Name: Patrick Kendal Harrold
Rank/Branch: O2/US Air Force
Date of Birth: 17 December 1944
Home City of Record: Leavenworth KS
Date of Loss: 05 December 1969
Country of Loss: Laos
Loss Coordinates: 193600N 1034800E (UG745675)
Status (in 1973): Missing in Action
Category: 2
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: F4E
Other Personnel in Incident: John C. Clark (missing)

Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 15 March 1990 with the assistance of
one or more of the following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources,
correspondence with POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews.


SYNOPSIS: In violation of the neutrality of Laos accorded at Geneva in a
14-nation protocol conference July 23, 1962, the North Vietnamese and supporting
communist insurgent group, the Pathet Lao, lost no time in building strategic
strongholds of defense in Northern Laos and establishing a steady flow of
manpower and material to their revolutionary forces in South Vietnam via the Ho
Chi Minh Trail on the eastern border of the Laotian panhandle.

As a result, the Royal Lao sought help from the U.S. In turn, U.S. involvement
in Laos was justified by an expected quick victory in Vietnam. Every initiative
had to be cleared through the U.S. Ambassador at Vientiane, so that the delicate
balance of "look-the-other-way-neutrality" engaged in by the nations involved
(including China) could be preserved. Before many years passed, however, it
became clear that the U.S. would have no "quick victory" in Vietnam, and the
secret war in Laos grew more difficult to contain.

Defense of non-communist activity in Laos generally fell into three categories:
1) U.S. Army and CIA's bolstering of the Meo (Hmong) army led by General Vang
Pao;  2) Strategic U.S. Air Force bombing initiatives on the Ho Chi Minh Trail
(Operations Commando Hunt, Steel Tiger, etc.);  3) U.S. Air Force bombing
initiatives in northern Laos (Operation Barrell Roll, etc.) both against
communist strongholds there, and in support of the Royal Lao and Gen. Vang Pao's

1Lt. Patrick K. Harrold and Capt. John C. Clark II were pilots assigned to an
F4E Phantom fighter jet dispatched on an operational mission over Laos on
February 5, 1969. Their mission would take them to the northeast edge of the
Plain of Jars in Xiangkhoang Province in Military Region II.

At a point about 10 miles northwest of the city of Nong Het, the Phantom was
shot down and both crew members declared Missing in Action. The Air Force told
the Harrold and Clark families that there was every reason to believe the enemy
knew the fate of both men; that perhaps they had been captured. It was too soon
to tell.

When the war finally ended for the U.S. in Southeast Asia, families of the
nearly 600 men lost in Laos were horrified to learn that no negotiations had
been struck that would free Americans held in Laos. The Pathet Lao had stated
publicly that they held "tens of tens" of American prisoners, but they wished to
be negotiated with. The U.S. was not willing to negotiate with the communist
faction, even at the cost of abandoning some of their best men.

Since the war ended, nearly 10,000 reports relating to Americans missing in
Southeast Asia have been received by the U.S. Government. Many authorities have
reluctantly concluded that there are hundreds of them who remain alive today,
held captive by a long-ago enemy.

Whether Clark and Harrold are among those thought to be still alive is not
known. What is clear, however, is that we owe these men our very best efforts to
bring them home. What must they be thinking of the country they proudly served?


                                                [sjnp1012.97 12/14/97]

St. Joseph (MO) News Press

Long waiting period ends for dead pilot's wife

MANHATTAN, Kan. - Linda Harrold will cry at her husband's burial next month,
but they will -be tears of relief as well as grief She has been waiting
nearly 28 years, after all, to bury the man she describes as "the love of my


                          "Your soul brushed mine
                          So briefly -  a butterfly kiss
                          I looked away for one moment
                          Feeling your warm breath
                          On my shoulder
                          And when I turned back
                          You were gone."

Capt, Patrick Harrold

Services for Capt.  Patrick Kendal Harrold, 24, who was killed during a
bombing mission over Laos Dec. 5, 1969, will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 1,
1997, at St. Andrew's Catholic Church, Abilene.  Fr. Mel Long and Fr. Louis
Mattas will officiate.

Burial will be in Mt. St.  Joseph Cemetery with full military honors by
McConnell Air Force Base personnel.

He was  born Dec. 7, 1944, in Willimantic, Conn., the son of Arthur Kendal
and Helen Kilburn (Grimley) Harrold.  His father was a career Army officer
and Patrick lived many places.  He graduated from Leavenworth High School,
Leavenworth in 1962 and attended Kansas State University, graduating with a
Bachelor of Science Degree in Zoology Jan. 28, 1967.  At KSU, he earned his
K-State letter as a member of the swim team.  He was also a ROTC cadet for
two years.

Capt.  Harrold received his commission in the Air Force Sept. 29, 1967, upon
completion of Officer Training School in San Antonio, Texas.  He attended
pilot training at Moody Air Force Base, Valdosta, Ga., and completed further
training at George Air Force Base, Victorville, Ga.

He was assigned to Korat Royal Thai AF Base, Korat, Thailand, in September
1969 with the 469th Tactical Fighter Squadron.

On Dec. 23, 1967,  he was married to Linda Jane Huston at St. Andrew's
Catholic Church, Abilene. Their son, Timothy Kendal Harrold, was bom Dec. 6,

Capt. Harrold received the following medals in recognition of his service to
his country posthumously: Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Force Commendation
Medal, National Defense Medal Vietnam Service Medal, and Small Arms Expert
Ribbon.  He also received a special Commemorative Medal, on July 4, 1985,
for American personnel still missing in Southeast Asia.  This medal was
presented to the Harrold family by Senator Bob Dole.  On February 28,1990,
he was honored by having the Patrick K. Harrold Youth Center at Fort
Leavenworth, Ks.dedicated to him in in recognition of his military service.

He was proceeded  in death by his parents, retired Col.  Kendal and Helen

Surviving are his wife, Linda of Manhattan; his son, Timothy of Wichita; his
sister, Carole Jean Harrold Noblitt of LaVeta, Colo; four nephews, an aunt;
and three great-nephews.

A family rosary will be recited at the Danner Funeral Home Friday evening at
7 p.m. The family will receive friends following at 7:30 p.m.

The family suggests memorial contributions in his memory be given to the
Kansas State University Air Force ROTC program.  They may be left at the
Danner Funeral Home or St. Andrew's Catholic Church.

Abilene Reflector-Chronicle
Lifestyles Editor

Awe and an overwhelming pride in family, state and community have been
primary emotions Linda Harrold has felt during this week when her husband,
Capt.  Patrick Harrold, will finally be buried in his adopted state.....

Abilene Reflector-Chronicle
Lifestyles Editor

Many individuals and groups from Patrick Kendal Hwold's adopted state and
hometown, Abilene, have played a part in planning the Saturday funeral and
graveside services...

Subject: Submission
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 02:54:04 +0000
From: William M. Killian


On December 5, 1969, MAJ John C. Clark II was the aircraft commander and CAPT Patrick K. Harrold
the pilot of a U.S. Air Force F-4E Phantom II aircraft (#67-0300) from the 469th Tactical Fighter Squadron
that departed Korat Air Base in Thailand at 9:00 PM, the lead aircraft in a flight of two F-4E’s on a night
strike mission over Laos. The flight arrived in the assigned area where it came under the control of a
forward air controller (FAC). It was a moonless night, and the weather was clear with visibility over ten
miles. The FAC briefed the flight and, at about 10:30 PM, MAJ Clark rolled in on his target with the
aircraft’s navigational lights on. Witnesses observed the aircraft enter a steeper than normal dive,
estimated at 45 degrees. The dive angle of the aircraft appeared to flatten out at the bottom, as though
a pullout had begun, at which time an explosion and subsequent large elongated fire erupted on the
ground. Immediate attempts were made to establish radio contact with Clark and Harrold but the results
were negative. Furthermore, a rocket blast from either ejection seat was not seen. Search and recovery
personnel were alerted, and search aircraft were dispatched to the area for approximately two hours.
At no time were any emergency radio signals heard. The following morning the search was continued
but the crash site, located in rough, mountainous terrain with high karst, approximately 14 nautical miles
east of Ban Ban, Laos, revealed no evidence of the missing officers. Due to negative results and hostile
activity, the search was terminated on December 6, 1969. A Joint Task Force-Full Accounting (JTF-FA)
excavation of the crash site resulted in the repatriation of on both crewmen on February 3, 1995. Clark
and Harrold were positively identified on October 3, 1997. [Taken from coffeltdatabase.org]


Submitted by William M. Killian