EBERLY, DAVID WILLIAM
Name: David William Eberly
Rank/Branch: O6/US Air Force
Unit: 336th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 4th Tactical Fighter Wing
Age: 43
Home City: Goldsboro NC
Date of Loss: 17 January 1991
Country of Loss: Unknown
Loss Coordinates:
Status: Released POW 03/05/91
Acft/Vehicle/Ground: F15E
Other Personnel in Incident: Thomas E. Griffith (released)
Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 09 March 1991 from one
or more of the following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources,
published sources, interviews. Updated POW NETWORK 2002.
REMARKS: OPERATION DESERT STORM
SYNOPSIS: In the early days of hositlities in the Middle East, about one
dozen American pilots were shot down and declared missing. The Pentagon,
reluctant to release more information than was necessary, released only
name, rank, branch of service and age of each missing man. Family members,
friends and media sources reported more.
On January 20, 1991, the Pentagon announced that Colonel David W. Eberly, US
Air Force, was Missing from early offensive strikes over Iraq and Kuwait. No
further information was given as to date of loss, location of loss or
probability of survival.
Eberly's mother spoke with Associated Press later that day and gave further
information on her son. Eberly is a native of Brazil, Indiana and graduated
from Brazil High School in 1965. He graduated from Indiana University in
1969 with a bachelor's degree in business administration. While at IU,
Eberly was a member of Delta Tau Delta fraternity and the Reserve Officers
Training Corps. Eberly is married and is currently stationed at Seymour
Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro, North Carolina where he is the deputy
commander for the 4th Tactical Fighter Wing. He is the pilot of an F15E and
both he and his navigator, Thomas E. Griffith, Jr., are missing. The
aircraft did not return from his mission over Kuwait or Iraq on January 17,
1991, according to the Defense Department.
On January 20, 1991, a video interview of Allied POWs was broadcast on Iraqi
television. First the audio portion, then the video, were shown in the U.S.
by Cable News Network (CNN). Seven Allied POWs (including three Americans)
had been paraded through Baghdad in a propaganda move and coerced into
making "peace" statements. All appeared to be speaking under extreme duress.
On January 25, video of Col. Eberly was shown on CNN. He was unshaven and
complained of suffering from a neck injury, but otherwise seemed to be in
fair condition. He identified himself and said his targets had been "Scud
missile and associated chemical facilities."
Another man (interviewed) identified himself as Major Thomas Edward
Griffith, 34, said he was an F15E navigator based at al-Kharj, Saudi Arabia.
Maj. Griffith was Col. Eberly's weapons system officer.
On March 3, 1991, Thomas E. Griffith was released by the Iraqis, followed by
Eberly on March 6. Griffith was released in a group of six Americans and
Eberly was released with a group of 15. Generally, the POWs reported they
were treated well.
Eberly and his wife, Barbara, have one 18-year-old son. Eberly's mother,
Evelyn Wallace, resides in Brazil, Indiana.