Name: Dewey Renee Butler
Rank/Branch: E3/US Army
Unit: Troop C; 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry; 1st Cavalry Division
Date of Birth: 15 August 1949 (Goldsboro NC)
Home City of Record: Washington DC
Date of Loss: 14 July 1969
Country of Loss: South Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 111559N 1064500E (XT910459)
Status (in 1973): Killed/Body Not Recovered
Category: 3
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: UH1B
Refno: 1466

Other Personnel In Incident: WO Ernest Burns; co-pilot SSG Ray G. Davis
(platoon Sgt, flying as crew chief on this mission), Maj Thomas M. Felton
(aircraft and Troop Commander); all killed, remains recovered.

Source: Compiled from one or more of the following: raw data from U.S.
Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA families,
published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK in 2004 with
information provided by Rickey McDonald.  2020


SYNOPSIS: On a rainy July 14, 1969, a UH1B gunship helicopter from Troop C,
1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry was sent on a night combat support mission in Binh
Duong Province, South Vietnam about 10 miles northeast of Ben Cat. Its crew
included Maj. Thomas M. Felton, pilot; Warrant officer Ernest D. Burns
copilot;  PFC Dewey R. Butler, door gunner; Sgt. Ray G. Davis, platoon Sgt and
flying as crew chief on this mission. The UH1B was operating with a
"Pink Team" when it collided in mid-air with the team's OH6A LOH

The UH1B lost it's main rotor system and severed the tail boom of the OH6A.
The UH1B exploded and caught fire, and continued in a northwesterly heading
until it hit trees and exploded. It then crashed and burned. All four
crewmembers of the UH1B were killed, but the three crewmembers of the OH6A
survived and were evacuated from the area.

The primary mission of 1/9 cav 1st Cav Div was reconnaissance and they
primarily operated independently from other units. The color system of
identifying the various units was peculiar to cavalry units. The white
section, or "Whites" were the scouts. The LOH lost on July 14, was a
"White". The "Reds" were the gun platoon, and were normally Cobra gunships
or UH1C / UH1B gunships, which were usually flown by the Troop Commander as
a Command and control aircraft. The blue section was the Aero Rifle Platoon.

The common acronym used to describe infantry within the cavalry unit is
"Blues", just as other units described infantry as "grunts". The team of
two, a LOH and Cobra helicopters came to be known as a "Pink" team and also
called Hunter -Killer teams.  When the pink team found an enemy unit that
they wanted to pursue, they would attack with the gunships and then call the
"Blues". The "Whites" would provide scouting assistance in inserting and
extracting "Blues", while the "Reds" provided cover. The Blues were inserted
and extracted by the "lift" platoon of UH1H or UH1D aircraft.

Butler's aircraft was a red platoon aircraft and the command and control
aircraft on this mission.

When search teams located the wreckage of the helicopters, they found the
bodies of Burns, Davis, and Felton and Butler whose remains had been
mutilated. Identification was still possible as the LRRP Captain on the
search and rescue team recognized Butler's negroid features immediately. It
was felt that the mutilation was not done by the enemy but was caused by the
violent crash.

All of the bodies were left at the crash site for that night because of
heavy enemy activity, the following day Butler's body had disappeared before
it could be recovered and an official positive identification could be made.
As Pig tracks were found leading away from the area, it was believed that
the remains may have been carried away by animals and could not be

There was, however,  a boot recovered with the foot of a negroid male.  The
UH1B, OH6A and many other aircraft were in this area supporting a team of
LRRP Rangers that had been ambushed, killing all but one of the LRRPS.  This
team was attempting to locate a site to insert the Blues to rescue the LRRP
and recover the bodies.  Due to the low light conditions the two aircraft
collided.  Sgt Davis had replaced the regular crew chief on this bird
because that crew chief was flying on another bird at the time.  SSG Davis
was scheduled to leave Vietnam and the Army in 3 days.

Dewey Butler's name is on the roll of missing because his family has
received no body to bury. Others on the lists of unaccounted for cannot be
so easily explained. Experts now believe that hundreds of the nearly 2400
missing are still alive, held captive. Dewey Butler may be dead, but he
would surely be willing to fly one more mission to help his comrades to
freedom were he alive. Why can't we bring these men home?


The information I have provided is an accurate record of Dewey Butler and
the accident that killed him and the other crew members.  I was the regular
assigned crew chief of that aircraft but I had been flying in another LOH
that day, which was supporting the LRRP team before they were ambushed,
because my aircraft, the UH1B, was not flying.  SSG Davis took this flight
when Major Felton came out to the flight line and wanted to go to the site
to command the mission.  There were only three crew chiefs in the Troop that
were experienced on UH1B or UH1C aircraft.  Two were unavailable leaving SSG
Ray Davis who flew as crew chief.  Dewey Butler was a very special person
that I will never forget.  We had great times flying together, even though
it was a short time.

Rickey McDonald LMHC





Return to Service Member Profiles

On July 14, 1969, a UH-1B Iroquois (tail number 62-2063) with four crew members was conducting a nighttime combat support mission over South Vietnam when it collided in mid-air with an OH-6 Cayuse. The UH-1 crashed and burned as a result of the collision, and one of its crew members could not be accounted for after the crash.

Private First Class Dewey Renee Butler, who entered the U.S. Army from the District of Columbia, served with Troop C of the 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, and was the gunner aboard this UH-1 at the time of its loss. He could not be recovered and remains unaccounted for. The U.S. Army promoted Private First Class Butler to the rank of corporal following the incident. Today, Coproral Butler is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

Based on all information available, DPAA assessed the individual's case to be in the analytical category of Non-recoverable.

If you are a family member of this serviceman, DPAA can provide you with additional information and analysis of your case. Please contact your casualty office representative.

Service member profile discrepancy? Please help us ensure the accuracy of each profile by submitting documentation about a service member profile.