Name: Greg Omar Hanson
Rank/Branch: United States Air Force/O2
Date of Birth: 30 July 1947 Chicago IL
Home City of Record: Thousand Oaks CA
Date of Loss: 13 June 1972
Country of Loss: North Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 215600 North  1051600 East
Status (in 1973): Returnee
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: F4E #0365
Other Personnel in Incident: Rich Fulton, Returnee
Refno: 1876
Source: Compiled by P.O.W. NETWORK from one or more of the following: raw
data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA
families, published sources, interviews. Updated 2010.
SOURCE: WE CAME HOME  copyright 1977
Captain and Mrs. Frederic A Wyatt (USNR Ret), Barbara Powers Wyatt, Editor
P.O.W. Publications, 10250 Moorpark St., Toluca Lake, CA 91602
Text is reproduced as found in the original publication (including date and
spelling errors).
Captain - United States Air Force
Shot Down: June 13, 1972
Released: March 28, 1973
Gregg was the Aircraft Commander of a Phantom Jet (F4). The Phantom carries
two crew members. He left his base in Thailand early on the morning of June
13, 1972. Shortly after 9:00 AM he was hit by an air-to-air missile (fired
from a MIG). He was not injured on ejection, touched down near a small town
and was captured immediately. He and his GIB (Guy in Back) were officially
"Missing in Action" until August 24. At that time Hanoi released the names
of 10 pilots - Gregg  and his GIB were both listed. His status then changed
to "Prisoner of War." He was a POW for 9 1/2 months.
Gregg was born July 30, 1947, in Chicago, Illinois. He lived in Roselle,
Illinois through grade school and his first year of high school. He
graduated from Thousand Oaks High School in California in 1965. In sports he
excelled at wrestling and enjoyed golfing. He graduated from Arizona State
University in 1969 receiving a B.S. in Aeronautical Engineering. He is a
member of the Phi Sigma Kappa Fraternity.
He started flying when he was 15 and soloed soon after his 16th birthday.
Next came his private, commercial and instructor ratings. Most of the money
he earned during high school and college bought more flying time. While
attending A.S.U. he ferried planes cross-country and instructed flying -
including aerobatics at a field near Tempe. Upon graduation from A.S.U. he
had logged close to 1000 hours of flying time.
In October, 1969, Gregg enlisted in the Air Force and attended Officers
Training School at Lackland AFB, Texas. He was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant
in January, 1970. His assignment took him to Williams AFB, Arizona for
flight training. Upon completion of T-37 and T-38 training at Williams, his
next assignment took him to MacDill AFB, Florida for F4 Phantom training.
While at MacDiil he became a 1st Lieutenant F4 Phantom training was
completed in September, 1971, his possessions were stored at his home in
Thousand Oaks, and he departed for Southeast Asia in October, 1971.
Gregg was seen on the Christmas broadcasts from Hanoi. At this time the
POW's were televised to play on the emotions of the men and their families.
When Gregg was viewed by his parents, it was noted that he was wearing a
T-shirt which had been sent by his family. Thereby, they knew that he had
received a package from home. In this way, his family could also observe
that he was not ill or injured. Gregg's homecoming was overwhelming and
joyous. Constantly on his mind, however, was and is his concern for our
MlA's. Let them not be forgotten!

Gregg Hanson and his wife Jamie reside in Florida.