Name: Neil Stanley Bynum
Rank/Branch: O2/US Air Force
Date of Birth: 29 August 1943
Home City of Record: Vian OK
Date of Loss: 26 October 1969
Country of Loss: Laos
Loss Coordinates: 171300N 1060800E (XE212041)
Status (in 1973): Missing In Action
Category: 2
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: F4D
Refno: 1505
Other Personnel In Incident: Gray D. Warren (missing)

Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 15 June 1990 from one or more of
the following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence
with POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W.


SYNOPSIS: When North Vietnam began to increase their military strength in
South Vietnam, NVA and Viet Cong troops again intruded on neutral Laos for
sanctuary, as the Viet Minh had done during the war with the French some
years before. The border road, termed the "Ho Chi Minh Trail" was used for
transporting weapons, supplies and troops.

The communists poured through the Mu Gia, Bartholemy and Ban Karai Passes in
the mountains along the border of Laos and Vietnam and went over into Laos
and down the trail. As time went by, the NVA established substantial missile
and AAA sites as well as logistic facilities near the passes as well as in a
sector north of the DMZ. The passes were of special concern, as U.S. fighter
planes were frequently routed through them when they were headed into
Vietnam from Thailand. Efforts were continually being made to clear these
areas. Hundreds of American pilots were shot down trying to stop this
communist traffic to South Vietnam. Fortunately, search and rescue teams in
Vietnam were extremely successful and the recovery rate was high.

Still there were nearly 600 who were not rescued. Many were alive on the
ground and in radio contact with search and rescue and other planes; some
were known to have been captured. Hanoi's communist allies in Laos, the
Pathet Lao, publicly spoke of American prisoners they held, but when peace
agreements were negotiated, Laos was not included, and not a single American
was released that had been held in Laos.

On April 23, 1LT Neil S. Bynum and Capt. Gray D. Warren were flying an F4D
Phantom on a mission near the Ban Karai pass when the plane was shot down.
Both men were declared missing in action. It was felt that ample evidence
existed that the enemy could account for both men.

In 1973, when American prisoners were released, the families of those men
lost in Laos were shocked to find that not one man had been released from
Laos, although they had been told negotiations had included them. Many knew
their man had survived, some had evidence of captivity.

There has been no negotiated release of prisoners from Laos since the war
ended. The nearly 600 Americans are still there, and tragically, reports
continue to be received that some are still alive as captives. Neil Bynum
and Gray Warren could be among them. It's long past time we brought our men

Gray D. Warren graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1965. Neil S.
Bynum was promoted to the rank of Captain during the period he was
maintained missing.



Return to Service Member Profiles

On October 26, 1969, an F-4D Phantom II (tail number 65-0751, call sign "Wolf 05") departed Ubon Airfield, Thailand, carrying two crew members on an armed Forward Air Controller (FAC) mission near Ban Karai Pass, Laos. "Wolf 05" had been airborne for thirty-five minutes when it requested permission to fire upon an enemy ground vehicle in the target area. The Phantom made two successful passes over the target, but when attempting its third pass, it was fired upon by enemy forces and crashed. Other aircraft flying in the mission area reported seeing a large fireball and aircraft wreckage scattered at the crash site. No parachutes were observed and no rescue beeper signals were detected. The crash site was in jungle-covered mountains northeast of Ban Lobey and southwest of the Laos/North Vietnamese border in Khammouan Province. An immediate aerial search and recovery effort was unsuccessful in locating the two crew members.

First Lieutenant Neil Stanley Bynum entered the U.S. Air Force from Oklahoma and was a member of the 435th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 8th Tactical Fighter Wing. He was the pilot of this Phantom when it was shot down, and he was lost with the aircraft. His remains were not recovered. Subsequent to the incident, and while carried in the status of missing in action (MIA), the U.S. Air Force promoted First Lieutenant Neil Stanley Bynum to the rank of Captain (Capt). Today, Captain Bynum is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

Based on all information available, DPAA assessed the individual's case to be in the analytical category of Active Pursuit.

If you are a family member of this serviceman, DPAA can provide you with additional information and analysis of your case. Please contact your casualty office representative.

Service member profile discrepancy? Please help us ensure the accuracy of each profile by submitting documentation about a service member profile.