Name: Irby Dyer III
Rank/Branch: E6/US Army Special Forces
Unit: Detatchment B-52 DELTA, 5th Special Forces Group
Date of Birth: 12 June 1943 (Sweetwater TX)
Home City of Record: Midland TX
Date of Loss: 02 December 1966
Country of Loss: Laos
Loss Coordinates: 165049N 1063159E (XD633631)
Status (in 1973): Killed/Body Not Recovered
Category: 2
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: UH1D
Refno: 0537

Other Personnel In Incident: Russell P. Bott; Willie E. Stark (both missing);
Daniel Sulander; (missing from UH1D exfiltration aircraft)

Source: Compiled from one or more of the following: raw data from U.S.
Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA families,
published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK in 2020.


SYNOPSIS: In late November 1966, Russell Bott and Willie Stark were inserted
about 1 1/2 miles into Laos west of the DMZ along with a number of
Vietnamese Special Forces (LLDB) "strikers". The team, a long-range
reconnaissance patrol (LRRP), was soon discovered by a superior North
Vietnamese force, members of the 325B NVA Division. A two day running battle

Near the end, Bott radioed that he was down to one grenade ond one magazine
of ammunition. He also stated that several of the Vietnamese members of his
team were dead or wounded. Willie Stark was wounded in the chest and leg,
but was alive. Bott requested exfiltration at that time. He refused to leave
his wounded teammate to seek safety, and in his last radio message, Bott
indicated that he was going to destroy his radio, that he felt capture was

Two gunships working the area were hit by enemy fire. Also, the exfiltration
helicopter from 281st Assault Helicopter Company was hit, and crashed and
burned, killing the crew of four and Irby Dyer, a medic from Det. B-52 Delta
who had gone in to help treat the wounded. The wreckage of the plane and all
five remains were found in searches conducted December 10-13. The remains,
which had been horribly mutilated by the enemy, were left at the site. When
a team returned to recover the remains, U.S. bombing and strafing activities
had destroyed them further. The identifiable remains of three of the crew
were recovered, but those of Daniel Sulander and Irby Dyer were not.

Searches for Bott and Stark were unsuccessful. Vietnamese team members who
evaded capture reported that they had heard North Vietnamese soldiers say,
"Here you are! We've been looking for you! Tie his hands, we'll take him
this way."

Sgt. First Class Norman Doney, who was Operations Sergeant at that time at
B-52 headquarters at Khe Sanh, overheard the Intelligence Sergeant on the
"52 Desk" reviewing intelligence about Bott. Doney states that it was
reported that Bott was seen with his arms tied behind his back going through
a village, and that he was alive 3 days after he became missing.

Bott, Dyer, Sulander and Stark are among nearly 600 Americans lost in Laos
during the Vietnam war. Although the Pathet Lao stated on several occasions
that they held "tens of tens" of American prisoners, not one man held in
Laos was ever released...or negotiated for. Dyer and Sulander died for their
country. Stark's fate is unknown. He may have died from his wounds or
survived to be captured. Bott, at least, could be one of the hundreds of
Americans experts believe to be alive today. He was loyal to his comrades
and to his country. If he is alive, what must he be thinking of us?





Return to Service Member Profiles

On December 2, 1966, a UH-1D Iroquois (tail number 65-10088) carrying five crew members took off from Khe Sanh, South Vietnam, on a mission to extract members of a long-range reconnaissance patrol in Laos. The Iroquois was one of seven helicopters in the recovery attempt and when it approached the landing zone, it came under intense automatic weapons fire and was driven off. The aircraft lost control and then descended in a nose-down position, and crashed and burned in the vicinity of (GC) XD 633 631. Later search efforts confirmed that five crew members were killed in the incident and their remains found at the crash site, but the heavy enemy presence in the loss area prevented any recovery efforts for their remains.

Sergeant Irby Dyer III entered the U.S. Army from Texas and was a member of Detachment B-52, 5th Special Forces Group. He was a medic aboard this Iroquois when it crashed on December 2, 1966, and he was lost with the aircraft. He remains unaccounted-for. Today, Sergeant Dyer is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

Based on all information available, DPAA assessed the individual's case to be in the analytical category of Deferred.

If you are a family member of this serviceman, DPAA can provide you with additional information and analysis of your case. Please contact your casualty office representative.

Service member profile discrepancy? Please help us ensure the accuracy of each profile by submitting documentation about a service member profile.