Accounted for Dec. 22, 2014

Name: William Earl Cooper
Rank/Branch: O5/US Air Force
Unit: Squadron Commander; 469th Tactical Fighter Squadron
Date of Birth: 16 September 1920
Home City of Record: Albany GA (family in FL)
Date of Loss: 24 April 1966
Country of Loss: North Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 213000N 1060400E (WJ866264)
Status (in 1973: Missing In Action
Category: 2
Acft/Vehicle/Ground: F105D
Refno: 0315

Other Personnel In Incident: Jerry D. Driscoll (released POW) in same flight

Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 15 October 1990 from one or more
of the following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources,
correspondence with POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews. Updated
by the P.O.W. NETWORK 2020.


SYNOPSIS: On April 24, 1966, a multi-plane strike force departed Korat
Airbase, Thailand on a strike mission on a highway-railroad bridge north of
Hanoi. The target was a vital link, bearing traffic coming down from China.

The Squadron Commander (and commander of the mission), LtCol. William E.
Cooper was in one flight of four F105s. In another of the flights was 1Lt.
Jerry D. Driscoll.

As the first flight approached the target, Cooper's F105D was hit by a
surface-to-air missile (SAM). The plane subsequently broke in half, and the
front section, with canopy intact, was observed as it fell into a flat spin.
Witnessed did not see Cooper eject and and believed the he went down with
the aircraft, but there was doubt enough that the Air Force determined him
Missing in Action rather than killed.

Just afterwards, 1Lt. Jerry D. Driscoll (code-name Pecan 4) was inbound to
the target, about ten miles north, going approximately 550 knots (about 600
miles per hour) when his aircraft was struck in the tail by anti-aircraft
fire, causing it to catch fire. Flames were blowing out the back twice as
long as the aircraft. Others in the flight radioed to Driscoll that he was
on fire, and he immediately prepared to eject as the aircraft commenced a
roll. Driscoll punched out at about 1000 feet, with the aircraft nearly
inverted, and as a result, his parachute barely opened before he was on the
ground. He had removed his parachute and was starting to take off his heavy
flight suit when he was surrounded by about twenty North Vietnamese and

Driscoll was moved immediately to the "Heartbreak Hotel" in Hanoi where his
interrogation (and torture) began. Driscoll was a POW for the next seven
years, and was released in Operation Homecoming on February 12, 1973.

Just before his release, one returning POW was told by his interrogators
that LtCol. Cooper had died in the crash of the aircraft. At least one
intelligence report, however, indicates that Cooper was captured alive. The
U.S. believes the Vietnamese could account for Cooper and his name has been
included on lists brought before the Vietnamese in recent years as one of
scores of "discrepancy cases" it is felt can be resolved.

When the Peace Accords were signed ending American involvement in Vietnam,
591 American prisoners were released. Experts at the time expressed dismay
that "some hundreds" expected to be released were not, yet only perfunctory
efforts to secure the release of the others were made. In our haste to leave
Indochina, we abandoned some of our best men.

Shockingly, many authorities now believe, based on over 10,000 reports
relating to these missing Americans, that there are still hundreds alive in
captivity. Whether Cooper could be among them is unknown, but what seems
certain is that if even one is still alive, we have a moral obligation to
bring him home.

William E. Cooper was awarded the Air Force Cross, Distinguished Flying
Cross with oak leaf cluster, Air Medal with 7 oak leaf clusters and the
Purple Heart. He was promoted to the rank of Colonel during the period he
was maintained Missing in Action. He is married and has five children.

Jerry D. Driscoll graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1963, and was
promoted to the rank of Captain during his captivity.

A Man is Not Dead Until He is Forgotten

The Story of William E. Cooper
by Ray Davidson

On March 2, 1965, 104 US and 19 South Vietnamese aircraft struck a small military supply depot and a minor naval base in Quang Khe North Vietnam, a meager beginning to a controversial campaign known as "Operation Rolling Thunder". A little less that fourteen months later LtCol William Earl Cooper’s F105D aircraft would be cut in half by a SA-2 surface to air missile on a Rolling Thunder mission north of Hanoi

Rolling Thunder was controversial because it placed, as W. Hays Parks stated in Rolling Thunder and the Law of War, "unprecedented restrictions on U.S. strike forces ostensibly to protect the civilian population of North Vietnam."

Rolling Thunder was conceived as an interdiction campaign to convince the Democratic Republic of Vietnam that they could not win the war. Realizing that Vietnam was more a consumer nation vice a manufacturing nation, the Joint Chiefs of Staff developed a list of 94 key fixed targets to disrupt lines of communication, sever all rail and highways links to China/Russia, destroy and mine harbors and ports, destroy supply and ammunition dumps and lastly target all industrial sites outside of populated areas. President Johnson and then secretary of Defense McNamara not only rejected the "94 list" and its accession of targets but also supplanted a "limited interdiction campaign that passed through six separate phases and seven bombing halts prior to its conclusion on 31 October 1968". Thus creating not a truly military campaign but a politico-military quagmire. Parks said of Rolling Thunder, "Rolling Thunder was not a military campaign in the classical sense but a not-so-clearly defined program of ‘signals’ evolving from a politico-military strategy in which the political, including psychological, factors were not only predominant but oftentimes exclusive". Lyndon B. Johnson had entrusted the conduct of the war to the militarily incompetent Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara. At the same time, Johnson and McNamara retained and controlled Rolling Thunder target selection through a Tuesday Morning Breakfast "Club" in the family quarters of the White House where a target list was reviewed and "marked-up". This micro management led Johnson to boast "the Air Force couldn't bomb an outhouse in Vietnam without his say so". Such incompetence led to "geographic prohibitions, target denial, and stringent strike restrictions and rules of engagement." This was the political reality of Operation Rolling Thunder on that overcast Sunday, April 24, 1966, when LtCol. Cooper and his strike force left Korat Air Base, Thailand.

The aircraft that Cooper and his flight flew that morning was the Republic F-105D "Thunderchief" a supersonic tactical fighter-bomber that could carry 12,000 pounds of ordnance. The plane, nicknamed the "Thud", had already proven its battle worthiness. In addition to its bomb payload the single seat fighter could be mounted with air-to-air and air-to-surface missiles as well a 6,000 round per minute Vulcan cannon.

On this day Coopers plane had a load of six 750-pound bombs. The strike team’s target was the Bac Giang Bridge, a highway-railroad bridge located 35 miles northeast of Hanoi. It was a vital link between North Vietnam and China. Cooper and his pilots knew the bridge would be well defended with Surface to Air missiles and anti-aircraft artillery (AAA) emplacements. In fact, two planes and pilots had been lost the day before, this and the fact that the skies were overcast above the bridge with a low flight ceiling made for a dangerous mission. Cooper’s flight that day was called Oak, while the second flight of "Thuds" was code named Pecan. Cooper flew as Oak 1, Warren Moon was Oak 2, Jimmy Jones was Oak 3, and Dick Dutton was Oak 4.

A member of the flight recalls the mission, "The leader called for a weapons check as we crossed the Mekong River. The ‘fence check’ was the time to confirm all switch settings and turn the master arm switch on. At this point everything would be set to release the bombs or fire the cannon. In the Thud there were nine switch settings the pilot needed to confirm on the fence check. Most of them could be set prior to takeoff except for the master arm switch."
    "We were now over Laos and headed north to the ‘Hook’ in the Red River northwest of Hanoi. The Hook was a prominent landmark for navigation and timing. From there we would go east to the north end of Thud Ridge, down Thud Ridge to the southeast and then direct to the target. Oak flight was a couple of minutes ahead of Pecan as we headed down the ridge."
    "As the Red River Valley opened out in front of us I could see the real meaning of ‘flak so thick you can walk on it’. We were at 9,000 feet and 540 knots. It looked like every five-level gunner in North Vietnam had been turned lose. The gray puffs of the 37 mm flak were going off at about 6,000 feet so I didn't have the feeling of imminent danger at that particular moment but I knew damn well we would have to penetrate the flak level sometime. The flak was everywhere you looked across the entire valley."
    "Suddenly, ‘SAM at two o’clock for Oak three’, came over the radio."
    "Number [Oak] Three was the only one with vector gear. [Cooper had vector gear but never turned it on. He was an "old school" pilot and distrusted the new "fangled" electronics.] He [Oak 3] had a SA-2 at his right, two o’clock position that was tracking us. I was on the right wing looking across the formation, which made the SAM site in front of me or slightly to my right. Number [Oak] Three rolled inverted."
    ‘LAUNCH, LAUNCH, take it down, take it down’ crackled over the radio.
    "I rolled inverted and pulled over five g`s to get the nose 45 degrees low. I rolled upright and pulled again to get back to level flight. The SAM was less than 100 feet directly in front of me with the booster still burning. The lettering and numbers were easily seen as the missile continued straight up. That one was meant for me had it not been for [Oak] threes call."
    "As I pulled up and to the left I looked at Lead [Oak 1, Coopers plane]. Another SAM impacted his airplane at that moment. He had not maneuvered and was still at 9,000 feet heading straight for the target. The large, orange fireball consumed the entire airplane. Didn't he [Cooper] hear Three’s call for the ‘take it down’?"
    ‘Two, do you have three in sight?’
    ‘Roger, Three.’
    ‘Get on my wing. We are going on in.’
    "Number three picked up responsibility for the formation without any hesitation."
    ‘Four’s hit [Pecan 4, Lt Jerry Driscoll].’
    ‘Four [Pecan 4], you’re on fire."
    "Pecan Four had been hit by flak as the flight entered the valley at the end of Thud Ridge. Pecan four [would have] nearly seven years to go as a POW before being released."
"Oak Three couldn't get us to the bridge because of the weather. Our bombs would be used to creator a road. I moved the throttle outboard for afterburner and pulled the nose up to match number three as he popped up for his dive bomb pass. It would be a left roll in for a pass to the northwest. We had passed within five miles of the bridge but couldn't get to it."     
    "I topped out at 12,000 feet and rolled left and down to reach a 45-degree dive. Coming out of afterburner I tried to hold the airspeed at 450 knots. It seemed eternally slow and I felt a naked vulnerability as I maintained a constant flight path to a bomb release altitude at 4,500 feet. If the gunners are any good at all they are going to be tracking me now. Oak Three and Four were below me and to the right."
    ‘Come off north and get back into the hills.’
    "Oak Three directed the egress to get out of the heavy threat. I dropped the bombs, selected afterburner and turned hard to the north. Jinking left and right I didn't look around until I was in the hills."

    ‘Oak Two, do you have Three?’
    Negative. I think I am out in front of you.
    ‘Head west, head west.’

Bia Giang had cost the Air Force four pilots in two days. The pilot of Oak Four that day would be shot down on a later mission and spend over six years as a POW.
    It was April, 1966. The Secretary of Defense had said we would lose 576 airplanes in Southeast Asia by the end of the next fiscal year (July 1967). He missed it by three. We would lose 111 F-105s in 1966 alone. The Bac Giang Bridge was destroyed by F-105`s on May 5, 1966. The bridge would be repaired many times over. The bridge would be destroyed many times over before the war ended. Many more planes and pilots were lost at the Bac Giang Bridge"

Bob Krone shared a trailer at Korat with Cooper and became Squadron Commander after Coopers death. In talking about Cooper, Bob had this to say: "I was Ops [Operations Officer] and Cooper was Commander, 469th... USAF policy was that we never flew combat at the same time. On 24 April 66, afternoon, I was in Ops and got the word that both Cooper and Driscoll had been shot down.  Major Jimmy Jones was number three in Coopers 4-ship flight. When Jimmy landed I climbed up the ladder to his cockpit. He had tears in his eyes and said, ‘That Stubborn old man.’"

  "Cooper did not believe in taking evasive action. His first combat was in bombers [WWII], straight and level to the target. He also did not use the electronic SAM missile alert system that had been put in our planes early in 1966. The flight members picked up the SAM radar homing on their gear... Jimmy Jones called Coop with the fact they were being painted [targeted]. Coop did not respond or react. Then the missile firing radar came up on the gear. Jones called a ‘Break to the flight,’ the three members of the flight broke to the left and right, Coop kept straight and level and the missile hit him directly." 

In closing Krone said, "Bill Cooper died performing what he believed to be a fighter pilot's highest duty. One evening in the trailer we shared for housing at Korat, he made this statement to me: ‘Only this is real.. ...all else is bullshit’."

Ray Davidson is a syndicated columnist. He can be reached at

Postscript: Jerry Driscoll, Pecan 4, was first moved to the Heartbreak Hotel and later to a prison camp referred to as the Zoo. At the Zoo, Driscoll heard through another POW, Capt. Charlie Boyd, that an interrogator said to him that Cooper had initially survived the crash, but critically injured, he died in a field cradled in the arms of an old Vietnamese farmer.

Alas such an ending is not supported by fact. Part of the confusion lies with the Vietnamese terms for capture or found. Using the term that the squadron Commander had been captured/found and then stating he had been wounded and died in a farmers arms (Casualty Resolution Report of September 2, 1977) causes confusion as to what really happened. Then in 1989 the Japanese journal "Air Combat" showed photos of Coopers downed aircraft and stated that the pilot was wounded.

All of this information was rendered moot by a site visit and exhumation by the Joint Task Force - Full Accounting in November 1997, this site investigation was important for two reasons. The first was a determination that the pilot was in the cockpit upon impact. The second was the interrogatories of eyewitnesses. Chief among these was the former militia leader of Hoang Thanh Township, Le Xuan Bian. Bian saw the aircraft fall and impact in a rice paddy. He tells of his militia having to keep the villagers from around the aircraft due to its being on fire and the exploding ammunition. . That evening when the fire had stopped and they did not hear any more ammunition exploding, he and some other militiamen removed the remains of the pilot.

Coopers remains were wrapped in a woven mat and buried about 100 meters from the aircraft, along a riverbank. Over the ensuing years the remains were exhumed and moved three different times..

The visit to the crash site in 1997 produced limited results and the artifacts recovered are being reviewed by the department of defense labs.

For Cooper’s family, after all these years, all the heartache, it has come down to bone fragments and artifacts for an outside chance of a DNA match. My heart breaks for them, yet I want to believe that God's memory is long, that his silent memories are of a young Bill Cooper growing up in Albany, Georgia, a farming community, more so then than now.  And contrary to Le Xuan Bian’s memories, and those of the other villagers, despite bone fragments and artifacts, I want to believe that God’s memories are of Bill dying in a field, on a farm, in the arms of a farmer.  [Sigh] That he did not die alone.

Authors Note: The "Thud Drivers" and other pilots of the Red River Valley Fighter Pilots Association, a great bunch of guys, made this column possible. God Bless them and my thanks for their efforts over the "Valley", a nation owes each and every one of them its eternal gratitude. For a more about Thud Drivers read Don Henry’s book, Thunderchief, Pelican Press.



Col. William C. Cooper

Remains Returned
William Cooper was born on September 16, 1920, in Dothan, Alabama. He enlisted in the U.S.
Army on July 13, 1939, and entered Infantry Officer Candidate School on September 16, 1940.
After graduating from OCS on November 9, 1942, Lt Cooper transferred to the Army Air Forces
and completed Pilot Training in April 1944. He flew B-24 Liberator bombers in China and the
Pacific Theater from late 1944 until the end of the war. Cooper left active duty and entered
the Air Force Reserve on January 24, 1946, and was recalled to active duty on February 3,
1951. He then served as an instructor pilot until August 1956, when he transferred to the
53rd Fighter Day Squadron (redesignated the 53rd Tactical Fighter Squadron in July 1958)
at Bitburg, Landstuhl, and then Ramstein AB, West Germany, where he served until June 1959.
Maj Cooper then served as an instructor pilot with the 3556th Flying Training Squadron at
Perrin AFB, Texas, from June 1959 to March 1960, followed by service as an Operations
Officer with the 4138th Strategic Wing at Turner AFB, Georgia, from March 1960 to July
1963. His next assignment with the 421st Tactical Fighter Squadron, the 831st Air Division,
and then the 469th Tactical Fighter Squadron at George AFB, California, where he served
from July 1963 to July 1964, and then with the 469th TFS at McConnell AFB, Kansas,
until November 1965. Col Cooper took command of the 469th TFS and deployed with the
unit to Korat Royal Thai AFB, Thailand, in November 1965, and he was listed as Missing-
in-Action on April 24, 1966. Col Cooper was declared dead on February 9, 1978.
See his Air Force Cross Citation.


Final chapter closes for local military family
WFXL FOX 31   04/27/15
According to documents from the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command, known as J-PAC, on April 24th, 1966,Col. Cooper was flying an F-105D plane ...
United States Airman from Albany laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery
WALB-TV  04/27/15
Monday night, after hearing the story, an Albany woman who owned a POW-MIA bracelet with Cooper's name on it decided to give it to the family.






Return to Service Member Profiles

On December 22, 2014, the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) identified the remains of Colonel William Earl Cooper, missing from the Vietnam War.

Colonel Cooper joined the U.S. Air Force from Georgia and was a member of the 469th Tactical Fighter Squadron. On April 24, 1966, he was the pilot of an F-105D Thunderchief that took part in a daytime strike mission on a railroad bridge near Thai Nguyen Industrial Complex in Vietnam. Colonel Cooper's F-105D was hit by a surface-to-air missile during the mission, causing the aircraft to crash. Colonel Cooper was killed in the incident, and his remains were not immediately recovered. In 1989, Vietnamese officials returned a set of remains that allegedly included Col Cooper; however, forensic methods available at the time were unable to identify the remains. In 1993, a joint U.S. and Vietnamese search team received information on a site associated with Col Cooper's loss from a Vietnamese local. Excavations at the site recovered additional remains, aircraft wreckage, and crew-related materials. In 2014, advances in forensic techniques allowed for Col Cooper to be identified from among the remains associated with his loss. 

Colonel Cooper is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. 

If you are a family member of this serviceman, you may contact your casualty office representative to learn more about your service member.