RIP 07/27/2013

Name: George Everett Day
Rank/Branch: O4/United States Air Force
Unit: 37th TFW Misty FAC (Commando Sabre Super FACs)
Date of Birth: 24 February 1925
Home City of Record: Niagra Falls NY
Date of Loss: 26 August 1967
Country of Loss: North Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 170100N 1065800 E
Status (in 1973): Returnee
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: F-100F, #3954
Missions: 139
        PFC/Corp in WWII - 30 months South and Central Pacific April 42 - Nov 45
        2 Tours Air Defense F-84's - Radar tracking missions vs. Soviet radar Vladivostok
        Bay and Soviet Coast.

Incident No: 0814

Other Personnel in Incident: Capt. Corwin Kippenham, escaped, evaded,
rescued, pilot
Source: Compiled by P.O.W. NETWORK 09 March 1997 from one or more of the
following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence with
POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews, quotes from "And Brave Men,
Too" by Timothy Lowry.
Day was the forward Air Control Pilot in the F-100F on a strike mission over
a missile site near the DMZ when he was hit. B-52s were bombing along the
southern edge of the DMZ. He started a pass coming in from the southeast to
the northwest. He was doing about five hundred and was full of fuel when the
plane was hit in the aft section.
The GIB (guy in front) was on his first mission. The sequence for ejection
was that the back seat had to go first. Day fired the canopy and punched
out. The GIB followed almost immediately and landed about a mile and half
away, a little south, between twenty-five and forty miles north of the DMZ.
A rescue helicopter picked him up as the Vietcong got to Day. By the time
the helicopter attempted Day's rescue, the the Vietcong had stripped Day and
had moved about a quarter mile.
In the ejection, Day's left arm was broken in three places, twice in the
forearm and once in the upper arm. He was blinded in the left eye for a long
time due to a blood clot or a bruise. His left knee was dislocated, as he
hit the ground unconscious.
The militia group that captured Day were undisciplined, untrained "kids"
between sixteen and twenty years old. That did not prevent them from
establishing a brutal torture regimen. Day recalls, "They would tie up my
feet with about twenty-five feet of a cotton clothesline rope. It was one of
the funniest things you ever saw. They would wrap it around my legs about
twenty times and then tie up to sixty granny knots in the rope. Damndest
exercise I had ever seen. It was really kind of funny. After they stopped
tying my hand to the ceiling, I started practicing and after a while I could
untie the whole strand of rope around my feet in twenty or thirty minutes -
it was a piece of cake."
Early in his captivity he was able to escape. At the time, Major Day was
about forty miles north of the DMZ, and from visual sightings during
previous flights, he believed that the region consisted entirely of rice
paddies all the way down to the DMZ. However, four or five miles south of
the camp, the paddies changed to hard, cleared land. After traversing the
rice paddies, Day continued for about ten miles until he hit an area of
light forestation at dawn. After making about twenty miles that first night,
he stopped to rest near a North Vietnamese artillery position that was
After staying awake more than 24 hours, Day lost all reference to the sky in
a cloudy mist. He slid under some bushes and went to sleep. After it stopped
raining, "something landed very close to me, and I took a hit in the leg.
The concussion picked me up off the ground and then crunch back down. My
sinuses and eardrums were ruptured and I was really nauseated. I barfed and
barfed and barfed and barfed until I thought I'd barfed my kidneys out. I
lost my equilibrium and couldn't even stand up. I was bleeding out of the
nose and some of the vomit was bloody. A couple days later when I felt
better I took off and was walking fairly well although my leg began to swell
because of the shrapnel I'd taken in it. That day I lost about a mile
because I started walking in circles. Somewhere about the tenth day I
started running out of control. I began to hallucinate and talk out loud. I
didn't realize what happens after you starve yourself. It would frighten me
to hear myself talking out loud and the hallucinations were just wild."
The hallucinations drove Day right into the path of the Vietcong. He tried
to take off running, but after the fourth or fifth step, they started
firing. He was hit in the leg and hand, but he continued down the trail for
about thirty feet before veering off and passing out. He was unconscious
somewhere between eleven and fifteen days. They took him back to the same
camp he had escaped from, with the trip lasting thirty-seven hours.
That October he had the first interrogator who spoke English. Day could
barely understand him - but the brutality from him was loud and clear. The
arm that had partly healed, was broken again.
"They had hung me up from the ceiling and paralyzed this [left] hand for
about a year and a half. I could barely move my right hand. My wrist curled
up and my fingers were curling. I could just barely move my [right] thumb
and forefinger."
"In some of the torture sessions, they were trying to make you surrender.
The name of the game was to take as much brutality as you could until you
got to the point that you could hardly control yourself and then surrender.
The next day they'd start all over again."
"I knew what he was - he was obviously Cuban and had either been raised at
or near the U.S. Naval base at Guantanamo. He knew every piece of American
slang and every bit of American vulgarity, and he knew how to use them
perfectly. He knew Americans and understood Americans. He was the only one
in Hanoi who did.
"I had gotten to the Zoo on April 30, 1968, and he had already pounded Earl
Cobiel out of his senses. No one knows exactly what happened. A young gook,
whose name escapes me, and two other beaters beat him all night. They
brought him out after a fourteen or fifteen-hour session, and he obviously
didn't have a clue as to what was going on. He was totally bewildered and he
never came unbewildered.
"The gooks kept thinking he was putting on, so they would keep torturing
him. The crowning blow came when one of the guards some people called Goose
struck him across the face with a fan belt under his eye, and the eyeball
popped out.
"The guy never flinched, and that was the first time the gooks finally got
the picture that maybe they'd scrambled his brains.
"It sounds so savage you have trouble picturing it."

SOURCE: WE CAME HOME  copyright 1977
Captain and Mrs. Frederic A Wyatt (USNR Ret), Barbara Powers Wyatt, Editor
P.O.W. Publications, 10250 Moorpark St., Toluca Lake, CA 91602
Text is reproduced as found in the original publication (including date and
spelling errors).
UPDATE - 02/97 by the P.O.W. NETWORK, Skidmore, MO with material provided by
Col. Bud Day, RET USAF
Colonel - United States Air Force
Shot Down: August 26, 1967
Released: March 14, 1973
Bud Day was born on February 24, 1925. He dropped out of high school in 1942
to join the Marine Corps where he spent thirty months overseas in the
Pacific Theatre, leaving active service in 1945. He joined the Army Reserve,
acquired a Juris Doctor from the University of South Dakota in 1949, and a
BS and Doctor of Humane Letters from Morningside College, Sioux City, Iowa.
The "smartest move of my life", says Bud was his marrying Doris Marlene
Sorensen in 1949. Bud was recalled by the USAF as a Second Lieutenant in
1951 and he attended jet pilot training followed by two tours in Korea and
four years flying fighters in England (He made Air Force history with the
first no-chute bailout from an F-84-F in 1957!)
The Days adopted their first son, Steven, and were soon reassigned as
Commandant of Cadets, St. Louis University, Missouri. Bud acquired a Master
of Arts in political science. They adopted a second son, George E. Jr., in
1963 and the family spent three years in Niagara Falls, N.Y., where Colonel
Day flew fighters. The family was increased by twin adopted girls, Sandra
M., and Sonja M., just before Bud was assigned to fly a F-100 fighter bomber
in South Vietnam. After seventy-two missions, he was reassigned as Commander
of MISTY, the first jet FAC unit flying in North Vietnam. He was shot down
on the sixty-seventh mission while striking a missile site. During ejection
he had three breaks in his right arm, and a dislocated left knee.
Colonel Day was the Commander of several Vietnamese prisons, the Zoo,
Heartbreak Hotel, Skidrow, and Misty and Eagle Squadrons. He was
incarcerated for sixty-seven months, and executed the only successful escape
from North Vietnam into the South. He was recaptured near Quang Tri City,
South Vietnam, after about two weeks of freedom. He was shot in the left leg
and hand, and had shrapel wounds in his right leg. For this he was heavily
tortured, since he was labeled as having a "bad attitude." He was "hung",
his arms were broken and paralyzed.
As Commander of the Barn in the Zoo, he was the last of the "Old Heads"
tortured - a four month stretch in irons, solo, and massive beatings with
the fan belt and "rope". Of six, he was one of three who survived from
Heartbreak Hotel in 1970.
Asked many times what sustained Americans in this environment, Colonel Day
answers: "I am, and have been all my life, a loyal American. I have faith in
my country, and am secure in the knowledge that my country is a good nation,
responsible to the people of the United States and responsible to the world
community of nations. I believed in my wife and children and rested secure
in the knowledge that they backed both me and my country. I believe in God
and that he will guide me and my country in paths of honorable conduct. I
believe in the Code of Conduct of the U.S. fighting man. I believe the most
important thing in my life was to return from North Vietnam with honor, not
just to return. If I could not return with my honor, I did not care to
return at all. I believe that in being loyal to my country that my country
will be loyal to me. My support of our noble objectives will make the world
a better place in which to live."
Note: Colonel Day has written a book telling of his experiences in
more detail. It is entitled, "Return with Honor."
Colonel Day's decorations include our nation's highest - the Medal of Honor,
Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star, Air
Medal, Purple Heart, POW Medal and other Vietnam service awards and medals.
He has numerous awards and medals from his service prior to Vietnam.
His family resides in Glendale, Arizona. His wife was intensely active in
POW/MIA affairs and was chosen TAC wife of the year as well as receiving
other honors for service to the POW-MIA cause. They expect to continue
residence in Phoenix and enter law and politics after retirement from the

George "Bud" Day retired from the United States Air Force as a Colonel in
1977. He was awarded the Medal of Honor and is the most decorated officer
since MacArthur. Reflecting on his time in captivity, Day says, "Freedom has
a special taste!
Day and his wife Doris have been married 48 years . They reside in Florida,
where he is a practicing attorney. He is involved with litigation protecting
Veterans Health Care Benefits. In his spare time he enjoys hunting. "Bud"
and Doris have 4 children and 10 grandchildren.
                            Medal of Honor
Rank and organization: Colonel (then Major), U.S. Air Force, Forward Air
Controller Pilot of an F-100 aircraft
Place and date: North Vietnam, 26 August 1967
Entered service at: Sioux City, Iowa
Born: 24 February 1925, Sioux City, Iowa
On 26 August 1967, Col. Day was forced to eject from his aircraft over North
Vietnam when it was hit by ground fire. His right arm was broken in 3
places, and his left knee was badly sprained. He was immediately captured by
hostile forces and taken to a prison camp where he was interrogated and
severely tortured. After causing the guards to relax their vigilance, Col.
Day escaped into the jungle and began the trek toward South Vietnam. Despite
injuries inflicted by fragments of a bomb or rocket, he continued southward
surviving only on a few berries and uncooked frogs. He successfully evaded
enemy patrols and reached the Ben Hai River, where he encountered U.S.
artillery barrages. With the aid of a bamboo log float, Col. Day swam across
the river and entered the demilitarized  zone. Due to delirium, he lost his
sense of direction and wandered aimlessly for several days. After several
unsuccessful attempts to signal U.S. aircraft, he was ambushed and
recaptured by the Viet Cong, sustaining  gunshot wounds to his left hand and
thigh. He was returned to the prison from which he had escaped and later was
moved to Hanoi after giving his captors false information to questions put
before him. Physically, Col. Day was totally debilitated and unable perform
even the simplest task for himself. Despite his many injuries, he continued
to offer maximum resistance. His personal bravery in the face of deadly enemy
pressure was significant in saving the lives of fellow aviators who were
still flying against the enemy. Col. Day's conspicuous gallantry and
intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in
keeping with  the highest traditions of the U.S. Air Force and reflect great
credit upon himself and the U.S. Armed Forces.
American Patriot: The Life and Wars of Colonel Bud Day
by Robert Coram
First he won the Medal of Honor, then he took on the U.S. government-the
riveting story of Colonel George "Bud" Day, the most decorated officer in
modern U.S. history. (Little, Brown and Company, Hardcover, Biography,
$27.99, ISBN: 0-316-75847-7 / 978-0-316-75847-5)
Pub date: May 3, 2007
Chapter 1:
It has been our pleasure to receive and review and early copy of this fine
The story took on a very personal note as we met Bud and Dorie Day through
Col Ted Guy back in 1996. Bud had JUST started on his campaign of "Broken
Promises" on a long road through the courts and we were able to watch a true
patriot in action from the beginning of the fight to the end.
The book was impossible to put down. The little bits of Bud's life we knew
from our time at reunions and chance meetings took on a new perspective with
Coram's book. The glimpses into his soul as the story details his life leads
one to believe he is much more an extraordinary man than a rare yet annual
meeting might reveal.
His determination, his faith, his perseverance through 3 wars, captivity
with the most horrific of circumstances, his bold fight against the United
States Government on behalf of WWII veterans health care, his fight with
honor and integrity during the Swift Boat campaign against John Kerry, all
supported by a caring and determined family, gives one a story that is truly
worth reading over and over again.
We were able to walk away after reading this book with a revelation that we
have truly gotten to know an outstanding officer, a faithful husband,
and a special father worthy of the name "hero."
Thanks for the intro Col Guy. Thank You Robert Coram  - for the rest of the

American Patriot: The Life and Wars of Colonel Bud Day
by Robert Coram

First he won the Medal of Honor, then he took on the U.S. government—the riveting story of Colonel George "Bud" Day, the most decorated officer in modern U.S. history. (Little, Brown and Company, Hardcover, Biography, $27.99, ISBN: 0-316-75847-7 / 978-0-316-75847-5)
Pub date: May 3, 2007


More info


Col. Bud Day takes over reins at public defender's office

January 5, 2009 - 8:05PM

Col. Bud Day, war hero and attorney, has been chosen by newly elected Public Defender James Owens to head the Public Defender's Office in Okaloosa County....

Legislature renames State Road 397 to honor Col. Bud Day

2010-04-30 18:32:41

Travelers on State Road 397 from Government Avenue to the north gate of Eglin Air Force Base soon will be riding on Colonel Bud Day Boulevard thanks to legislation sponsored by Senator Don Gaetz, and passed by the House and Senate on April 27.....

June 2013
BTS: Golden Hour Cover Shoot of Medal of Honor Recipient Col. Bud Day
Colonel George Everette “Bud” Day is a retired U.S. Air Force Command Pilot who served his country during the Vietnam war,
enduring a stint as a POW and earning the Medal of Honor and the Air Force Cross. When he was asked to be on the cover of ...


JUNE 27, 2013

Our dear old friend and leader, Bud Day, has passed away.  I talked with
Dorie a few minutes ago.  His children and most of his grandchildren
were with him.  He slipped away peacefully.  He is no longer in pain,
and he has gone home. He will be watching over us all.
The funeral will be Thursday.  He will be buried at Barrancas National
Cemetery at Naval Air Station Pensacola. 


Thursday, Aug 1

Location of funeral service:  Emerald Coast Convention Center, Ft Walton
(There will be a section in the Convention Center for former POWs & family
I understand).  Funeral services by
Viewing:  0900-1100
Funeral Service:  1100
Procession to Barrancas National Cemetery at NAS Pensacola immediately
after the funeral service
(This is likely at least an hour of travel, more like an hour and half, probably)
(There are some parking lots near the cemetery, which is adjacent to NOMI,
I believe, but simply not sure)
Graveside service to begin at 1500
Note:  The AF Chief of Staff's Office notified me that the USAF WILL
provide a missing man formation - Tom H
According to Davis Watkins Funeral Home, rather than flowers, the family
has requested donations to either the Wounded Warrior Association or the
Good Shepard Lutheran Church in Shalimar FL.
GB Bud Day!



Col. Bud Day, Medal of Honor Recipient, Dies at 88 ABC News
Retired Col. George "Bud" Day, a Medal of Honor recipient who spent 5½ years as a POW in Vietnam and was Arizona Sen. John McCain's cellmate, has died.
Medal of Honor winner from Sioux City dies at 88 Lincoln Journal Star
He was Sioux City's only Medal of Honor winner and one of the nation's most highly decorated servicemen since Gen. Douglas MacArthur, earning 70 medals, ...
Medal of Honor Winner 'Bud' Day Dies ABC News
Retired Col. George "Bud" Day waves to the crowd at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn. Sept. 2, 2008. Day was a Medal of Honor recipient ...
Passing Of Medal Of Honor Recipient Col. George “Bud” Day WBFS
MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — Medal of Honor recipient Retired Col. George “Bud” Day, who spent 5½ years as a POW in Vietnam and was Arizona Sen.
Bud Day, Sioux City native and Medal of Honor winner, dies at 88
Day is Sioux City's only Medal of Honor winner and was the nation's most-decorated living service member. He also received the National Order of Vietnam, the ...
Medal of Honor recipient George 'Bud' Day dies at 88 | Matt Knight
Day was the "bravest man I ever knew," Sen. John McCain said Sunday of the war hero with whom he shared a cell as a prisoner in North Vietnam.
Col. Bud Day, Medal of Honor recipient, dies at 88 - Herald Online
Retired Col. George "Bud" Day, a Medal of Honor recipient who spent 5½ years as a POW in Vietnam and was Arizona Sen. John McCain's cellmate, has died at ...
Rock Hill Herald Online -- National Politics
Air Force Col. Bud Day, Medal of Honor recipient, dies at 88 | The ...
MIAMI (AP) — Retired Col. George Bud Day, a Medal of Honor recipient who spent 5½ years as a POW in Vietnam and was Arizona Sen. John.
The Intelligence News
Col. Bud Day, Medal of Honor recipient, dies at 88 - WCAX.COM ...
Retired Col. George "Bud" Day, a Medal of Honor recipient who spent 5½ years as a POW in Vietnam and was Arizona Sen. John McCain's cellmate, has died.

Photo of President Nixon and Col. Bud Day.


What a Hero Looks Like

Bud Day was perhaps the bravest of the brave at the Hanoi Hilton.


After serving as a U.S. Marine in World War II, a normal man might have concluded that he had done more than his share of military service. And anyone still alive after his parachute failed to open upon ejection from an Air Force jet in the 1950s would consider calling it a military career. But Col. George E. "Bud" Day, who died Saturday at age 88, kept putting himself in harm's way.

And that is why, at age 41, he was flying low over North Vietnam in August 1967. He led a command of forward air controllers—all volunteers because their mission of spotting enemy targets was so dangerous that nearly a quarter of their 155 pilots were shot down. Day's F-100 was one of them, and he was captured and tortured......


To the Airmen of the United States Air Force,
I am the very proud son of an American fighter pilot, one of that treasured group who served in three wars, built an Air Force, and gave it an enduring example of courage and mission success.  My dad was a hero.  As a young man, I asked him who his combat heroes were; he gave me only two names.  One was Major General Frederick “Boots” Blesse and the other was Colonel George E. “Bud” Day.  My dad was not easily impressed, so I knew that if they were his heroes, they were very, very special men.  I was right.  

Earlier this year, my wife Betty and I had the distinct honor of attending Boots Blesse’s funeral at Arlington National Cemetery.  And earlier this week, I heard that Col “Bud” Day had also “flown west.”  Our Air Force is in mourning.  We know we can never replace him, but today, as he is laid to rest, we can honor him.

Many of you know his story.  He fought in the South Pacific as a United States Marine in WWII and later became the Air Force’s most highly decorated warrior.  He was a Medal of Honor recipient with nearly 70 decorations, which span three wars and four decades.

The medals say a lot about Bud Day, but they cannot capture his unbreakable spirit, the life-saving impact he had on his fellow prisoners during his time in captivity, and the inspiration he has been to countless Americans who’ve been fortunate enough to have heard his story or shaken his hand.

In Vietnam in 1967, Major Day commanded a squadron of F-100s, the “Misty” FACs (Forward Air Controllers).  Theirs was one of the most dangerous combat missions of the war, and they suffered high casualties.

On August 26 Day was shot down and captured.  Seven days later, despite having a dislocated knee and a badly broken arm, he escaped captivity and evaded the Viet Cong for 10 days.  He was recaptured just two miles from a US Marine Corps camp at Con Thien.  Getting so close to freedom only to be recaptured would have broken the will of most men.  Not Bud Day. 

He was eventually moved to a prison camp known as The Plantation, where he was tortured daily, and was later moved to the Hanoi Hilton.  Due to his resistance and toughness, Day became an inspiration to other POWs.  His roommate at The Plantation, Senator John McCain, wrote, “He was a hard man to kill, and he expected the same from his subordinates. They (his roommates) saved my life--a big debt to repay, obviously.  But more than that, Bud showed me how to save my self-respect and my honor, and that is a debt I can never repay.”

In 1973, after more than five and a half years in captivity, he was released. The damage by the enemy permanently scarred his body, but his spirit emerged unbroken.  A year later he was back on flight status, he became vice commander of the 33th Tactical Fighter Wing, and retired from active service in 1976.

Col. Bud Day spent a great amount of his remaining years sharing his story with our Airmen, young and old.  Over the past 22 years, many of those Airmen have experienced multiple combat deployments themselves, leaning on the lessons Col Day passed on to all of us, including his two sons, who proudly serve.  

He deeply understood the challenges we face as a military service, “trying to keep America aware of the fact that Airpower has been a substantial reason that we exist as a free nation.”

I spoke with Col Day on the phone a couple of months ago, simply to introduce myself and thank him, on behalf of our entire Air Force, for his remarkable lifetime of service.  I hung up feeling incredibly proud to be an Airman, and grateful that my real-life hero was even more impressive than I had imagined.

Future Airmen will honor his name and treasure his story, not because of the awards and buildings named in his honor, but for the legendary character, the unbreakable spirit and the values he demonstrated each and every day.

Airmen today strive to embody the same honor, courage, and integrity shown by Col Day and those who fought beside him.  And we honor the sacrifices they made in the spirit of airpower and freedom.

“Push it up” Sir…we’re still following your lead.

General, USAF
Chief of Staff


Medal of Honor Recipient Funeral Draws Thousands in Okaloosa ... wmbb
88 year old Colonel George E. Day passed away July 27th at his home in Okaloosa County. The decorated military veteran is a Congressional Medal of Honor ...
Col. 'Bud' Day, Medal of Honor recipient who was McCain's POW ... Washington Post
George “Bud” Day, a Medal of Honor recipient who spent 5½ years as a POW in Vietnam and was Arizona Sen. John McCain's cellmate, has died at the age of ...
Bud Day, Medal of Honor recipient, laid to rest WTSP 10 News
The recipient of the Medal of Honor, Col. Day endured hardship after hardship as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam, but never gave up hope for himself or the ...
THE MOST DECORATED OFFICER IN MODERN U.S. HISTORY - Colonel George "Bud" Day, US Air Force, WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War, Medal of Honor ...
Death of former POW reminds PV woman of Vietnam-era tribute Prescott Daily Courier
Money raised from the sale of the bracelets helped fund various programs publicizing the POW/MIA issue in Vietnam. The organization sold nearly five million ...


The funeral for Col Day was really well done and a great tribute to an American hero.  The remembrances at the service were given by;  Sen John McCain, Rep Jeff Miller, Gen Ron Fogleman, and two former POWs (Leo Thorsness and Orson Swindle) as well as George Day, Jr. There were about 20 former POWs in the audience. I did not got to Barrancas, but there were about 500 cars in the procession.  I am including the link from the local newspaper with coverage of the event.  There are clips of the speeches, the funeral service, the procession and the flyover at the graveside.

Here's a link to some funeral photos:

Write up on official AF news site with 15 more photos.


This is a forward from my brother-in-law R, a TX A&M grad and member of the Corps of Cadets.  Animal 71 refers to one of the units in the Corps.
FYI . . .
Karl E  (aka "Rat" - Animal 71) became good friends with Colonel Day while in Florida these past years.  We have lost a great American.  Do a Google search to learn about who he was.
Below is a link that covers much of who he was and what he stood for.
Take some time to read about this man as he epitomizes the principles upon which this great nation was founded.
Later . . .

 Animals and friends,
This past week has been a blur for Charlotte and I, as we actively participated in the planning and execution of Col Bud Day's funeral on Thursday. Bud's wife Dorie had asked Charlotte to act as the family coordinator to cover the family's wishes on how the funeral would play out. Charlotte worked with the funeral home, the military protocol folks, the church pastor, the county/city reps, the police and security forces, the Emerald Coast Convention Center, and multitudes of well wishers sending notes, emails tweets, messages, etc. I was helping drafting the Obit, fixing up Bud's uniform, and other miscellaneous stuff. We last saw him last Thursday on 29 August before we took a quick trip Saturday morning to Biloxi MS. We knew time was running out, even though we could still converse with him. To the end he was still watching FOX NEWS.  We had just arrived at Biloxi on Saturday when we received a message from one of his daughters that he had passed at 1222 pm. We made a quick turn and went back home since the Day family asked us to. The funeral service and procession from Ft Walton Beach to Barrancas National cemetery at Pensacola NAS (about a 50 mile trip) was something I had never experienced before. About 1,500 people attended his funeral at the Emerald Coast Convention Center. The speakers who gave remembrances during the service were Senator John McCain, US Rep Jeff Miller, Retired Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Ronald Robert Fogleman, two fellow Vietnam POWs, Orson Swindle and Leo Thorsness (MOH), and his son Lt Col (Ret) George Day Jr. It was raining heavily outside during the service, but when it was time to move the flag draped coffin to the hearse, the rain stopped. On the way to Pensacola, it was raining heavily again, but thousands people with flags and signs were lining the highway, which had closed down and allowed the procession of over 500 cars to move fairly quickly on a normally congested highway.  When we arrived at the Navy base, the road was lined with hundreds of Air Force and Marines, all saluting as the whole procession went by. When we arrived at the cemetery ceremony area, the rain stopped. As Day's coffin was removed from the hearse by the AF and Marine Pallbearers, large formations of airmen, sailors and Marines saluted. In the arrival photo, you can barely see me saluting on the upper right edge of the picture. The burial with full military honors included a 21-gun salute, taps and a flyover. When we had requested a flyover on Monday, the 53rd Wing at Eglin was assigned the task. They asked for permission to use four F-4E drone equipped target aircraft from Tyndall AFB to do the honors, since Bud Day and his son had both flown F-4s while on active duty. Wednesday afternoon, the approval came through, and right at the time that the gun salute and Taps happened, the sun emerged, and the F-4s did their missing man formation over the ceremony.
Our Nation has lost one of its greatest sons of liberty and dedicated warriors. Colonel Bud Day was a soldier, statesman, and gentleman throughout his entire life, and he will be greatly missed by all Americans who understand how he gave his "All" for his Family, Country, and fellow military members. It has been a real privilege for Charlotte and me to have known Bud, Dorie, and their family members all these years. Bud's extensive accomplishments while in the military and as a defense lawyer after retirement reflected his intense dedication to always "doing the right thing" and achieving the "mission objectives". There will never be another Bud Day in our lifetime.


A very heartwarming 6 minute video.  Enjoy!!!
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:50 AM
Subject: Col Bud Day's "Requal" in the F-100

MOH recipient, long term Vietnam POW Bud Day.



Morningside College names center after Medal of Honor recipient
KTIV   APRIL 22, 2015
Colonel George "Bud" Day's name is part of American history. His legacy will live on in his hometown at his alma mater. Morningside College ...