already launched a set of slicks and
Cobras to the area. In the mean time, CPT Butler, who had been monitoring
everything over his radio, told Covey to send his extraction CH-53 to RT
Habu and get them out first because his situation had calmed down some. Now
the team was getting movement from the left and right, as well as from the
top of the cliff. The team was now firing in these three directions with
everything they had. Covey told Newman that the CH-53 was still about thirty
to forty-five minutes out because they had to fly around the AAA sites, but
the A1E's would be there shortly. Mc was laying on top of Horton trying to
protect him from the grenades while Woodham worked on his ankle and foot.

A Huey showed up and while standing in the open, Newman directed him over to
the team. They dropped a STABO to take Horton out, but when it went over the
second cliff, Wes sent one of the Bru down to retrieve it so Horton could be
snapped to it and extracted. Instead, the Bru snapped himself into the rig.
At that same moment an RPG-7 was fired at the helicopter from the ridgeline
and exploded, sending hot shrapnel into the helicopter, wounding WO Scott
Optenberg, the pilot and the right door gunner. The pilot pulled away and
took a surprised Bru with him. Wes was at the edge of the cliff waiting for
the rope to be handed to him when the Bru went flying by, eyes as big as
silver dollars. The helicopter took fifty hits and still flew.

Newman was still standing in the middle of the small clearing talking to
Covey, who was in an OV-10, directing him to make gun runs on the ridge line
from where the RPG fire came from. After a couple of gun runs on the ridge,
Covey informed Newman that the A1E's were on station and that he needed
smoke to mark  the team's location. Newman threw a smoke, but instead of
going straight up it followed the ground up and over the cliff. Covey could
not get a positive mark on the team's location. So, he tried to talk the
A1E's in on a gun run. The first A1E came in hot and low, releasing a string
of CBU's the size of baseballs, in one side of the team's perimeter and out
the other. Mc was wounded in the back along with some of the Bru. Wesley was
knocked down by the concussion but got to his feet and pulled the pin on a
smoke grenade, balanced it on the butt of his CAR-15, and held the weapon
above his head by the barrel. The smoke went up through the trees. Covey and
the A1E's now had a good fix on their position. During most of this ordeal,
Newman was standing in the open talking to Covey and continued to do so,
directing the air strikes and gun runs.

Two F4-C's showed up and dropped 500 pounds bombs on the east side of the
team's position towards the valley. Covey informed Newman that the CH-53 was
on final to their position, and to get Horton on the jungle penetrator
first. The A1E's continued to make CBU and gun runs "danger close" around
the CH-53 while the team was being extracted. In the CH-53, Mc was attending
to Horton's grenade wound. Out the left window, the mini-gun gunner was
spraying the top of the ridge where most of the enemy fire was coming from.
Two of the Bru were at the rear of the helicopter firing M-79 CS grenades
and an M-60 machine gun off the ramp. The CS was being whipped up by the
rotor wash, so the pilots were wearing their oxygen masks.

Newman kept Woodham and Danzer until the last ride up. As they cleared the
trees the winch released because of the weight and they fell back to the
ground. Newman unhooked from the jungle penetrator and stayed on the ground
by himself. Even when he was finally hoisted up, Newman continued to fire
his weapon. On the way back to the hospital at Da Nang Air Base, the pilot,
a full Colonel, asked Wesley where their NVA prisoner was. Wesley,
understanding the situation said, "We had to kill him." Wes reached in his
shirt pocket and pulled out the two NVA medals that he got off the dead NVA
two days before and gave them to the Colonel. Wes told the Colonel that they
belonged to the POW. A big smile came over the Colonel's face. Fourteen A1E
Skyraiders made victory rolls past the Jolly Green CH-53 before heading back
to Thailand.

The pilot must have called ahead to the hospital and told them he was
bringing a seriously wounded Special Forces team member in and that they may
look a little different from the average Army troops, and that they would
have Montagnard tribesmen with them. As they landed at the hospital, a lot
of AP's encircled the helipad. It looked like every doctor and nurse was
also outside watching the big CH-53 land. It wasn't everyday that a
helicopter of that size landed on that small pad.

As the rear ramp was lowered, hundreds of expended shell casings from the
M-79 grenade launcher and M-60 machine gun fell onto the helipad. Some of
the  hospital personnel were collecting the expended shell casings as the
American team members helped carry Jimmy Horton into the emergency room. The
Montagnards followed and one of the ER personnel told McGlothren that he
couldn't bring the Montagnards in. McGlothren told the nurse "If I was you,
I would not try to stop them from coming in." Newman informed the staff that
they were not to ask Jimmy Horton any questions about where he had been and
what he had been doing.  The team loaded back onto the CH-53 and one of the
nurses was overheard saying, "Who are those guys?" Mc and the others would
have their wounds treated at the  CCN dispensary.

The team was flown back to the CCN compound for debriefing, where they found
out that RT Python, commanded by CPT Jim Butler, was to be extracted by the
same CH-53 that extracted RT Habu. Butler had told Covey to divert the CH-53
over to RT Habu and extract them first. Remember, RT Python was surrounded
by  hundreds of NVA and had been in continuous contact from the first day.
CPT Jim Butler stayed awake for three days by taking green Hornets.  SSG Les
Chapman, the One-One of RT Python, had engaged an NVA with hand-to-hand
combat while trying to save one of his Montagnards, who had been wounded and
fell down the side of the hill into a ravine. The Montagnard  died in that
ravine. Chapman received the DSC for his actions, although not until years
later. The next day, RT Habu learned that the CH-53 had taken 17 hits in the
tail section.

SSG Les Chapman started flying as a Covey Rider after his mission with RT
Python. He stated that after a week, the jungle reclaimed the crash site. As
it could no longer be seen from the air.

A final quote that was written to Dave Demsey by Fred Wunderlich: "I want to
express my earnest thanks to the likes of your brother and his comrades. The
selfless and extraordinary brave men of the air assets who supported Special
Operations. Every single SOG hand has a special place in their tearful heart
for the sacrifice made by such hero's as a group lost so many in the rescue
of  so few. Even with the SOG image of rough and tough warriors, we know we
were still standing on the shoulders of real men. I gladly take my part of
the obligation to  pay homage to the largely unsung groups who quite
literally saved the likes of me and so many others. The few of us from SOG
remaining today would certainly be a much smaller number without them.
Perhaps such sentiments can give some closure where the actual physical word
may cloak its mysteries in time as events and evidence are dust to dust"

The Continuation of


On 9 March 2002 Cliff Newman, Charles Wesley and Lemuel McGlothren will
return to Vietnam on invite from JTF-FA (Joint Task Force-Full Accounting).
Their mission is to lead or show JTF-FA team members the crash site of the
Bell UH-1H Iroquois. This return to Vietnam has been in the planning stages
for a number of years. It is due in part to the efforts of Dave Demsey, the
brother of Walter Demsey. Also traveling with the team will be Tanya S.
Biank, the Staff Writer for the Fayetteville Observer. (To be continued)

The Lost Men of RT Intruder was written in part by the men who were actually
there. Charles Wesley, Cliff Newman, Lemuel McGlothren, Sammy Hernandez, and
Fred C. Wunderlich. With Comments from Les Chapman, Jim Butler, Billy Waugh,
and permission from Robby Robinson to use part of his Web Site writing at: . Other information came
from the after action reports (AAR). And last but not least, the Pilot's.
Tom Yarborough, Bob Clewell, Scott Optenberg, Steve Diehl. THE END

National League of Families
POW/MIA UPDATE:  October 2, 2006

unaccounted for from the Vietnam War in 1975 is now 1,798 - 1,375 in
Vietnam, 362 in Laos, 54 in Cambodia and 7 in PRC territorial waters.  The
names of three US personnel have recently been released:   Now accounted for
are 1Lt James L. Hull, USAF, of TX, 1LT Glenn McCubbin, USAF, of KS, and PFC
James E. Widener, USA, of NY.  A total of 785 US personnel have been
accounted for since the end of the Vietnam War in 1975.  Over 90% of the
1,798 still missing, including 90+ US personnel last known alive (LKA), were
lost in Vietnam or in areas of Laos and Cambodia under Vietnamese wartime


Remains of airman missing since 1971 to be returned
Associated Press

LUBBOCK, Texas - The remains of an airman killed during a mission near the
Laos-Vietnam border some 36 years ago will be returned to his family, the
military announced Thursday.

U.S. Air Force 1st Lt. James L. Hull, of Lubbock, and another crew member
were flying an O-2A Skymaster when they crashed on Feb. 19, 1971.....


'Now we can bury Larry with honour at last'
Nick Meo, Laos

Larry Hull's aircraft was lost in 1971

Thirty-five years after she was widowed at the age of 19, Tyra Manning
received the remains of her aviator husband last month.
Lieutenant Larry Hull's Skymaster aircraft was lost in Laos in 1971 during a
reconnaissance mission scouting for jungle landing sites for Special Forces
teams. His remains were found by JPAC.....




Return to Service Member Profiles

On September 14, 2006, the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC, now DPAA) identified the remains of First Lieutenant James Larry Hull, missing from the Vietnam War.

First Lieutenant Hull entered the U.S. Air Force from Texas and was a member of the 20th Tactical Air Support Squadron. On February 19, 1971, he piloted an O-2A Skymaster (tail number unknown) carrying one other crew member on a mission near the Laos/Vietnam border. The aircraft crashed during the mission, killing 1st Lt Hull and the other crew member. Between 1993 and 1997, JPAC led joint investigations that included Laotian and Vietnamese teams. During the first investigation, the team interviewed a Vietnamese citizen who produced human remains and an identification tag for 1st Lt Hull recovered from the crash site in Laos. In May 2006, a joint U.S./Laotian team excavated the site, recovering additional evidence and human remains. Modern forensic techniques were able to identify 1st Lt Hull among these remains.

First Lieutenant Hull is memorialized in the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

If you are a family member of this serviceman, you may contact your casualty office representative to learn more about your service member.