c116.jpg (13757 bytes)

Name: Barton Sheldon Creed
Rank/Branch: O3/US Navy
Date of Birth: 03 April 1945
Home City of Record: Peekskill NY
Date of Loss: 13 March 1971
Country of Loss: Laos
Loss Coordinates: 161210N 1063300E
Status (In 1973): Prisoner of War
Category: 2
Acft/Vehicle/Ground: A7E
Refno: 1724
Other Personnel In Incident:

Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 15 March 1991 from one or more of
the following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence
with POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W.


SYNOPSIS: The Vought A7 Corsair II was a single-seat attack jet utilized by
both the Navy and Air Force in Vietnam. The aircraft was designed to meet
the Navy's need for a subsonic attack plane able to carry a greater load of
non-nuclear weapons that the A4 Skyhawk. The aircraft's unique design
completely freed the wingspace for bomb loading; the Pratt and Whitney jet
engine was beneath the fuselage of the aircraft. The Corsair was used
primarily for close air support and interdiction, although it was also used
for reconnaissance.

Lt. Barton S. Creed was pilot of an A7E aircraft which launched from the USS
RANGER on March 13, 1971 for a combat mission. Creed was shot down over the
Ho Chi Minh Trail during the mission. He ejected from the aircraft and
landed on the ground, breaking an arm and a leg in the process. Forward Air
Control (FAC) immediately established his position and marked a false
location with a smoke bomb hoping to draw the enemy away from his position.
FAC remained in constant radio contact with Creed.

Search and rescue helicopters made three attempts to pick him up. On the
first pass the helicopter crew thought they saw movement in the grass about
100 feet from Creed's position, but they decided to attempt the rescue
anyway. The helicopter hovered over Creed and a rescue man was let down on a
boom within 30 feet of the ground when small arms fire became so intense
that the helicopter was hit, injuring some of the crew.

Completely surrounded by the North Vietnamese, Creed's last transmittal was
"Pick me up, pick me up now! They are here!"

The search and rescue (SAR) plane made a wide sweep while two helicopters
tried to clear the area around Creed's position. About 4 minutes later, a
second rescue attempt was made, but small arms fire was even more intense.
Both helicopters received disabling fire, and the co-pilot of one was
seriously wounded. Neither helicopter made it back to base, but the crew was

Between the second and third attempts, Creed was moved. The third attempt
came from helicopters that had been standing by to the wet of the area and
they arrived 15-20 minutes later. They also received heavy ground fire.
Creed's parachute had been moved a little, and he could no longer be seen by

The fourth attempt was made after darkness, and a man was sent down on a
jungle penetrator and stayed down for some time. There was no sign of Lt.

The next morning the original FAC was granted permission to go back and look
for Creed again. FAC found that Creed's parachute had been moved about 500
meters and had been spread out. The pilot believed that NVA soldiers had
spread the parachute as a decoy for U.S. planes, as no American pilot trying
to evade capture would advertise his presence in this manner.

Rescue pilots say Creed was "most certainly alive" when they last saw him.
However, Creed's name did not appear on any list of prisoners provided by
the North Vietnamese.

One returned POW, who had been captured one week later in the same area,
believes he saw Creed's ID card as it was flashed in front of him at his
initial interrogation. Another released POW reported to Creed's mother that
a prison guard had drawn a picture of an aircraft like the one Creed flew
and then pantomimed putting a leg splint on a large American man.

Creed is one of nearly 600 men who were lost in Laos whose freedom was never
negotiated for in the peace agreements of 1973. Although the Pathet Lao
claimed to have held "tens of tens" of American POWs, not one was ever

Since the war ended, the Defense Department has received over 10,000 reports
relating to the men still unaccounted for in Southeast Asia, yet concludes
that no actionable evidence has been received that would indicate Americans
are still alive in Southeast Asia. A recent Senate investigation indicates
that most of these reports were dismissed without just cause, and that there
is every indication that Americans remained in captivity far after the war
ended, and may be alive today.

It's time we learned the truth about our missing and brought them home.

Barton S. Creed was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Commander during the
period he was maintained a prisoner of war. He is unmarried, and his parents
still await word about him.


Subject: Regarding LCDR. Barton Sheldon Creed, USN, MIA in 1971
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 11:44:11 EST

It came to my attention that all bios of Bart Creed list him as single.  I
have corrected that error in information at "virtualwall" through Ken Davis:

He recommended I give you the correct information as well.  I am perplexed
as to why the DoD database holds erroneous information as I get frequent
updates and communications from the office that handles pow/mia affairs.

To wit:  My name is Susan Page Creed Percy.  I was married to Lt.jg. Barton
S. Creed on June 8, 1967 in the chapel at USNA, four days after he graduated
and was commissioned.

We had two children.  Scott Sheldon Creed, just selected to rank of Major in
the U.S. Marine Corps is a Marine aviator presently living in Florida with
his family, wife Barbara, and two children, Caroline (age 4) and Bart (age
22 mos.).  Scott graduated from USNA in 1991.

Our daughter, Judith Page Creed O'Flaherty, graduated from Annapolis in 1992
and served five years with the Navy, the last two as an F-18 maintenance
officer with a fleet squadron attached to the carrier Nimitz.  After she
separated from the Navy she married a naval aviator.  They now have two
children, a son David (age 19 mos.) and a daughter, Mary Susan (age four

Both children have turned out to do great honor to their father's memory.

Bart's mother is still alive at age 90.  We all were with her to celebrate
her birthday on Feb. 9, 2001  Still vigorous and healthy she was very active
in POW/MIA affairs until last year.  She is slowing down a bit, but still
holds hope we'll have a final resolution of Bart's status.

In 1988 we did have a service for Bart in the section of Arlington that
memorializes those whose bodies were not recovered.  Mr. Creed was able to
attend but passed away a few months later.

In 1996, we learned that the search teams interviewed sources with sketchy
knowledge of the incidents surrounding Bart's disappearance.  The
information indicates that Bart died on the ground from injuries, perhaps
from the ejection. He was then, according to best recollections, buried in a
bunker nearby.  The search for his remains goes on but it is a daunting task
as the whole area is covered now in dense jungle.

I remarried a Marine Corps aviator after the war ended. We had a son, David,
to join my children by Bart. I'm now a freelance writer, frequently focusing
on memories of Bart or advocacy for military families.  We live in Virginia,
not far from DC, which affords us all the opportunity to visit both Bart's
memorial in Arlington and The Wall.

If there are further questions I can answer about Bart, I will be pleased to
do the best I can.  I am sorry I did not know earlier about the various
websites with information pertaining to Bart or I would have made these
corrections earlier.  Especially for all those strangers who wore his
bracelet or wondered about him all these years.  Perhaps they will finally
be glad to know that though Bart is gone, his legacy lives on through his
grandchildren, some of whom definitely bear resemblances to him and one who
bears his name.




Return to Service Member Profiles


Lieutenant Commander Barton Sheldon Creed, who entered the U.S. Navy from New York, served with Attack Squadron 113. On March 13, 1971, he was the pilot of a single-seat A-7 Corsair II (bureau number 157589, call sign "Battlecry 315") that took off as the leader of a flight of A-7s on a strike mission against enemy targets in southern Laos. His aircraft was hit by enemy ground fire as he pulled out of his initial strafing run. LCDR Creed ejected from the aircraft in the vicinity of (GC) XC 659 919 and landed in a small clearing, in Savannakhet Province, northwest of Kpoecheuk Mountain. The forward air controller quickly established radio contact with LCDR Creed, who reported a broken arm and broken leg. A search and rescue (SAR) team was unable to reach LCDR Creed due to heavy enemy fire, and after an hour on the ground, LCDR Creed radioed that he believed his capture was imminent. At dusk, SAR efforts were suspended until the next day, and the radio communications from LCDR Creed ceased at this time. Rescuers found LCDR Creed's parachute on the next day but were unable to locate him. While carried in the status of missing in action (MIA), the U.S. Navy promoted LCDR Creed to the rank of Lieutenant Commander (LCDR). Today, Lieutenant Commander Creed is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

Based on all information available, DPAA assessed the individual's case to be in the analytical category of Deferred.

If you are a family member of this serviceman, DPAA can provide you with additional information and analysis of your case. Please contact your casualty office representative.

Service member profile discrepancy? Please help us ensure the accuracy of each profile by submitting documentation about a service member profile.