Name: George Everett Day
Rank/Branch: O4/United States Air Force
Unit: 37th TFW Misty FAC (Commando Sabre Super FACs)
Date of Birth: 24 February 1925
Home City of Record: Niagra Falls NY
Date of Loss: 26 August 1967
Country of Loss: North Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 170100N 1065800 E
Status (in 1973): Returnee
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: F-100F, #3954
Missions: 139
        PFC/Corp in WWII - 30 months South and Central Pacific April 42 - Nov 45
        2 Tours Air Defense F-84's - Radar tracking missions vs. Soviet radar Vladivostok
        Bay and Soviet Coast.

Incident No: 0814

Other Personnel in Incident: Capt. Corwin Kippenham, escaped, evaded, rescued, pilot

Source: Compiled by P.O.W. NETWORK 09 March 1997 from one or more of the
following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence with
POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews, quotes from "And Brave Men,
Too" by Timothy Lowry.  2020



Day was the forward Air Control Pilot in the F-100F on a strike mission over
a missile site near the DMZ when he was hit. B-52s were bombing along the
southern edge of the DMZ. He started a pass coming in from the southeast to
the northwest. He was doing about five hundred and was full of fuel when the
plane was hit in the aft section.

The GIB (guy in front) was on his first mission. The sequence for ejection
was that the back seat had to go first. Day fired the canopy and punched
out. The GIB followed almost immediately and landed about a mile and half
away, a little south, between twenty-five and forty miles north of the DMZ.
A rescue helicopter picked him up as the Vietcong got to Day. By the time
the helicopter attempted Day's rescue, the the Vietcong had stripped Day and
had moved about a quarter mile.

In the ejection, Day's left arm was broken in three places, twice in the
forearm and once in the upper arm. He was blinded in the left eye for a long
time due to a blood clot or a bruise. His left knee was dislocated, as he
hit the ground unconscious.

The militia group that captured Day were undisciplined, untrained "kids"
between sixteen and twenty years old. That did not prevent them from
establishing a brutal torture regimen. Day recalls, "They would tie up my
feet with about twenty-five feet of a cotton clothesline rope. It was one of
the funniest things you ever saw. They would wrap it around my legs about
twenty times and then tie up to sixty granny knots in the rope. Damndest
exercise I had ever seen. It was really kind of funny. After they stopped
tying my hand to the ceiling, I started practicing and after a while I could
untie the whole strand of rope around my feet in twenty or thirty minutes -
it was a piece of cake."

Early in his captivity he was able to escape. At the time, Major Day was
about forty miles north of the DMZ, and from visual sightings during
previous flights, he believed that the region consisted entirely of rice
paddies all the way down to the DMZ. However, four or five miles south of
the camp, the paddies changed to hard, cleared land. After traversing the
rice paddies, Day continued for about ten miles until he hit an area of
light forestation at dawn. After making about twenty miles that first night,
he stopped to rest near a North Vietnamese artillery position that was

After staying awake more than 24 hours, Day lost all reference to the sky in
a cloudy mist. He slid under some bushes and went to sleep. After it stopped
raining, "something landed very close to me, and I took a hit in the leg.
The concussion picked me up off the ground and then crunch back down. My
sinuses and eardrums were ruptured and I was really nauseated. I barfed and
barfed and barfed and barfed until I thought I'd barfed my kidneys out. I
lost my equilibrium and couldn't even stand up. I was bleeding out of the
nose and some of the vomit was bloody. A couple days later when I felt
better I took off and was walking fairly well although my leg began to swell
because of the shrapnel I'd taken in it. That day I lost about a mile
because I started walking in circles. Somewhere about the tenth day I
started running out of control. I began to hallucinate and talk out loud. I
didn't realize what happens after you starve yourself. It would frighten me
to hear myself talking out loud and the hallucinations were just wild."

The hallucinations drove Day right into the path of the Vietcong. He tried
to take off running, but after the fourth or fifth step, they started
firing. He was hit in the leg and hand, but he continued down the trail for
about thirty feet before veering off and passing out. He was unconscious
somewhere between eleven and fifteen days. They took him back to the same
camp he had escaped from, with the trip lasting thirty-seven hours.

That October he had the first interrogator who spoke English. Day could
barely understand him - but the brutality from him was loud and clear. The
arm that had partly healed, was broken again.

"They had hung me up from the ceiling and paralyzed this [left] hand for
about a year and a half. I could barely move my right hand. My wrist curled
up and my fingers were curling. I could just barely move my [right] thumb
and forefinger."

"In some of the torture sessions, they were trying to make you surrender.
The name of the game was to take as much brutality as you could until you
got to the point that you could hardly control yourself and then surrender.
The next day they'd start all over again."

"I knew what he was - he was obviously Cuban and had either been raised at
or near the U.S. Naval base at Guantanamo. He knew every piece of American
slang and every bit of American vulgarity, and he knew how to use them
perfectly. He knew Americans and understood Americans. He was the only one
in Hanoi who did.

"I had gotten to the Zoo on April 30, 1968, and he had already pounded Earl
Cobiel out of his senses. No one knows exactly what happened. A young gook,
whose name escapes me, and two other beaters beat him all night. They
brought him out after a fourteen or fifteen-hour session, and he obviously
didn't have a clue as to what was going on. He was totally bewildered and he
never came unbewildered.

"The gooks kept thinking he was putting on, so they would keep torturing
him. The crowning blow came when one of the guards some people called Goose
struck him across the face with a fan belt under his eye, and the eyeball
popped out.

"The guy never flinched, and that was the first time the gooks finally got
the picture that maybe they'd scrambled his brains.

"It sounds so savage you have trouble picturing it."


SOURCE: WE CAME HOME  copyright 1977
Captain and Mrs. Frederic A Wyatt (USNR Ret), Barbara Powers Wyatt, Editor
P.O.W. Publications, 10250 Moorpark St., Toluca Lake, CA 91602
Text is reproduced as found in the original publication (including date and
spelling errors).
UPDATE - 02/97 by the P.O.W. NETWORK, Skidmore, MO with material provided by
Col. Bud Day, RET USAF

Colonel - United States Air Force
Shot Down: August 26, 1967
Released: March 14, 1973

Bud Day was born on February 24, 1925. He dropped out of high school in 1942
to join the Marine Corps where he spent thirty months overseas in the
Pacific Theatre, leaving active service in 1945. He joined the Army Reserve,
acquired a Juris Doctor from the University of South Dakota in 1949, and a
BS and Doctor of Humane Letters from Morningside College, Sioux City, Iowa.

The "smartest move of my life", says Bud was his marrying Doris Marlene
Sorensen in 1949. Bud was recalled by the USAF as a Second Lieutenant in
1951 and he attended jet pilot training followed by two tours in Korea and
four years flying fighters in England (He made Air Force history with the
first no-chute bailout from an F-84-F in 1957!)

The Days adopted their first son, Steven, and were soon reassigned as
Commandant of Cadets, St. Louis University, Missouri. Bud acquired a Master
of Arts in political science. They adopted a second son, George E. Jr., in
1963 and the family spent three years in Niagara Falls, N.Y., where Colonel
Day flew fighters. The family was increased by twin adopted girls, Sandra
M., and Sonja M., just before Bud was assigned to fly a F-100 fighter bomber
in South Vietnam. After seventy-two missions, he was reassigned as Commander
of MISTY, the first jet FAC unit flying in North Vietnam. He was shot down
on the sixty-seventh mission while striking a missile site. During ejection
he had three breaks in his right arm, and a dislocated left knee.

Colonel Day was the Commander of several Vietnamese prisons, the Zoo,
Heartbreak Hotel, Skidrow, and Misty and Eagle Squadrons. He was
incarcerated for sixty-seven months, and executed the only successful escape
from North Vietnam into the South. He was recaptured near Quang Tri City,
South Vietnam, after about two weeks of freedom. He was shot in the left leg
and hand, and had shrapel wounds in his right leg. For this he was heavily
tortured, since he was labeled as having a "bad attitude." He was "hung",
his arms were broken and paralyzed.

As Commander of the Barn in the Zoo, he was the last of the "Old Heads"
tortured - a four month stretch in irons, solo, and massive beatings with
the fan belt and "rope". Of six, he was one of three who survived from
Heartbreak Hotel in 1970.

Asked many times what sustained Americans in this environment, Colonel Day
answers: "I am, and have been all my life, a loyal American. I have faith in
my country, and am secure in the knowledge that my country is a good nation,
responsible to the people of the United States and responsible to the world
community of nations. I believed in my wife and children and rested secure
in the knowledge that they backed both me and my country. I believe in God
and that he will guide me and my country in paths of honorable conduct. I
believe in the Code of Conduct of the U.S. fighting man. I believe the most
important thing in my life was to return from North Vietnam with honor, not
just to return. If I could not return with my honor, I did not care to
return at all. I believe that in being loyal to my country that my country
will be loyal to me. My support of our noble objectives will make the world
a better place in which to live."

Note: Colonel Day has written a book telling of his experiences in
more detail. It is entitled, "Return with Honor."

Colonel Day's decorations include our nation's highest - the Medal of Honor,
Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star, Air
Medal, Purple Heart, POW Medal and other Vietnam service awards and medals.
He has numerous awards and medals from his service prior to Vietnam.

His family resides in Glendale, Arizona. His wife was intensely active in
POW/MIA affairs and was chosen TAC wife of the year as well as receiving
other honors for service to the POW-MIA cause. They expect to continue
residence in Phoenix and enter law and politics after retirement from the


George "Bud" Day retired from the United States Air Force as a Colonel in
1977. He was awarded the Medal of Honor and is the most decorated officer
since MacArthur. Reflecting on his time in captivity, Day says, "Freedom has
a special taste!

Day and his wife Doris have been married 48 years . They reside in Florida,
where he is a practicing attorney. He is involved with litigation protecting
Veterans Health Care Benefits. In his spare time he enjoys hunting. "Bud"
and Doris have 4 children and 10 grandchildren.


                            Medal of Honor


Rank and organization: Colonel (then Major), U.S. Air Force, Forward Air
Controller Pilot of an F-100 aircraft

Place and date: North Vietnam, 26 August 1967

Entered service at: Sioux City, Iowa

Born: 24 February 1925, Sioux City, Iowa


On 26 August 1967, Col. Day was forced to eject from his aircraft over North
Vietnam when it was hit by ground fire. His right arm was broken in 3
places, and his left knee was badly sprained. He was immediately captured by
hostile forces and taken to a prison camp where he was interrogated and
severely tortured. After causing the guards to relax their vigilance, Col.
Day escaped into the jungle and began the trek toward South Vietnam. Despite
injuries inflicted by fragments of a bomb or rocket, he continued southward
surviving only on a few berries and uncooked frogs. He successfully evaded
enemy patrols and reached the Ben Hai River, where he encountered U.S.
artillery barrages. With the aid of a bamboo log float, Col. Day swam across
the river and entered the demilitarized  zone. Due to delirium, he lost his
sense of direction and wandered aimlessly for several days. After several
unsuccessful attempts to signal U.S. aircraft, he was ambushed and
recaptured by the Viet Cong, sustaining  gunshot wounds to his left hand and
thigh. He was returned to the prison from which he had escaped and later was
moved to Hanoi after giving his captors false information to questions put
before him. Physically, Col. Day was totally debilitated and unable perform
even the simplest task for himself. Despite his many injuries, he continued
to offer maximum resistance. His personal bravery in the face of deadly enemy
pressure was significant in saving the lives of fellow aviators who were
still flying against the enemy. Col. Day's conspicuous gallantry and
intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in
keeping with  the highest traditions of the U.S. Air Force and reflect great
credit upon himself and the U.S. Armed Forces.


American Patriot: The Life and Wars of Colonel Bud Day
by Robert Coram

First he won the Medal of Honor, then he took on the U.S. government-the
riveting story of Colonel George "Bud" Day, the most decorated officer in
modern U.S. history. (Little, Brown and Company, Hardcover, Biography,
$27.99, ISBN: 0-316-75847-7 / 978-0-316-75847-5)
Pub date: May 3, 2007

Chapter 1:


It has been our pleasure to receive and review and early copy of this fine

The story took on a very personal note as we met Bud and Dorie Day through
Col Ted Guy back in 1996. Bud had JUST started on his campaign of "Broken
Promises" on a long road through the courts and we were able to watch a true
patriot in action from the beginning of the fight to the end.

The book was impossible to put down. The little bits of Bud's life we knew
from our time at reunions and chance meetings took on a new perspective with
Coram's book. The glimpses into his soul as the story details his life leads
one to believe he is much more an extraordinary man than a rare yet annual
meeting might reveal.

His determination, his faith, his perseverance through 3 wars, captivity
with the most horrific of circumstances, his bold fight against the United
States Government on behalf of WWII veterans health care, his fight with
honor and integrity during the Swift Boat campaign against John Kerry, all
supported by a caring and determined family, gives one a story that is truly
worth reading over and over again.

We were able to walk away after reading this book with a revelation that we
have truly gotten to know an outstanding officer, a faithful husband,
and a special father worthy of the name "hero."

Thanks for the intro Col Guy. Thank You Robert Coram  - for the rest of the


American Patriot: The Life and Wars of Colonel Bud Day
by Robert Coram

First he won the Medal of Honor, then he took on the U.S. government—the riveting story of Colonel George "Bud" Day, the most decorated officer in modern U.S. history. (Little, Brown and Company, Hardcover, Biography, $27.99, ISBN: 0-316-75847-7 / 978-0-316-75847-5)
Pub date: May 3, 2007


National Aviation Hall of Fame reveals names of four to be inducted in “Class of 2016”

Announcement made at NBAA Convention – October 2016 ceremony enshrines first Shuttle pilot,
Medal of Honor recipient, NASA pioneer and former EAA leader

(Las Vegas, NV – Nov. 18, 2015)    Today the National Aviation Hall of Fame (NAHF) announced the names of four
individuals who have been elected for enshrinement at its annual formal ceremony on Saturday, October 1, 2016 in Dayton.  ...

The NAHF Class of 2016 is a diverse group representing a broad range of enduring contributions to both the
advancement of flight and the  manned exploration of space.  The four to be formally enshrined on October 1, 2016, are:

 The late Col. George “Bud” Day, USAF (Ret) – Marines Corps combat veteran of WWII who became Air Force fighter pilot in Korea and S.E. Asia; shot down and spent 67 months as Vietnam War POW, earning the Medal of Honor.

The late Col. George “Bud” Day, USAF (Ret) – Marines Corps combat veteran of WWII who became Air Force fighter pilot in Korea and S.E. Asia; shot down and spent 67 months as Vietnam War POW, earning the Medal of Honor.


In the recent 2017 Defense Authorization Act, Bud Day was posthumously promoted to Brigadier General. 
The language:

S. 2943

Subtitle Decorations and Awards


(a) ADVANCEMENT. Colonel George E. "Bud" Day, United States Air Force (retired), is entitled to hold the 
rank of brigadier general while on the retired list of the Air Force.

(b) ADDITIONAL BENEFITS NOT TO ACCRUE. The advancement of George  E.  "Bud" Day on the retired
list of  the Air Force under subsection (a) shall not affect the retired pay or  other benefits from the United States
to which George E.  "Bud"  Day would have been entitled based upon his military service or affect any benefits
to which any other person may  become entitled based on his military service.


Actual ceremony on the posthumous promotion took place June 8, 2018 at the Air Force Memorial in Arlington, VA.   
USAF Chief of Staff General Goldfein presented the stars to Doree Day and her son George.


Pictures for Special 8 June Event at Air Force Memorial

These are some pictures from the 8 June event.

For those not aware, it was Doris Day who took the lead in the AWCF helping the military families hurt by Hurricane Katrina. The AWCF was able to provide $100,000.00 and Doris made the distribution


This message came from Fingers after the event:

"Great to have you there, Dave. As always the Rats were center stage. All the best. Fingers”


Doris Day and Dave


Chaplain Sarah Schechter, Doris Day and Dave

G Stars given by General David “Fingers” Goldfein to Bud Day on
posthumous promotion

The magnificent Air Memorial


River Rats at the event: Sarah Schechter, Mimi Drew, Dave Brog, Chris Whitcomb, Fingers, Darrell Whitcomb and Phil Drew.
We could not find Orville and Keri for the picture


On Friday evening, 8 June 2018, Air Force Chief of Staff General David “Fingers” Goldfein and Dawn Goldfein hosted a reception and AF band concert at the Air Force Memorial near Arlington Cemetery in Virginia. It was a special occasion to honor the Wounded, the MIAs, the POWs and all service people who have defended our country. Special mention was given to four Vietnam War POWs, John McCain, Sam Johnson, Leo Thorsness and George “Bud” Day. Representing them were John’s daughter-in-law, Renee McCain, Sam’s congressional chief of staff, Leo’s widow Gaylee  and Bud’s widow Doris and son George, Jr.

A special honor was given to Bud Day. In the FY2017 military appropriations bill, John McCain had a clause put in promoting Bud, posthumously, to Brigadier General. Fingers made the presentation to Doris with his own original silver stars from his own promotion to Brigadier General.

At the conclusion before the final musical singing of God Bless America and the Service songs, Renee, Sam’s chief of staff, Gaylee and Doris, along with Fingers, performed the induction of the Air Force’s latest recruits.

One other special guest was Dawn and Fingers’ first grandchild, from daughter Dani. She is 2 months old Ava Nicole.

River Rats in attendance were, Fingers, Orville Wright,  Phil Drew,  Darrell Whitcomb,  Major Chaplain Sarah Schechter, Gaylee, Doris and George Day Jr., Dave Brog.

It was a very special event and many thanks go out to Fingers and Dawn for the beautiful evening that they gave us


A POW who escaped his cell in North Vietnam before being recaptured, Day received the Medal of Honor and the Air Force Cross.
The book also has a chapter on his wife, Doris.
The authors are donating the proceeds from the book sales to veterans service organizations such as the Disabled American ...
WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- Medal of Honor recipient Col. ... Day earned 70 decorations, to include the Congressional Medal of Honor and the Air Force ...

The U.S. Air Force has posthumously promoted former Fort Walton Beach attorney and Medal of Honor recipient Col. George "Bud" Day to the rank of ...
Medal of Honor recipient Colonel George “Bud” Day was advanced to the rank of brigadier general during an event at the Air Force Memorial in ...