Name: David Hugh Holmes
Rank/Branch: O3/US Air Force
Date of Birth: 26 March 1938
Home City of Record: Belmont MA (family in Billings MT)
Loss Date: 15 March 1966
Country of Loss: Laos
Loss Coordinates: 164548N 1060821E (XD214536)
Status (in 1973): Missing In Action
Category: 2
Acft/Vehicle/Ground: O1E Cessna
Refno: 0275

Source: Compiled from one or more of the following: raw data from U.S.
Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA families,
published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK in 2020.

Other Personnel In Incident: John Michel Nash; Glenn McElroy (both missing
on OV-1)


SYNOPSIS: Captain David Holmes was flying FAC (Forward Air Control) on an
O1E "Bird Dog" aircraft in Laos on March 15, 1966. His radio call sign was
"Hound Dog 54: on this "Tiger Hound" operation. Holmes was flying over a
large concentration of NVA toops maintaining a truck park along the Ho Chi
Minh Trail when his plane was struck by anti-aircraft fire from at least one
of the 6 gun emplacements and crashed into the foliage on the east side of
the Se Nam Kok River valley about 300 meters from the village of Ban Keng
Khan Kao.

Another O1E, call sign "Hound Dog 50" was dispatched immediately and
observed Holmes, apparently unconscious, sitting in the cockpit of his
plane. At this time (2:35 p.m.), Hound Dog 50 also observed the OV-1 Mohawk
flown by Michel Nash and Glenn McElroy enter the line of enemy fire on the
west side of the valley.  The OV-1 was shot down with Nash and McElroy

Because of the plane losses and the discovery of the troops and gun
emplacements, F-4's (call sign Oxwood 95) and A1E Skyraiders were called in
and the ensuing battle raged for 4-5 hours that afternoon in the operational
area known as "ECHO".

On March 16, a search and rescue team flew to the crash site of David
Holmes' O1E and found the plane empty. Their report states that he was
either removed from the plane or left under his own power. URC-10 emergency
radio signals were heard four times in the next 6 days, but it was thought
that the signals were initiated by the enemy as voice contact was never
made. Holmes, Nash and McElroy all had URC-10 radios.

Just over 20 years from the day the two aircraft went down, U.S. teams had
the opportunity to examine and excavate the crash site of Nash and McElroy's
OV1A. There was no shred of evidence that anyone died in the aircraft. No
human remains or bone fragments were found.

In 1973, 591 Americans were released from prisons in Vietnam. Holmes, Nash
McElroy were not among them, nor were nearly 2500 other Americans who went
missing in Southeast Asia. Of this 2500, nearly 600 are missing in Laos. No
prisoners held in Laos were released in 1973, nor has there ever been any
agreement reached which would free them.
Were there not thousands of reports indicating hundreds of Americans are
still held captive in Southeast Asia, America might be able to close this
chapter of the Vietnam war. But if there is even ONE American prisoner, we
cannot forget. We must bring them home.

NOTE: The 20th Aviation Detachment existed until December 1966, at which
time it was reassigned as the 131st Aviation Company, 223rd Aviation
Battalion (Combat Support). The 131st Aviation Company had been assigned to
I Corps Aviation Battalion since June 1966, when it arrived in Vietnam. In
August 1967, the 131st Aviation Company was reassigned to the 212th Aviation
Battalion where it remained until July 1971, whereupon it transferred out of

There were a large number of pilots lost from this unit, including Thaddeus
E. Williams and James P. Schimberg (January 9, 1966); John M. Nash and Glenn
D. McElroy (March 15, 1966); James W. Gates and John W. Lafayette (April 6,
1966); Robert G. Nopp and Marshall Kipina (July 14, 1966); Jimmy M. Brasher
and Robert E. Pittman (September 28, 1966); James M. Johnstone and James L.
Whited (November 19, 1966); Larry F. Lucas (December 20, 1966); and Jack W.
Brunson and Clinton A. Musil (May 31, 1971). Missing OV1 aircraft crew from
the 20th/131st represent well over half of those lost on OV1 aircraft during
the war.

U.S. Army records list both Nopp and Kipina as part of the "131st Aviation
Company, 14th Aviation Battalion", yet according to "Order of Battle" by
Shelby Stanton, a widely recognized military source, this company was never
assigned to the 14th Aviation Battalion. The 131st was known as
"Nighthawks", and was a surveillance aircraft company.





Return to Service Member Profiles


Captain David Hugh Holmes entered the U.S. Air Force from Massachusetts and served with the 22nd Tactical Air Support Squadron. On March 15, 1966, he was the pilot and sole occupant of an O-1E Bird Dog (tail number 56-2530, call sign "Hounddog 54") when it took off from the Khe Sanh Special Forces camp on a forward air controller (FAC) mission over Laos. While in the mission area, his aircraft was hit by enemy ground fire and crashed in the vicinity of (GC) XD 214 536. A ground search team reached the crash site on the following day, but Capt Holmes' remains were not found. He remains unaccounted-for. While carried in the status of missing in action, the U.S. Air Force promoted Capt Holmes to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel (Lt Col). Today, Lieutenant Colonel Holmes is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

Based on all information available, DPAA assessed the individual's case to be in the analytical category of Active Pursuit.

If you are a family member of this serviceman, DPAA can provide you with additional information and analysis of your case. Please contact your casualty office representative.

Service member profile discrepancy? Please help us ensure the accuracy of each profile by submitting documentation about a service member profile.