Name: Robert Preston Chenoweth
Rank/Branch: E5 United States Army, crew chief
Unit: 58 Avn Det, 223 Bn, 17 Gp, 1 BDE
Date of Birth: 31 December 1947
Home City of Record: Portland OR
Date of Loss: 08 February 1968
Country of Loss: SVN
Loss Coordinates: 164424N  1071941E
Status (in 1973):
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: UH1D

Other Personnel in Incident: Lenker, Michael, returnee; Rose, Joseph,
returnee; Purcell, Benjamin, returnee; Ziegler, Roy "Dick", returnee;
George, James Edward, missing

Source: Compiled by P.O.W. NETWORK 02 March 1997 from one or more of the
following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence with
POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews, "Love & Duty", by Ben and
Anne Purcell. Updated 2016

REMARKS: 03/16/73 Released by PRG

The 101st Airborne Division had a new battalion just outside of Quang
Tri City. "Charlie" was everywhere around the city. Radio contact was
yet to be established with logistics. A single band radio needed to be
delivered there ASAP. Colonel Pen Purcell was the executive commander of
the 80th General Support Group and deputy commander of the Dan Nang
Sub-Area Command. Purcell decided to hand carry the radio on their way
to Dong Ha to check on other troops.

Warrant Officer Joe Rose was flying the UH-1 "Huey" and Warrant Officer
Dick Ziegler was his copilot. The crew chief was SP/4 Robert Chenoweth,
and SP/4 Mike Lenker was the door gunner. Pfc. James E. George, a
refrigeration mechanic from Purcell's command, sat in the jump seat.

Purcell handed the radio he had come to deliver to Capt Drake. Private
George, the refrigeration mechanic, hurried over to repair the disabled
reefer truck, which was his mission on this trip.

Captain Drake and his commo sergeant got in their jeep and drove off. As
Purcell started back toward the helicopter, he saw that the two pilots
and Chenoweth had a panel raised and were looking at something.

One of the radios was out and they could not fly back up through the
overcast skies without it. They had to cancel the rest of the trip up to
Dong Ha.

Rose turned the helicopter toward the southeast and headed toward the
coast. They were flying about three hundred feet or so above the
ground - not high enough to be out of range of small-arms fire.

Suddenly Warrant Officer Ziegler turned toward Purcell and shouted,
"We're being fired on!" His next message was, "We're on fire!"

The helicopter gave a sudden lurch and then the inside flared brightly
with an orange light. Only seconds after the first round hit, the fire
was already hot just forward of the transmission housing in the center
of the passenger compartment of the helicopter. Private George and
Col. Purcell were sitting on the outside seats as far away from the heat
as it was possible to be.

The helicopter made a sweeping turn to the right and toward the ground
trailing fire and smoke. Rose fought to control the helicopter and to
land it as quickly as possible.

The helicopter hit hard and the tips of the rotor blades dug into the
ground and broke as they struck a large granite monument. The helicopter
was ripped to shreds by the ground impact and the flailing rotor blades.

George, Chenoweth, Lenker, and Purcell loosened their seat belts and
jumped out, but the pilot and copilot couldn't get out through their
respective doors. They were trapped in their seats by the "chicken
plates," as the aircrews humorously called the armor shields installed
between them and their doors. The door gunner ran to the front doors and
slid the panels back so Rose and Mr. Ziegler could get out. By the
time he opened their doors, though, the pilots had already butted their
way through the windshield.

Ziegler was hit in the leg. George ran back to the ship to recover his
M-14 rifle, which was lying on the floor between the pilots' seats.
He drove right into the middle of the flames and the fire engulfed him
instantly. Lenker and Purcell had to reach in and drag him out. Flames
had licked at George's hands and face, and his skin there was hanging in

Lenker and Purcell had a hold of George and they half-carried and
halfdragged the badly burned young soldier away from the burning
helicopter. Ziegler was limping badly, his leg was bleeding, and George
was in great pain and groaning softly.

Soon after, the crew was surrounded by twelve Viet Cong. Realizing they
had no chance to fight with few weapons and ammunition, the crew

As the VC forced them to move, the injured George asked Ben Purcell to
pray. The VC soon put an end to the prayers -- Purcell was forced to
move off and a shot was heard. James E. George was believed executed
that day. His remains have never been found.

Robert Preston (Bob) Chenoweth spent time in 2 jungle camps (Laos),
Portholes, and the Hanoi Hilton.

In 1992, Ben and Anne Purcell wrote a love story entitled "LOVE & DUTY" --
the remarkable story of a courageous MIA family and the victory they won
with their faith. This short biography was written with information from
their book.

'I got to know the enemy'

By JOAN ABRAMS of the Tribune | Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 12:00 am

Since this story originally ran on Memorial Day 1996, Bob Chenoweth has moved to Moscow. Now 67, he is still curator at the Nez Perce National Historical Park in Spalding, but no longer serves as cultural resource manager.

Chenoweth had an opportunity to return to Vietnam in 2014. He wanted to visit some of the historical sites he didn't get a chance to see as a POW; he also re-visited the "Hanoi Hilton" prison grounds, which is now a museum...



Bob joined the Army in 1966 and flew combat helicopter missions for a
year before being shot down and captured during Tet 1968. He was
released from captivity in 1973.

He studied Anthropology at the American University in Washington DC
and went to work for the Smithsonian both as a student and afterward.
He developed an interest in pre-history while a student and wrote and
researched aviation history as well.

Bob stayed in the museum field ever since and went to work for the
National Park Service in 1990 as curator for the USS Arizona Memorial
in Hawaii. He returned to the mainland in 1992 as curator at the Grant
Kohrs Ranch in Deerlodge, Montana and came to work at Nez Perce
National Historical Park in 1995.

He also performs professional assessments of museums through the
American Association of Museums. His next assessment will be at the
Museum of Flight in Seattle.