Name: Robert Markham Hudson
Rank/Branch: O2/US Air Force, co-pilot
Unit: 307th Bomb Wing
Date of Birth:
Home City of Record: Shawnee Mission KS
Date of Loss: 26 December 1972
Country of Loss: North Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 210200N 1055000E (WJ918166)
Status (in 1973): Released POW
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: B52D

Other Personnel in Incident: James R. Cook; Michael H. LaBeau; Duane P.
Vavroch (all released POWs); Robert J. Morris Jr.; Nutter J. Wimbrow III
(both remains returned)

Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 15 June 1990 from one or more of
the following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence
with POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W.


SYNOPSIS: Frustrated by problems in negotiating a peace settlement, and
pressured by a Congress and public wanting an immediate end to American
involvement in Vietnam, President Nixon ordered the most concentrated air
offensive of the war - known as Linebacker II - in December 1972. During the
offensive, sometimes called the "Christmas bombings", 40,000 tons of bombs
were dropped, primarily over the area between Hanoi and Haiphong. White
House Press Secretary Ronald Ziegler said that the bombing would end only
when all U.S. POWs were released and an internationally recognized
cease-fire was in force.

The Christmas Bombings, despite press accounts to the contrary, were of the
most precise the world had seen. Pilots involved in the immense series of
strikes generally agree that the strikes against anti-aircraft and strategic
targets was so successful that the U.S., had it desired, "could have taken
the entire country of Vietnam by inserting an average Boy Scout troop in
Hanoi and marching them southward."

To achieve this precision bombing, the Pentagon deemed it necessary to stick
to a regular flight path. For many missions, the predictible B52 strikes
were anticipated and prepared for by the North Vietnamese. Later, however,
flight paths were altered and attrition all but eliminated any hostile
threat from the ground.

However, the bombings were not conducted without exceedingly high loss of
aircraft and personnel. During the month of December 1972, 62 crewmembers of
B52 aircraft were shot down and captured or went missing. Of these 62, 33
men were released in 1973. The others remained missing at the end of the
war. Over half of these survived to eject safely. What happened to them?

One B52D aircraft flown by Capt. Robert J. Morris, Jr. was shot down near
Hanoi on December 26, 1972. The crew onboard included Capt. Michael H.
LaBeau; Capt. Nutter J. Wimbrow III; 1LT Robert M. Hudson; 1LT Duane P.
Vavroch; and SGT James R. Cook. The pilot gave the bail-out order and the
crew of the aircraft parachuted to safety.

LaBeau, Vavroch, Hudson and Cook were captured by the North Vietnamese
almost immediately. Cook had been badly injured. These four spent the next
six weeks as "guests" in the Hanoi prison system. Ultimately, they were
released in Operation Homecoming on February 12, 1973 -- four very lucky

Hanoi denied any knowledge of the pilot, Robert J. Morris or his crew
member, Nutter J. Wimbrow III. Then, in late September 1977, the Vietnamese
"discovered" the remains of Morris and Wimbrow and returned them to U.S.
control. For four years, the Vietnamese denied knowledge of the fate of
Morris and Wimbrow, even though the U.S. believed there was a good
possibility the two were captured.

Disturbing testimony was given to Congress in 1980 that the Vietnamese
"stockpiled" the remains of Americans to return at politically advantageous
times. Were Morris and Wimbrow waiting in a casket for just such a moment?

Even more disturbing are the nearly 10,000 reports received by the U.S.
relating to Americans missing in Southeast Asia. Many authorities who have
examined this information (largely classified), have reluctantly come to the
conclusion that many Americans are still alive in Southeast Asia. Were
Morris and Wimbrow among these?

Perhaps the most compelling questions when remains are returned are, "Is it
really who they say it is?", and "How -- and when -- did he die?" As long as
reports continue to be received which indicate Americans are still alive in
Indochina, we can only regard the return of remains as a politically
expedient way to show "progress" on accounting for American POW/MIAs. As
long as reports continue to be received, we must wonder how many are alive.

As long as even one American remains alive, held against his will, we must
do everything possible to bring him home -- alive.

SOURCE: WE CAME HOME  copyright 1977
Captain and Mrs. Frederic A Wyatt (USNR Ret), Barbara Powers Wyatt, Editor
P.O.W. Publications, 10250 Moorpark St., Toluca Lake, CA 91602
Text is reproduced as found in the original publication (including date and
spelling errors).
UPDATE - 09/95 by the P.O.W. NETWORK, Skidmore, MO

Captain - - United  States  Air Force
Shot  Down: December 26, l972
Released: March 29, 1973
We have just returned from Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, near Dayton,
Ohio, and were present at Bob's arrival, 2:50  p.m. 1st of April 1973, from
his  last address in Hanoi, North  Vietnam.

Our family  thanks you so much for your prayers, hopes and concern, for
which we will be eternally  grateful. We now relate the  story as best we
can now about  about his experience.

Bob was lost in air  combat over North Vietnam on the  26th of December,
1972, (Christmas  Day our time)  as the  result of several "SAM" missiles
striking their B-52 aircraft  shortly after  their bomb drop. He was the
co-pilot with  five other crew members and they lost the aircraft at 9:43
p.m. (Viet time) which forced a hasty ejection into unfriendly territory.

We were notifed the  following day of his status  as an MIA or "Missing In
Action" military  casualty. The United States Air Force gave us, at that
time,  the procedure to be followed and they never deviated from these
procedures. The military confirmed the fact he was "captured" or Prisoner of
War on the 29th of December 1972. This information was received January 4,

On the first of January 1973 we saw television and motion pictures of him in
a news press release by the Hungarian  news agency. He appeared before
cameras and a microphone, and Marj and I both identified him as our son Bob.
He appeared uninjured, and still ready to do business.  He was in three
different camps in the Hanoi area during that time.

Since we have now visited with him we find he has some injuries and four of
the six crew members are back in the United States. He "left" 52 pounds
"over there" and the rest of his problems will be corrected. Incidentally,
you can see his picture while in prison on Page 19 of Time Magazine - April
9th issue.

His attitude is fantastic and the attitude of all the  fellows  returning
would make you so proud of our military personnel. The recognition from  all
(including a personal letter from President Nixon) and the reception, just
amazes these men.

They had no idea how much this country cared.
His attitude is so fine and he is more dedicated than ever to making the Air
Force his career.

The reception and attention Bob and all the family  received at
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base certainly reconfirms our faith in the good
old U.S.A. You can truly be proud of our way when things count.

Again, thanks so much for your help during a difficult time.  As the  folks
down South say ... "It's now down hill and shady".
Marj. and Paul, parents of Robert M. Hudson

Robert Hudson is still active in the United States Air Force. He and his
wife Linda are stationed overseas.

Jun 01 1997
From:  Hudson Robert Col

           RE: POWs shot on the way to the Hanoi Hilton Date

You can add another incident, I was shot in the left shoulder by a
small caliber weapon while still in the chute.  At the time, I was in
such pain from other injuries that I didn't really notice it until
later and of course had it confirmed during x-rays at Clarke. I am
still carrying the bullet, but it has started to migrate towards the
surface in the last few years.  A couple of years ago I seperated my
collar bone while rock climbing and while I was in the emergency room,
the staff got into a big argument about the "object" they saw on the
x-rays.  Rather than ask me about it they just left me lying on the
cold table. Being shot while coming down in the chute was a real
insult, like where was I going, they were waiting on me. 
Additionally, after capture, while awaiting my "ride" to Hanoi, I was
standing along side a dike with five or six "bad guys" (BG) when the
head BG offered me a cigarette. Well, I had quit smoking before I went
to VN and declined the smoke.  The next thing I knew, four of the BDs
chambered rounds into their weapons and squeezed off a volley.  No
bullets hit me, so I can only guess this was to scare worked. 
I grabbed the cigarettes and started to smoke, I figured that they
weren't going to kill me until I had my last cigarette, like it the
movies, and I intended to smoke until they got tired of waiting.  Aw
what a war, me standing around in my underwear, on the 27th of
December, about two in the morning, bleeding from all different parts
of my body having a smoke with my new "buds". You can't buy memories
like that. GBU, Bob Hudson
Col. Hudson served with the 86th Airlift Wing at Ramstein AB, Germany as
Inspector General until his retirement on 28 April 1998.