Name: Issac "Ike" Camacho
Rank/Branch: E7/US Army Special Forces
Unit: Detachment A-21, Company B, 5th Special Forces Group
Date of Birth:
Home City of Record: El Paso TX
Date of Loss: 24 November 1963
Country of Loss: South Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 105444N 1061914E (XT441071)
Status (in 1973): Escaped POW
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: Ground
Refno: 0024

Other Personnel in Incident: Claude D. McClure; George E. Smith (both
released 1965); Kenneth Roraback (missing).

Source: Compiled from one or more of the following: raw data from U.S.
Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA families,
published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK in 2019.


SYNOPSIS: The U.S. Army Special Forces, Vietnam (Provisional) was formed at
Saigon in 1962 to advise and assist the South Vietnamese government in the
organization, training, equipping and employment of the Civilian Irregular
Defense Group (CIDG) forces. Total personnel strength in 1963 was 674, all
but 98 of whom were TDY from 1st Special Forces Group on Okinawa and 5th and
7th Special Forces Groups at Ft. Bragg. USSF Provisional was given complete
charge of the CIDG program, formerly handled by the CIA, on July 1, 1963.

The USSF Provisional/CIDG network consisted of fortified, strategically
located camps, each one with an airstrip. The area development programs soon
evolved into combat operations, and by the end of October 1963, the network
also had responsibility for border surveillance. Two of the Provisional/CIDG
camps were at Hiep Hoa (Detachment A-21) and Tan Phu (Detachment A-23),
Republic of Vietnam. Their isolated locations, in the midst of known heavy
enemy presence, made the camps vulnerable to attack.

The camp at Hiep Hoa was located in the Plain of Reeds between Saigon and
the Cambodian border. In late October 1963, several Viet Cong surrendered at
the camp, claiming they wished to defect. Nearly a month later, on November
24, Hiep Hoa was overrun by an estimated 400-500 Viet Cong just after
midnight. Viet Cong sympathizers in the camp had killed the guards and
manned a machine gun position at the beginning of the attack. The Viet Cong
climbed the camp walls and shouted in Vietnamese, "Don't shoot! All we want
is the Americans and the weapons!" Lt. John Colbe, the executive officer,
evaded capture. Capt. Doug Horne, the Detachment commander, had left earlier
with a 36 man Special Forces/CIDG force. The Viet Cong captured four of the
Americans there. It was the first Special Forces camp to be overrun in the
Vietnam War.

Those captured at Hiep Hoa were SFC Issac "Ike" Camacho, SFC Kenneth M.
Roraback (the radio operator), Sgt. George E. "Smitty" Smith and SP5 Claude
D. McClure. Their early days of captivity were spent in the Plain of Reeds,
southwest of Hiep Hoa, and they were later held in the U Minh forest.

"Ike" Camacho continually looked for a way to escape. In July 1965, he was
successful. His and Smith's chains had been removed for use on two new
American prisoners, and in the cover of a violent night storm, Camacho
escaped and made his way to the village of Minh Thanh. He was the first
American serviceman to escape from the Viet Cong in the Second Indochina
War. McClure and Smith were released from Cambodia in November 1965.

Rocky Versace had been torn between the Army and the priesthood. When he won
an appointment to West Point, he decided God wanted him to be a soldier. He
was to enter Maryknoll (an order of Missionaries), as a candidate for the
priesthood, when he left Vietnam. It was evident from the beginning that
Versace, who spoke fluent French and Vietnamese, was going to be a problem
for the Viet Cong. Although Versace was known to love the Vietnamese people,
he could not accept the Viet Cong philosophy of revolution, and spent long
hours assailing their viewpoints. His captors eventually isolated him to
attempt to break him.

On Sunday, September 26, 1965, "Liberation Radio" announced the execution of
Rocky Versace and Kenneth Roraback in retaliation for the deaths of 3
terrorists in Da Nang. A later news article stated that the executions were
faked, but the Army did not reopen an investigaton. In the late 1970's
information regarding this "execution" became classified, and is no longer
part of public record.

Of the seven U.S. Army Special Forces personnel captured at Hiep Hoa and Tan
Phu, the fates of only Versace and Roraback remain unknown. The execution
was never fully documented; it is not known with certainty that these two
men died. Although the Vietnamese claim credit for their deaths, they did
not return their remains. From the accounts of those who knew them, if these
men were not executed, they are still fighting for their country.


Issac Camacho retired from the United States Army as a Captain. He still
lives in Texas.

In early 1999, Capt. Camacho was presented the Distinguished Service Cross.
The request was made by Senator Bob Smith (NH), and the presentation made by
Gov. George Bush. During the ceremony, Senator Bob Smith recounted that
"Sergeant First Class Camacho resisted capture during the enemy raid on his
Special Forces Camp in Vietnam, cared for his wounded soldiers and attempted
to rescue others. Following his capture by the Viet Cong and cruel
confinement, he then implemented a daring and successful escape nineteen
months later. In 1997, he was awarded the Silver Star.



Good Morning ladies and men, My name is Billy Waugh, and hope this finds you all well.
    I have completed a 290-page book titled Isaac Camacho, an American Hero, which recites Isaac C's description of his days as a POW.  To go with the book is a 135-page web-site that includes Maps, Sketches, photographs, and documents gathered and prepared for this book.  The site is  
    Three other US Army Special Forces NCOs were captured in the same battle, one day after President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, TX.  Isaac Camacho had heard the assassination news just a few hours before his capture.
    The idea is that the reader (shooting for military readers primarily) will view the web-site when queued in the reading, as the story of Isaac's battle to save the Special Forces Camp at Hiep Hoa, SVN on 24 Nov 1963, his WIA, and capture; the subsequent march through the Parrot's beak of Cambodia, up through western Tay Ninh Province, in into the COSVN POW Camp named B-20 straddling the Cambodian / SVN border some fifteen KM northwest of the village of Katum, SVN (once a Special Forces CIDG camp)
 `I believe you will find the web-site comprehensive, and the book simply written in chronological arrangement, describing Isaac's memories of his POW days of caging.
  Isaac's mother, Ms. Maria Eloreaga is more than 90-years now, and not well.  Her Mother was a 100% Mescalero-Apache from the NM or AZ area, who lived in Fabens, TX during Isaac Camacho's young days.  Ike's father was a Mexican who earned his living driving a truck to the Texas Valley and back to the ELP area.  Ike's father was killed in a trucking accident while he (Isaac) was a young lad...
    The book describes the work-details, interrogations, sicknesses, and treatment, as he was caged, shackled, chained to a tree in the open jungle for 21 months, plus a few days.  His coping was difficult, as you experts know.  None-the-less -  his planning and daring escape were completed in Jul 1965, as Isaac had been unshackled for a few days, as his chains were removed to be placed on another unseen POW somewhere nearby. ...
    Isaac Camacho is alive and well, living in El Paso, TX with his wife Graciela (Lopez) Camacho, a wonderful Spanish lady of German descent.

    ...  Please check the web-site  for a bit for a bit of info on some action in my life's AO.


    Thanks for listening.  Billy Waugh sends